• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Experimenting with Wolf, wanting to know about his weaknesses

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
So far I've been testing him, and I feel there's not a single flaw compared to most characters. Superb ground game, superb air game, decent projectile.

The only issue I have is edgehogging and gimping recovery, since a single mistake will kill me due to Wolf's weight and so-so recovery.

Now, I despise Marth; I live to pick a character that will make the prince of cheese suffer miserably. What should I keep in mind as I go hunting for Marths and Pits?

greenthunder130

Smash Rookie
For Pit, I suggest hitting him with the end of a Wolf Flash or just plain meteor smashing him while he's in the air, as Pits recovery is extremely good.
For Marth, I suggest continually shooting and dodging him, basically beating him froma distance.

VormavPrime

Smash Cadet
Wolf has a weakness. Its chaingrabbing from DDD and Falco. Watch out for that and the rest really just depends on your skill against others. I fought a pro Marth today I say the match up is about even. Marth has superior aerial but your Bair can do well against him. Try to stay close to the ground or make him whiff his attacks.

raptyrX

Smash Cadet
Gotta be fast on the recovery man. its possible, it just takes accuracy. Make good use of wolfs forward chain smash at low %'s. U easily get just about anyone to 50% that way.

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
Actually, chaingrabs can be avoided (there's a vid where Wolf escapes DDD's chaingrab somewhere here).

tag yeah

Smash Cadet
Wolf is a good Pit/Marth hunter :). Really all you need to kill marth is a char with a lot of ranged options (TL, Pit, and any GOOD Lucas, Zelda and Lucario will beat a Marth. From my experience at least) And against Pit, I like to fight with Ike or Wolf, depends on the pit I'm fighting though :) wether I would rather have speed or damage.

Tokerella

Smash Apprentice
imo there arent many, weaknesses are as you mentioned luc: firewolf recovery (esp with final desti)

also sometimes i find myself throwing my wb across the room for the stupid mistake of accidentally bstick flashing off the stage.. anyone else? ><

Punz

Smash Rookie
Marth is a good character but im afraid that wolf has it, i mean wolf projectile is very good if u ask me, well with the style Me and another one of my friend use to play wolf, constantly spamming the projectile, against marth users frustrates them, because marth has no projectile, and if he dodges and gets to close a simple dsmash would push him right back out, wolfs fsmash initiates so fast along with his dsmash, once marth swings his sword and u dodge it's over, if your dodging skills are good marth will be a walk over with wolf, havent fought much pro marth's, even tho i have a pro marth, lol but i can't fight myself.

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps it's just that my friend's timing is off, but I can escape from his DDD chaingrabs with a shine. Is this a valid escape from the combo, or am I just able to do it because of my friend's mistake?

InfiniteSmash1221

Smash Cadet
Yeah i love hunting down marths also since my friend mains him. What i try to do is stay at a distance aways from marth and force him to approach me then punish him for the approach and attempting to follow up with other attacks, although his aerials sometimes forces me to pull back on the attack. It usually works, and i normally end up winning 2/3rds of my matches against my friends marth at least (although they are very close either way).

As for weaknesses...can't really think of any big ones besides as you mentioned his recovery, ill often find myself just barely missing the ledge.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I find that wolf seems to suffer from after-attack lag. A lot of his moves are weak to shields. Even Fsmash isn't completely safe on block. His Ftilt is VERY unsafe depending on how the opponent reacts to it, and his running attack is just unsafe through and through.

Also, yeah, his recovery is not top notch, and he seems to have more problems KOing when he needs to as opposed to someone like Fox, who actually can KO a lot sooner than Wolf.

jngshin

Smash Cadet
im a marth main, and against wolf i feel almost cheated. laser spammage -> fsmash punish when i get near is ridiculous. my main problem is that wolf IS NOT GIMPABLE in the hands of a decent player. cant expect a KO under 100%, ever. attempting for a quick gimp kill (should the wolf idiotically be below the ledge at a low % for some random reason), can easily backfire thanks to wolf's recoveries doing ridiculous damage and knockback leading to a quick stagespike. my marth against wolf usually leads to slugfests, very 50/50 which im not used to being a marth player :)

Gibby

Smash Cadet
Wolf has NO ESCAPE from a proper Dedede chainthrow. Someone just won a tourney in my area using Dedede, and I can say very safely you CANNOT get out of it when perfectly executed. I was DI'ing away then mashing down-B, which always works on my friends, and simply didn't have the frame to escape.

Another weakness of Wolf is against edge-camping. There is little you can do against an experienced Pit hanging on the ledge and repeatedly letting go, firing arrows and regrabbing. Your best bet there is just to stand back and shoot until he gives up on it.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Marth vs Wolf is very close IMO. They both have great options and TBH Wolf's laser is not hard to deal with at all. It's easily perfect shielded or SHed over. If Marth spaces well then Wolf will be hard pressed to get Marth back out so he can laser spam. Wolf is definitely easier to use though and do well with. Marth takes alot more thought when dealing with projectile users so it's easy for lower level players to get frustrated.

Plus Wolf's moves are very unorthodox. They have strange properties and it's weird getting used to fighting him.

I think you can make a case for it being in Marth's favor, Wolf's favor or being completely even. Pretty much just like Marth vs Space animals in Melee. I don't think the community will ever be able to fully agree on this match-up about whether or not it's even or in someone's favor. It's just a really close debatable match-up.

I personally say it's in Marth's favor slightly. My reasoning is that with proper spacing Marth doesn't have to worry so much about Wolf's great close range options and Marth's attacks can outprioritize Wolf's B moves and his F-smash so Wolf can't just use them recklessly to hit Marth. Plus Wolf is the easiest character to gimp and Marth has great edgeguarding. You can run out and hit him or just edge hug when he is going to recover.

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
I find that wolf seems to suffer from after-attack lag. A lot of his moves are weak to shields. Even Fsmash isn't completely safe on block. His Ftilt is VERY unsafe depending on how the opponent reacts to it, and his running attack is just unsafe through and through.

Also, yeah, his recovery is not top notch, and he seems to have more problems KOing when he needs to as opposed to someone like Fox, who actually can KO a lot sooner than Wolf.
Oddly enough, for me, his attacks are safe save for his non-SH fair and usmash. =/

Dsmash and bair do the ko-to-kill for Wolf. When properly placed, he can kill at 70%.

§witch

Smash Lord
Marth vs Wolf is very close IMO. They both have great options and TBH Wolf's laser is not hard to deal with at all. It's easily perfect shielded or SHed over. If Marth spaces well then Wolf will be hard pressed to get Marth back out so he can laser spam. Wolf is definitely easier to use though and do well with. Marth takes alot more thought when dealing with projectile users so it's easy for lower level players to get frustrated.

Plus Wolf's moves are very unorthodox. They have strange properties and it's weird getting used to fighting him.

I think you can make a case for it being in Marth's favor, Wolf's favor or being completely even. Pretty much just like Marth vs Space animals in Melee. I don't think the community will ever be able to fully agree on this match-up about whether or not it's even or in someone's favor. It's just a really close debatable match-up.

I personally say it's in Marth's favor slightly. My reasoning is that with proper spacing Marth doesn't have to worry so much about Wolf's great close range options and Marth's attacks can outprioritize Wolf's B moves and his F-smash so Wolf can't just use them recklessly to hit Marth. Plus Wolf is the easiest character to gimp and Marth has great edgeguarding. You can run out and hit him or just edge hug when he is going to recover.
Marth is a good edgeguarder, but all wolf has to do is scar.(Provided you can scar the stage) Otherwise just hit L and you'll roll behind him.

§witch

Smash Lord
I think you're a bit confused. Fox is good at getting up damage %, but when it comes to KOing that's where the problem is. Wolf has alot of Ko moves that he can use at any given time.

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
how do you figure that Wolf has great air game? Yes he has a great ground game but he seems easily beaten in the air, it might jsut be that Kirby has better air game or something, I haven't really played against Wolf players with other characters.

The Kitchen Sink

Smash Rookie
Plenty of weaknesses. Firewolf recovery half-sucks, most of his grabs are lame, his Nair is crap, his blaster fires slowly, the projectile goes slowly and not far, you can "Wolf Illusion" or whatever easily off a side if your fingers slip, his reflector carries his momentum, etc. He makes up for it though in my eyes, while all of that bugs me a lot.

Top Bottom