• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Examples of new shield stun mechanic (1.1.1)

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
It's interesting. I'm going to wait 'til we see tournament footage before I form an opinion on it.

D

Deleted member 269706

Can someone explain all of this to me? I've been hearing so many claims and empty statements, I just need someone to tell me what this means. Is this more benefitial to the offensive or defensive player? How will it affect the meta? Are jab > grab combos more or less efficient? Any and all help is appreciated.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Can someone explain all of this to me? I've been hearing so many claims and empty statements, I just need someone to tell me what this means. Is this more benefitial to the offensive or defensive player? How will it affect the meta? Are jab > grab combos more or less efficient? Any and all help is appreciated.
I'm in the same boat as you, friend.

Best bet is to check out the competitive board and see what people there say.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
Really interesting...as a fellow kirby play this also buffs kirbys down air for pressure and other follow ups in theory
Surprisingly enough it helps his other aerials more (especially BAir which does about 30-40% of one's shield now.) as they're kind of safe on shield now.
SH Stone almost breaks a full shield now too.

I'm in the same boat as you, friend.

Best bet is to check out the competitive board and see what people there say.
I've been labbing this. I'm almost completely certain that shields are much less durable and shield stun that's almost on Melee/64 level.

Last edited:

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
From what I am understanding from the pros and on Twitter, there is more stun from your sheild when you get hit. Essentially meaning you can't easily grab or punish moves on shield.
Also what is really interesting are multi hit moves. For example, Yoshi's down air hits like 100 times, if you block it you are committed to that block even though you let go of the shield mid hit of the down air. You are either going to break your shield or have to get poked with the hits and have a very low shield. Blocking a hit is more of a commitment. Aggressive play seems to be more rewarded. I have to test myself, but this could be the biggest change for Smash 4

Uncle Honey

Smash Apprentice
Essentially meaning you can't easily grab or punish moves on shield.
Not entirely true. Actions that cancel shield at the start of shieldstun can still be performed (shield grab, jump, spotdodge, etc.). Jump cancelled moves like upb or usmash oos should still work.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
Not entirely true. Actions that cancel shield at the start of shieldstun can still be performed (shield grab, jump, spotdodge, etc.). Jump cancelled moves like upb or usmash oos should still work.
I guess so, I havent tested or looked at it myself. But the word is that shield a move and then trying to grab for the punish is not as easy as it was.

Kernel

Smash Rookie
NNID
xKernel
The addition of increased shield stun will definitely impact the future of Smash 4. Whether this change leads to a more offensive or defensive meta remains to be seen. On one hand you have more shield stun, making attacks much safer on shields. This obviously encourages and rewards offensive play, right? Well, maybe not entirely so. On the other hand we have weaker shields, which may encourage competitive players to "play it safe." Zoning and running away would now be safer options than shielding, meaning cat and mouse matches could become the new standard. If the meta were to go this direction, characters such as Sheik would become even stronger. Safer fair shield pressure, more shield stun from needles, and the speed and mobility to escape dangerous situations would all benefit Sheik. The latter is just a worse case scenario, but at this point anything is possible. I'm really hoping for this change to speed up the game, Smash 4 could really benefit from more aggressive play.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
The addition of increased shield stun will definitely impact the future of Smash 4. Whether this change leads to a more offensive or defensive meta remains to be seen. On one hand you have more shield stun, making attacks much safer on shields. This obviously encourages and rewards offensive play, right? Well, maybe not entirely so. On the other hand we have weaker shields, which may encourage competitive players to "play it safe." Zoning and running away would now be safer options than shielding, meaning cat and mouse matches could become the new standard. If the meta were to go this direction, characters such as Sheik would become even stronger. Safer fair shield pressure, more shield stun from needles, and the speed and mobility to escape dangerous situations would all benefit Sheik. The latter is just a worse case scenario, but at this point anything is possible. I'm really hoping for this change to speed up the game, Smash 4 could really benefit from more aggressive play.
There is an event going on tonight that will be streamed and use the latest patch. Zero will be there along other high level players. I highly recommend watching it tonight as I believe this will be the first smash 4 tourny to show off the new patch.

Stream Link : (starts at 7:30 EST)
twitch.tv/rushhoursmash

Last edited:

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
Sorry for reposting but this is an important video to watch concerning Lucarios Aura sphere at the ledge which can be inescapable until now.

Top Bottom