• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo 2016 Trailer Released!

It's official: Evo will be returning to host the 15th event in the Evolution Championship Series: Evo 2016! From its humble beginnings as a 40-man Street Fighter based event back in 1996 known as "Battle by the Bay" to 2002 when it took up the mantle this tournament has been renowned as the greatest and biggest fighting game event in the United States. Having housed Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4 under its roof Smash fans will be excited to see where it heads for the 2016 edition of the event. The official trailer for the event has been released which highlights some of the best moments from last year's event.

Several moments from Melee and Smash 4 were shown and the official dates for Evo 2016 was announced: July 15th through 17th. The tournament is set to take place in Las Vegas but the official venue has not yet been set and the official Evo website still has information from Evo 2015. Excited for Evo 2016? Wanting Smash to return to the big stage? Let us know in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for future updates on Evo 2016!

Last edited:

Comments

to 2002 when it took up the mantle this tournament has been renounced as the greatest and biggest fighting game event in the United States.​
Oh its no longer the biggest and greatest? I think you meant reborn, not renounced.

Several moments fro Melee and Smash 4 were shown and the official dates for Evo 2016 was announced: July 15th through 17th.
Careful not to get your comb stuck in that amazing fro.

Honestly? I only want one of the Smash games at EVO, but I'm having a hard time deciding which one.

Melee has a long legacy and had to earn it's position at EVO. Even though I find the game extremely boring it can still generate hype moments after existing for 10 plus years.

Smash 4... Eh... The community is still growing, but I honestly see this game as being very forgetful. When Smash 5 comes out I see 4 getting dropped near instantly. The only reason it seemingly got in this year was due to it being the new game and you know... Nintendo.

Not sure, but I just don't want two games. It would be like having Mortal Kombat X and Mortal Kombat 9 at EVO. I think other figthing games should be given a chance.

That's just me though...

Honestly? I only want one of the Smash games at EVO, but I'm having a hard time deciding which one.

Melee has a long legacy and had to earn it's position at EVO. Even though I find the game extremely boring it can still generate hype moments after existing for 10 plus years.

Smash 4... Eh... The community is still growing, but I honestly see this game as being very forgetful. When Smash 5 comes out I see 4 getting dropped near instantly. The only reason it seemingly got in this year was due to it being the new game and you know... Nintendo.

Not sure, but I just don't want two games. It would be like having Mortal Kombat X and Mortal Kombat 9 at EVO. I think other figthing games should be given a chance.

That's just me though...
I'd take smash 4 over melee any day

With this trailer Melee is basically confirmed for EVO 2016, we will see what happens with Smash 4 but I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped it because we already have a Smash game that's more spectator friendly. Hopefully it gets in for their fans tho.

With this trailer Melee is basically confirmed for EVO 2016, we will see what happens with Smash 4 but I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped it because we already have a Smash game that's more spectator friendly. Hopefully it gets in for their fans tho.
Well if we based it on what was in the trailer alone it confirmed Street Fighter 4.

Most likely will see both again, I doubt they would deny either/or both given the high entrances and large viewership both got.

In terms of Mr. Wizard's priorities, they are, in order: 1. Money 2. Money 3. Money. Smash 4 got a crapload of entrants last year, and considering it had an awful Saturday timeslot, a very large number of viewers. It would be silly for him to drop it.

TEN MORE YEARS! TEN MORE YEARS! TEN MORE YEARS! TEN MORE YEARS! TEN MORE YEARS! TEN MORE YEARS! TEN MORE YEARS! TEN MORE YEARS!

-Evo 2014 crowd

#wastesoftalent
#nolouisianareps
#bringthisdamnthingtoneworleansinsteadoflasvegas
#toofarawayanddonthaveacaroraplaneticket
#reallylonghashtagstoannoyanysmashbrosplayerseeingthispost
#gonnagetawarning

Can't wait to see EVO.

Hoping Pokken could slip in. I don't think it will but hey I like seeing new games get a chance somehow, someway.

That's quite a statement. I doubt anyone agrees with you but it's good to be unique...

Eh. Not really. I'm pretty confident that unless Smash 5 becomes Brawl 2.0 then Smash 4 will become obsolete.
The most recent version of a game usually gets picks up while past versions are put aside but still played from time to time.

Melee is a rare exception.

The most recent version of a game usually gets picks up while past versions are put aside but still played from time to time.

Melee is a rare exception.
Which is why I called it forgettable. It's not a bad game, but I still feel like there shouldn't be two games from the same franchises on the main stage.

Which is why I called it forgettable. It's not a bad game, but I still feel like there shouldn't be two games from the same franchises on the main stage.
That is how it was for street fighter til the more recent years.

Frankly it's not smart business to drop either given the entrance and viewership numbers.

Smash will be that way for a while.

Eh. Not really. I'm pretty confident that unless Smash 5 becomes Brawl 2.0 then Smash 4 will become obsolete.
There's nothing wrong with that. Almost all esports will drop previous iterations when the newest one comes out. The only real exception is Melee, because it is so different from Brawl/Smash 4, that you could consider it to be a separate series entirely. Brawl and Smash 4 are similar enough to call them the same series, which is why Brawl died when Smash 4 was released. And if Smash 5 is similar to Brawl and Smash 4, then Smash 4 will most likely die after Smash 5 releases.

How is people so sure there will be a Smash 5?
I'm almost positive it will come to NX. It's a franchise that is guaranteed to sell at least a few millions of copies. Even if Sakurai doesn't wanna work on smash again, Nintendo will put someone else in charge to make sure it will be released on their newer platform. It's kind of obvious, even if it's just speculation.

Top Bottom