• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Excuse me? $90 for the ADAPTER!?

Does this anger you?

• Wasn't gonna get the game anyway.

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Keep calm, they're gonna make more.

Votes: 74 40.4%
  • $90!?!?!? HELLO!?

Votes: 27 14.8%
  • Already have one. Guess I'm lucky.

Votes: 67 36.6%
  • Maybe another response?

Votes: 11 6.0%

• Total voters

Azew

Smash Lord
Nintendo always seems to under-produce their products. When pokemon center was re-opened nearly half of the plushes were sold out in minutes. I wonder when they'll learn.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Ehhh, I tried using the GC controller for VC games, and honestly, it sucks. The GC controller is not made for those games in mind.
I actually meant if Nintendo put GC games on the VC then the GC controller would be great for that. But to what you said, I mostly agree.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Ehhh, I tried using the GC controller for VC games, and honestly, it sucks. The GC controller is not made for those games in mind.
I mostly agree with this, although the GC controller works fantastic for N64 games at the very least. ...Shame they aren't even on the Wii U though :/

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I guess profit trumps morals right?
That's not ethically wrong. Your morals might not allow you to do something like that, but retail markets are full of exactly this behind the scenes. Someone was willing to buy at that price, they weren't forced to.

the8thark

Smash Lord
That's not ethically wrong. Your morals might not allow you to do something like that, but retail markets are full of exactly this behind the scenes. Someone was willing to buy at that price, they weren't forced to.
Business puts profits above ethics/morals all the time. It's very common. it's not illegal to do this, but someone who cared for the customer more than how much money they can suck out would think twice about it.

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
You gotta be patient and wait for supply to meet demand. I certainly can wait for an adapter that lets me use a good controller that will only work on a single game...>_>

Tyril132

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tyril132
3DS FC
4957-3662-2945
^ Even then it's arbitrary. The consumer pool retains the right to refuse to purchase until the "aggressive businessman" lowers his price. A consumer's version of collective bargaining, if you will.

It'll remain arbitrary even when we get into drastically ugly cases of food/water scarcity. I obviously wouldn't side with price-gougers, but to call them "immoral" while advocating for action against them (which would probably be theft) would be profoundly hypocritical.
Giving someone a choice whether or not to be taken advantage of doesn't make it arbitrary. The question of whether it is more or less ethically palatable than applying the same practice to goods that are necessary for survival (an actual price gouging model as defined in economics) was never the issue. The "fair price" model doesn't work in this case for a number of reasons that I don't want to sidetrack the discussion with since they can be easily Googled.

the8thark

Smash Lord
It looks like Australia might have sold out of the game + GC adapter bundle also. It used to be up for pre-order at EB Games and a few other websites now it's not there at all. The listing for it is removed. You can only pre-order the straight game now. So it loots like Australians, if you wanted the game + GC adapter bundle, you might have just missed the boat.

It was up for pre-order a 2-3 days ago but now it's not up for pre-order now. SO I assume it's just pre-order sold out.
Just some info for the Australians on these forums.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
It's a joke. This has been the most frustrating Smash title to date, and it's a better game than the last one. I have everything I need but the adapter, I've spent so much and I still can't play the game in comfortable manner... I just love the series so much I am trying to get enjoyment out of it along the way, I made the most out of the 3DS even though I knew the Wii U was going to put it to the shelf, 4k games later and instead I've had my hype drained, I've had my wallet drained, and after the walk to GameStop just now to find this news I'm just pissed off. I check ebay, amazon etc. and slimeballs are already at it. **** this game until the price for these otherwise useless accessories go down. Really just getting fed up and yet I know I'm going to love it when I get it... but that doesn't change fair frustration.

the8thark

Smash Lord
****, I'm tempted to go buy one just to sell it off.
Have fun finding one for Regular Retail Price. They are sold out everywhere (apart from the flippers selling for profit.)
Gl finding one you slimeball.
I agree with you 100% but many people on this topic think this flipping them for profit like this is ok. I certainly don't though.

Last edited:

Mechageo

Smash Ace
It's a joke. This has been the most frustrating Smash title to date, and it's a better game than the last one. I have everything I need but the adapter, I've spent so much and I still can't play the game in comfortable manner... I just love the series so much I am trying to get enjoyment out of it along the way, I made the most out of the 3DS even though I knew the Wii U was going to put it to the shelf, 4k games later and instead I've had my hype drained, I've had my wallet drained, and after the walk to GameStop just now to find this news I'm just pissed off. I check ebay, amazon etc. and slimeballs are already at it. **** this game until the price for these otherwise useless accessories go down. Really just getting fed up and yet I know I'm going to love it when I get it... but that doesn't change fair frustration.
Have you considered getting a Hori Battle Pad until the price comes down?

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Gl finding one you slimeball.
Have fun funding one for Regular Retail Price. They are sold out everywhere (apart from the flippers selling for profit.)
Good thing I know a few people who don't know of these prices and aren't enjoying smash 4 that much....

I'm almost tempted to sell the one that I do have just to buy another one later.

I'm horrible, I know.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
It's at times like these that I'm glad I stocked up on CCPs before they announced the Gamecube adapter.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Have you considered getting a Hori Battle Pad until the price comes down?
I appreciate the suggestion, but I've poured enough money into this one gaming experience already. And I previously ordered and have waiting for me a fresh old version GCC by nintendo that feels fantastic. I'm itching to play with it... it's torture having the experience being SO close to ideal.

Maruigi

Smash Rookie
I think it's a little silly people are doing this but I mean, money is money.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I agree! I want to play Mario Kart 8 with the GameCube controller!
The problem is that doing so will cut into their own controller profits. They'll sell fewer Pro Controllers and whatnot if we can start using GCC on everything.

Newt Floss

Smash Journeyman
The problem is that doing so will cut into their own controller profits. They'll sell fewer Pro Controllers and whatnot if we can start using GCC on everything.
If that was the case they wouldn't have made the game compatible with every controller they've ever made since 2006. The Pro Controllers mean nothing to their profit margins.

Cobli Samus

Smash Rookie
NNID
SamusAran1979
I realize that...and I don't care lol. GC controllers were great, so if they're bringing it back for Smash, let's have it for other things.

Last edited:

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
If that was the case they wouldn't have made the game compatible with every controller they've ever made since 2006. The Pro Controllers mean nothing to their profit margins.
I suppose that's true, but they still push those other controllers in stores. Currently, the adapter and new GCC are specifically Smash logo'd. They will likely have a limited run.

Either way, I just worry Nintendo won't see the upgrade as worthy of their time. The GCC adapter box says "For Use With Super Smash Bros." on the front. :(

cochiseSMASH

Smash Apprentice
Business puts profits above ethics/morals all the time. It's very common. it's not illegal to do this, but someone who cared for the customer more than how much money they can suck out would think twice about it.
Businesses employ people, if they don't do whatever it takes to remain profitable people lose jobs. You're thinking of economics in a very simple way, as the end consumer. But businesses have to balance the needs of their employees, their investors, and their customers all at once. To be honest, they likely care way more about the first two groups than the latter and I don't find that immoral at all. I don't want the company I work for to sell me out to make a few clients happier ( and I've actually been in that position where I got forced to work 80 hours a week and sacrifice a lot of my personal life to help meet a contract deadline that was wildly undersold).

In an earlier comment you compared it to people holding back food in Katrina. That's, frankly, a ridiculous comparison to even try to make as food is vital to human survival while a GC adapter for Smash is not. I'm sorry if you missed out and have to play on a different controller for a few weeks, but there is nothing immoral about what anyone is doing here.

Some of y'all really mad about this. Honestly, you should preorder these things. I know some of you don't live close have a game store close to you or whatever, but if you are on the internet, odds are you can afford to pay 5 dollars to guarantee yourself the one thing you knew you needed to fully enjoy the game. And if you couldn't do that, order online in advance--it's offered by every major retailer.

Hell, I didn't get my adapter launch day, but I decides to go to Best Buy first thing in the morning and got one of the many they had available, and I still also have the one I preordered.

None of this was luck, it was a combination of common sense and effort. You can only really blame yourself considering how huge this game is as well as the demand to play with the Game Cube controller. And now you are upset because prices are jacked up? Tough break, man. Supply and Demand is the foundation of our economy. It's not like this is food or water; the adapter is far from a necessity, so if there are some people with disposable income that don't mind paying a premium to enjoy the game the way they want instead of waiting then more power to them. I didn't even get to preorder the bundle in June, so I already knew what was going to happen.

So you could either wait or have your wallet take the hit. Your call.

Patrick Ray

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheAmericaMan
3DS FC
5129-2776-3291
I literally pre-ordered the bundle from GameStop the Day Bestbuy had their Smash WiiU demo. No idea why others didn't preorder it as early. At this point in time any gamer should know the possibility of Something being limited.

Doctor Saius

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dr. Saius
This is really no different than when a new console gets released and people play the market and try to make money.

Nintendo seriously underestimated the popularity of the adapter, some stores close by only received 4-5 adapters which is ridiculous.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Businesses employ people, if they don't do whatever it takes to remain profitable people lose jobs. You're thinking of economics in a very simple way, as the end consumer. But businesses have to balance the needs of their employees, their investors, and their customers all at once. To be honest, they likely care way more about the first two groups than the latter and I don't find that immoral at all. I don't want the company I work for to sell me out to make a few clients happier ( and I've actually been in that position where I got forced to work 80 hours a week and sacrifice a lot of my personal life to help meet a contract deadline that was wildly undersold).

In an earlier comment you compared it to people holding back food in Katrina. That's, frankly, a ridiculous comparison to even try to make as food is vital to human survival while a GC adapter for Smash is not. I'm sorry if you missed out and have to play on a different controller for a few weeks, but there is nothing immoral about what anyone is doing here.
A smart business cares for the employees, shareholders, and customers equally as much. All 3 groups of people are important. Without any of the 3 the business ceases to exist. Some believe not caring for the customer is "just business as usual" and others take price in caring for the customer. Neither is wrong as you put it. But it does show that particular business' character.

Secondly, when I talked about people price gouging on food after the floods, I was talking about the Queensland Australia floods a few years back, that devastated my town and state. Please don't automatically think that everyone is always talking about the USA. The USA exists but so does the rest of the world. Please remember this.
I did feel for the Katrina folk when the tornado came through their area. I know the effects of floods personally so I do understand. Personally I think what the product is, that is being sold at an overly inflated price is, doesn't matter. To me the fact that it happens at all is the issue. I've felt it happen with food post the floods here. I do understand that food is a need and a GC adapter is a want, but in both cases there was a very high demand on a product in very short supply and sellers took advantage of this.

And I didn't miss out on the GC adapter, I pre-ordered it a while back at my local EB games. And I will receive it with the game on the 29th when it releases here. This game plus adapter bundle recently sold out here in Australia as well.

Finally, I think the major issue here is that some people find this practice of selling something at a very very inflated price because of an extreme demand of a product is very short supply to be of questionable morality and others are totally ok with the practice. You are ok with it and I am not. Neither of us is wrong, we just have different opinions on the subject.

Last edited:

Newt Floss

Smash Journeyman
This reminds me of how bummed I was that I didn't buy a Wii U GamePad High Capacity Battery when I had the chance. I just now checked and they're finally back in stock.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Curse the people who voted the first option in this poll.

I got extremely unlikely with the adapter, as I am a resident of Georgia, which apparently never had them to begin with.
I don't want the clunky Gamepad controls anymore...

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
I got the very last one available at my gamestop for 20 bucks, the cashier told me I was very lucky. I'm also the only one in my group of friends who has one, guess who's always getting hit up to smash now?

The cashier also tried to tell me the different Nintendo themed wiiu controllers and the new black gc controllers were exactly the same, hahha.......what a tool.

Morbi

Scavenger
Curse the people who voted the first option in this poll.

I got extremely unlikely with the adapter, as I am a resident of Georgia, which apparently never had them to begin with.
I don't want the clunky Gamepad controls anymore...
Does Georgia have internet?

It is funny, I was just taking a break from trashing newbs in the game of the year, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, and felt like playing some Smash for Wii U as I only played Smash for 3DS a whopping 2 times since release. I figured it would be a great time to try out my Wii U Pro Controller! I did not like it for Smash: the "c-stick" is misplaced and difficult to use, I cannot taunt as the d-pad is stagnant as though it was used upwards of one-million times, and overall the controller is uncomfortable. So I went crawling back to my Wii Pro Controller; however, after getting used to the Wii U Pro for a couple of hours, it felt tiny and the sticks were stiff as rocks... making it difficult to "c-stick" b-air with the Puffdaddy that Jiggles. It was also uncomfortable. Anyways, I decided, "you know what? Screw it! I am going to get the adapter, lets go to Gamestop right now." Of course, before heading out I thought it wise to check out "reviews" or "thoughts" on it from this community. Make sure it is not some cash-grab motivated return of an inferior controller with the Gamecube brand name attached to it. Instead, I happened upon this thread.

Long story short, the Gamepad is the only ****ing controller I can even use without feeling like a mentally disabled and dismembered (arms, arms only, with the blood still dripping down my fat rolls) child with down-syndrome who is playing Smash for the first time ever. Your post just made me laugh because the Gamepad is not even that clunky compared to the Wii U Pro in my not so humble opinion. Bad decision on my part to not pre-order or whatever else every pretentious douche that owns the adapter is advocating for.

Lastly, the people that the first option pertains to are the intelligent ones. No idea why they visited this thread, but I am happy for them. I wish them a long life and eternal happiness.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Does Georgia have internet?
It is funny, I was just taking a break from trashing newbs in the game of the year, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, and felt like playing some Smash for Wii U as I only played Smash for 3DS a whopping 2 times since release. I figured it would be a great time to try out my Wii U Pro Controller! I did not like it for Smash: the "c-stick" is misplaced and difficult to use, I cannot taunt as the d-pad is stagnant as though it was used upwards of one-million times, and overall the controller is uncomfortable. So I went crawling back to my Wii Pro Controller; however, after getting used to the Wii U Pro for a couple of hours, it felt tiny and the sticks were stiff as rocks... making it difficult to "c-stick" b-air with the Puffdaddy that Jiggles. It was also uncomfortable. Anyways, I decided, "you know what? Screw it! I am going to get the adapter, lets go to Gamestop right now." Of course, before heading out I thought it wise to check out "reviews" or "thoughts" on it from this community. Make sure it is not some cash-grab motivated return of an inferior controller with the Gamecube brand name attached to it. Instead, I happened upon this thread.
Long story short, the Gamepad is the only ****ing controller I can even use without feeling like a mentally disabled and dismembered (arms, arms only, with the blood still dripping down my fat rolls) child with down-syndrome who is playing Smash for the first time ever. Your post just made me laugh because the Gamepad is not even that clunky compared to the Wii U Pro in my not so humble opinion. Bad decision on my part to not pre-order or whatever else every pretentious douche that owns the adapter is advocating for.
Lastly, the people that the first option pertains to are the intelligent ones. No idea why they visited this thread, but I am happy for them. I wish them a long life and eternal happiness.
...Okay?
It's not that bad, at least the control stick doesn't come off. But it still feels like I'm holding a giant brick. I honestly prefer the Wii Remote controls to Gamepad, even if C-sticking and grabs are awkward.

NinjaWaddleDee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NinjaWaddleDee
Wanna know something suuuuper funny? I DID pre-order the freaking adapter... all the way back in August. My order was supposedly confirmed. Unfortunately, Gamestop.com decided that my order wasn't valid, and then preceded to cancel it RIGHT ON THE RELEASE DATE. So NOW I have to play the "is it in stock yet?" game while I wait for the one thing I need to fully enjoy this game. You know, I could have been satisfied with it if Nintendo didn't announce the stupid adapter. I could have adjusted, but because they DID announce the stupid adapter, I got my hopes up. So now it's like a freaking carrot hanging over my head, telling me that my "experience" isn't complete. 1st world problems, I know. :p But if I have the money, I would LOVE to be able to purchase the product I want to buy, instead of merely waiting around for it.

Last edited:

Chilex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chilex
I was gonna preorder the bundle on Amazon until I realized I wanted to get it on release day but my dad's car broke down so I went to gamestop the day after. They had the game in stock but no adapters. I looked at ten different stores to see that it was sold out everywhere. I got fed up and preordered my adapter, which is to arrive 1-2 weeks from now.

Top Bottom