• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evolve my Monferno?

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
You can learn Slack Off then let it evolve and it can still learn Calm Mind. Competitively, Infernape has the stats to do neither, so eh...

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
He means that he want Punishment and Slack Off, but that's not possible since Slack Off is learned by Monferno AFTER Punishment would be learned by Infernape.
I would say, go fo Slack Off since Punishment isn't such a *** kicking move.. I think. I haven't played the game yet but a recovering move is always good to have and Punishment seems more like a random move.

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
Oh I get it. Yea, Punishment doesn't do you much good. The only stat ups used are Dragon Dance, Calm Mind, and Scheme, and by the time they stat up enough for Punishment to do considerable damage, both Dragon Dancers OHKO you and Azelf OHKOs you.

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
I'm comparing the movelist of Monferno and Infernape

I'm thinking about having it learn Slack Off instead of Calm Mind since it's fire moves are physical .
Flamethrower? I doubt you will use for slack off since Infernape is a sweeper so it has great speed to save its life.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Flare Blitz > Flamethrower. And if you want to be able to use Infernape without set up, Slack Off is a nice addition then since Flare Blitz gives recoil damage.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Yeah, if you're using Slack Off, you may as well give it Flare Blitz.

I was originally going to pick chimchar as my starter, but then I realized it really gets shafted ingame. It doesn't have the defenses to use statup moves ingame, and the way its different forms learn their moves, it's almost impossible to get an ideal ingame set. Close Combat only has 5 PP, and the recoil from Flare Blitz hurts, too (I forget how many PP it has, though). So I completely averted that problem and picked turtwig. All I have to do is trade for a chimchar/monferno/infernape, and breed it for a competitive set.

Top Bottom