• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2016 EVO 2k16 Smash 4 Seeding Thread

Djent

Smash Champion
EDIT 07/04: Beta brackets are up here. I'm working on a list of top seeds right now. Please post about any early "death matches" that may require player(s) to be moved.

EDIT 07/10: Quarterfinals have been eliminated, but there are still Byes in R2. In addition, the seeding has been vastly improved. I found a nifty graphic courtesy of オマエビ (Twitter) which shows the position of most good players in addition to the top 32 seeds. That has replaced my list as it is superior in every way.

Last edited:

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
Preliminary seeds based off of /u/chenboy

1. ZeRo
2. Dabuz
3. Nairo
4. Mr. R
5. ANTi
6. Abadango
7. Larry Lurr
8. VoiD
9. Zinoto
10. Marss
11. FOW
12. Mew2King
13. Komorikiri
14. Ranai
15. Trela
16. Hyuga
17. ESAM
18. Nakat
19. Tweek
20. Rain
21. Umeki
22. Earth
23. Tyrant
25. KEN (Japanese Sonic, currently Liquid Ken by mistake) 26.
27. Kirihara ???
28. 6wx
29. Fatality

These are ****ing terrible

Djent

Smash Champion
That list doesn't look quite right. Strictly speaking, some seeds don't "exist" because of Byes in their stupid bracket system.

Kamemushi currently projects to play ZeRo in R2 Pools. I think that's too early. Why wasn't he seeded? :alien:

Last edited:

Djent

Smash Champion
The seeding is greatly complicated because some players have to play an additional round of "Quarterfinals" between Round 2 pools and Semifinals. To make things more confusing, this additional "round" is sometimes a Bye even though the round before that doesn't appear to contain a top 32 seed. In other cases, the winner of a R2 pool gets seeded directly into Semis.

The list by u/chenboy doesn't take any of this into account, and so some of his numbering appears to be off. However, it is mostly correct otherwise. I made my list with the structure of the bracket in mind. If there is a "???" it means that a particular R2 pool seeds directly into Semis, but still doesn't have an identifiable seed. If there is a Bye listed it means that the adjacent R2 winner advances through quarterfinals despite not playing another top 32 seed.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137

Djent

Smash Champion
I've made a few suggestions via the feedback option. I'll update this post as I think of more.

A508: Move Kamemushi to A509. This would effectively make him 32nd seed, which is not great, but better than having him fight ZeRo in R2 pools. It's also a very easy fix to implement.
E505: Move one of ConCon, Tearbear, and Trevonte out of the pool, and switch a second one with the Bye on the other side of the bracket. This would still be a hard pool, but no longer as ridiculous as it is now.
E514: This pool looks easy and has two Byes. In fact, the R2 pool it seeds into looks pretty easy until finals. I've flagged this as a spot where they could move another high-level player.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
In order of priority:
E505: Tearbear to E504, Trevonte to E506 - Mr. Concon + these two in the same pool just can't happen. There are plenty of pools without notable players for pools with 2 or more great players to fit into.
B503: MJG to B502, Wrath to B506 - Same situation as above, but instead with Ned + MJG + Wrath
C509: Pugwest to C507 - Pool already has el and SS, Pug at least deserves his own pool. SS or el to C506 would also be nice.
B515: Vinnie to B516 - Two PGR top 20 players in the same pool
A508: Kamemushi to A509 - Djent explained, plus he's in the same pool as cyve, probably the best player in Germany
D513: Zenyou to D514 - In the same pool as Trela
A511: Rich Brown to A515 - In the same pool as Xzax, another player of similar caliber from SoCal
E509: Angbad to E510 - Same pool as Seagull Joe
E508: ImHip to E506 - Same pool as Xaltis
B513: TLTC to B511 - Same pool as KEN, one of Japan's top 2 Sonics
B514: Sol to B523 - In the same pool as NickRiddle
C509: Raziek to C507 - Same pool as Mew2King
A510: Wizzrobe to A506 - Same pool as Frozen, high level Corrin from NY
D510: Aerolink to D511 - Same pool as Ally
F513: AceStarthe3rd to F515 - Same pool as FOW, especially dangerous with the Rosa vs Ness matchup
E521: Day to E519 - Same pool as Fatality
A504: Koolaid to A521 - Same pool as SETHsational, Falcon and Cloud user from the Midwest
C513: Z to C514 - Same pool as Earth, best Pit in the world
F503: Keitaro to F504 - Same pool as Tyroy
C504: Max Ketchum to C505 - Same pool as Tweek
F520: S2H to F519 - Same pool as iiGGy from Texas
F517: Shofu to F518 - Same pool as GGA.Nite, high level Rosa in Midwest

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Smash4UNet and Chibo are working on this sheet of projected advances in the current pools at EVO. Lots of "?"s in there and for good reason since the pools are horribly balanced so far. Feel free to tweet @Smash4UNet or Chibo to help fill "?"s in the chart if there's someone they missed.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fA--v8dyZCLoowB-H7TGwCzB1srwcydyCyUWyUwZtvM/edit#gid=0
If somebody's willing to forward my suggestions to the people in charge I'd start with moving the following players for now:

* from "Winners Advance" to "Losers Advance":
GimR, Logic, Frozen, Chibo, MVD, Joe Barrels, Ned, Wii Twerk Trainer, gsmWar, 2ManyCooks, Poltergust, Day [MW player], SS, Kei, Umeki, C3PO, Shimitake, Triple R, Waymas, Bloodcross, DarkMusician, Mekos, Mister Eric, Camalange, GGA.Nite, iiGGY;

* from "Winners Advance" to "not Advance":
Sethsational, DC, Fujita, Darkshad, Admiral Popi, PB&J, Azen, NickC, D.Disciple, Ayuha, el, Hackoru, Kiraflax, Warchamp7, Scourge, 1up Nitro, Tantalus, ChuDat, 2GG Bam, Rom, PewPewU, Liquid Ken, Bear, Hungrybox;

* from "Losers Advance" to "Winners Advance":
RichBrown, falln, Wrath, MJG, Pugwest, Vinnie, Zenyou;

*from "Losers Advance" to "not Advance":
Reslived, Nintendude, Bask 3xa, Xiivi, Amazing Ampharos, GDX, Lord Sturm, Hart, dmbrandon, Iori, ApologyMan, InfernoOmni, Shippo, BizarroFlame, Chillindude;

That's the gist of it. From there you can start shuffling players around to fill vacant slots in the "Winners/Losers Advance" categories.

:059:

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
The community only gets 32 swaps total. The biggest issues to look out for are the balance of the highest players, and then blatant regional issues, like Xzax and Rich Brown playing incredibly early in R1, who are both ranked socal players. Some of these also seem pretty odd like, you say MVD should move to a losers advancing position in R1, basically meaning that you don't think he's roughly top 170 seed?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Well, I don't know what kind of approach you're choosing when you seed people but I think it's easiest to just assign the "obvious" 1st seeds to their pools and then work from there. If you have 168 pools then it's likely somebody like MVD, Umeki or C3PO will be moved back into Winners Advance anyway but that's why I said I'd change that for now.

If it's just 32 swaps though then I'll probably wait until the 'obvious' mistakes are taken care of and get back to you if you want. I realize a few things have already been changed now as well so not everything I said even applies anymore.

:059:

Djent

Smash Champion
On the most recent episode of The Commentator's Curse, Tafokints, Nintendude, and Crimson discuss the issue with the Byes inserted by EVO's bracket-generating software. It's worth listening to and definitely affects Smash 4 as well as Melee/SF.

Last edited:

Illuminose

Smash Ace
the pools were changed again, now featuring random byes (both r1 and r2 pools)!

issues:

g501 - Dath vs True Blue WR1 (same region)

g502 - Vinnie fights The Wall WR2 while MVD makes it to WR3 for free

g503 - ChuDat, MJG, and Ryuk have byes and Darkshad has 2 free rounds while Zinoto has Aphro->Salem for his first 2
rounds and Captain L vs Tyrant happens WR1

g504 - Void plays False->Elegant->HIKARU just to make it to KEN in wf while KEN has it practically for free (Sol->saj)

g505 - mr.r plays Poltergust->charliedaking while seagull joe has 2 free rounds, including a bye and a random

g506 - kamemushi plays 9b in winners semis of this pool...lol.

g507 - m2k/tweek/earth/cyve all in this one pool, said pool also featuring angel cortes, karna, ksev, and pugwest.........

g508 - shimitake, demitus, xaltis, tremendo dude, and mister eric all have byes while anti plays shel wr1

g509 - kirihara, SS, and Dabuz all on the same side of the pool bracket with the other side having ncjacobt/Regi/Aerolink.

g510 - vicegrip, bc, Bloodcross have byes while rich brown plays the best player in chile wr1...as well as FOW playing triple r r1 tho that isn't as bad.

g511 - komo and ally, both at least top 15 seeds, in the same r2 pool...even if this is ignored you have komo's side with k9/raito while ally has dan and zephyr.

g512 - nietono and rain in wf (both likely top 20 seeds who are good friends). this pool also features Marss (a top 15 seed). dyr, c3po, angbad, eddy, and zekkenb have byes while rain fights Lycan and Nietono fights nickriddle in wr1.

g513 - Hino and 2 randoms have byes (Hino a free trip to winners semis) while you have Sinji vs concon, dj jack vs day (same region), and fatality vs rom wr1 with fatality vs falln in wr2 and Nairo vs winner of Sinji concon in wr2.

g514 - esam plays ranai in wr2, that side of the pool also including Xzax and zex whereas the top half has Trela (making for the 3rd top 32 seed in this pool) and jwest.

g515 - actually ok outside ImHip vs Larry being in wr2 (same region)

g516 - completely fine

this needs at least 1, maybe 2 more rounds of changes now to be fine lol.

Djent

Smash Champion
Thanks for the heads up! I might try to fix the list in the OP, but TBH I'm getting tired and might just wait until it's fully finalized.

Djent

Smash Champion
Brackets, take 6:
I'm currently working to see if anything changed, but don't expect an update to the OP until this guy makes a new graphic. lol

EDIT: He did (that was fast!), so now the OP is up to date.

Last edited:

Djent

Smash Champion
I think this last round of changes were overwhelmingly positive. I could be happy with the new brackets given no further modifications.

Izzu

Smash Rookie
Someone knows what time and days will be held sm4sh?? i checked the schedule and says 15 and 16, so 17 will be nothing?? and the time or how works this?? sorry for my bad english =(

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Someone knows what time and days will be held sm4sh?? i checked the schedule and says 15 and 16, so 17 will be nothing?? and the time or how works this?? sorry for my bad english =(
Yes, the Sm4sh part of tournament will only be for the 15th and 16th. Sunday the 17th is restricted to games like Street Fighter V and Melee. Sm4sh will be going on all day on Friday the 15th and will go from 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM Pacific time on the 16th. There is a picture with a detailed schedule of all the games here: http://shoryuken.com/2016/07/09/pla...the-official-tournament-and-stream-schedules/

Illuminose

Smash Ace
top 16 seeding

1. ZeRo
2. Dabuz
3. Nairo
4. ANTi
5. Mr.R
6. Abadango
7. Ally
8. Zinoto
9. VoiD