• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Exciting New Game Mode Idea - AI Training

KingDT

Smash Rookie
I've seen many new game mode ideas, some usless some really good. I've mentioned this game mode in a previous thread but I may of mentioned it a bit too late. I thought it deserved some attention.

In order to introduce my New Super Smash Brothers 4 Game Mode idea, I will ask a series of question. Have you ever wanted to face yourself or test your own skill level? Are you proficient with multiple characters and would like to see which one you are best with? For example, my top three characters are Meta Knight, Falco and Toon Link. It’s evident I have the most success with Meta Knight but it seems I have equal success between Falco and Toon Link. I was always curious to know if I could battle my self with those characters, which character would have more success.

For those of you who’ve played or remembered Virtua Fighter 4 (rated a 9.3 on IGN. Not to be confused with Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution) this game had an amazing mode that I truly enjoyed, the AI Training Mode. In this mode you had the ability to select whatever character you’d like and train it to fight like YOU. You’d do a series of moves and advise the AI to remember them or forget them. The AI learns from your combos, defense and Offense and displays a play style just like yours. Of course it was not a perfect system and it took time to have an AI character fight virtually the same as you do. But to many peoples surprise, there were success for those that invested enough time training their character, often having issues defeating their own AI they’ve created.

This game came out on PS2 on March 19, 2002 in the US. It’s almost 13 years later, I’m certain we have the technology to implement a similar and yet more improved game mode in the New Super Smash Brothers. Being a Super Smash Brothers fanatic I understand that the fighting system is totally different in Smash Brothers then there is in Virtua Fighter but the concept is the same, Combos (all though not as many “true” combos were in Brawl), Offense and Defense. I’m no video game developer, but I know they use real people’s skill as well as an adaptive AI in order to make Computer opponents in the game. Why couldn’t they develop a game mode that has an AI continue to learn from your moves and implement that in their play style? Imagine being able to train your own character (Meta night, Marth, Peach etc) that you could fight against or pit it against others to battle? I can see my self saying “…your not even good enough to beat my AI”. They should have you save the AI’s data and be able to load it on other peoples Wii U’s so they can see if they can best it. Or perhaps pit your AI character vs theirs to see who the better “coach” is. They could even have you upload your AI to your 3DS so you can train it on the go or battle others or your AI self on a hand held device. This game mode would add so much more playability to the new Smash Brothers, with some good development this could be a very successful game mode. Let me know what you guys think.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
That sounds like a very interesting idea to bring into smash bros. Though doesn't the idea sound like its catering more to competitive players, rather than casual? I only ask this because I think Sakurai only cares about the casual audience for smash.

:phone:

KingDT

Smash Rookie
That is a good point Cider. Due to me being a more competitve player, my selling point may of naturally been aimed to Core-gamers. However, I believe both casual and competitve players could find benefit in this game mode. Being able to name your newly "coached" character and change its custom to whatever you desire as well as establishing a "goal-oriented" mode for your coached character would keep players of all kind entertained. They could perhaps allow you to use your coached player for co-op adventure modes, as well. As mentioned before, this would be an excellent cross-over mode for the 3DS and the Wii U. There could be so many posibilities and ways this game mode can be utilized that if developed properly all could enjoy.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
True. And you're getting me real hyped up for a mode like this. I hope Sakurai and co. go all out for ssb4's development.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That sounds like a very interesting idea to bring into smash bros. Though doesn't the idea sound like its catering more to competitive players, rather than casual? I only ask this because I think Sakurai only cares about the casual audience for smash.

:phone:
Who Sakurai cares about remains vague to this day, but it seems he cares about the whole audience as opposed to a certain group.

The ongoing problem with a lot of fighting games is that there's not much provided on learning/studying tools in the game to help you. Smash Bros., especially, never addressed advanced tactics and rather simplified the game than anything more practical like teaching beyond the controls.

As I said in the other thread, KingDT, Virtua Fighter, and now Skullgirls, have set the standard for Training Mode, but Tekken Tag 2 has done a really good job as well.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Oh dang, if x then y. I want a completely physics based game with absolutely no animation so the AI can really, I mean REALLY learn that jazz. (while nigh impossible it would also reduce the file size to 1/10th or even lower so we could fit more jazz in!)
DT, this idea is so good I just had a joyous outburst in my home, I want to get better and owned by myself.

KingDT

Smash Rookie
Oh dang, if x then y. I want a completely physics based game with absolutely no animation so the AI can really, I mean REALLY learn that jazz. (while nigh impossible it would also reduce the file size to 1/10th or even lower so we could fit more jazz in!)
DT, this idea is so good I just had a joyous outburst in my home, I want to get better and owned by myself.
Thanks a lot Monk. I thought deeply about what my favorite game mode would be. I thought about many different ideas but this by far was my favorite. Hopefully the majority agrees.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
This would be a great solution to those who find level 9's to be too easy! Two thumbs-up.

DekuTree

Smash Rookie
How intriguing. This could turn out well, as level nine computers ARE too easy. However I, same as a few others, believe Sakurai favours the casual audience. He did, after all, add tripping to discourage competitive play...

Oh well. This sounds great. Lets hope Sakurai is watching...

KingDT

Smash Rookie
I recall proposing a similar idea in an older thread of mine: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=327445
Great minds think alike, I suppose.
Hey, I just looked at your thread. Our ideas are very similar I must agree. If only we were helping to develop this game together..

This would be a great solution to those who find level 9's to be too easy! Two thumbs-up.
Yes Shadow. Smash brothers is the first fighting game I've ever played where I can beat the best Level 9 AI characters with my worst player on a continual basis. And I can pretty much 5 stock AI's with some of my better characters with little effort. They really need to step up the AI in this game. Honestly, I don't see much of a difference between levels 5 - 9.

How intriguing. This could turn out well, as level nine computers ARE too easy. However I, same as a few others, believe Sakurai favours the casual audience. He did, after all, add tripping to discourage competitive play...

Oh well. This sounds great. Lets hope Sakurai is watching...
You make a valid point Deku, but as I mentioned before, I believe this mode would fair well with casual gamers as well and is an excellent crossover game mode. It's difficult for me to sell it more towards casual gamers because I am not one. But I'm sure they'd enjoy it if the developers made game modes that would support this new "AI Feature". Maybe having Event Matches with your trained AI. Or perhaps a Coach Mode, where you have to use your trained AI to accomplish certain challeneges. Or help you in Multi Man Melee and Boss Battles. The opportunities are endless. With a little creativity.. this game mode can be enjoyable for any audience.

Top Bottom