• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVO 2016 Game Lineup Announced! MELEE & SMASH 4 CONFIRMED!

Smash has had the honor of being at the largest event for fighting games for several years now, with Smash 4 and Melee both being invited last year to EVO 2015. For Smash 4, it was their first time at the event and the supermajor that tried out customs for the first time. For Melee, another year of proving to the world that the money raised to gain entry into EVO 2013 was worth every penny as they wowed spectators with their storied history.

It was only just over a year ago that the roster for 2015 was announced and it rocked fighting games fans with two Smash titles and even an arcade game for the first time in years. This year the looming question remains: will two Smash titles be side by side at EVO? What other games will make the cut? The games chosen will be broadcast live tonight from the Redbull eSports Studio at 7PM PST (10 PM EST). Be sure to tune in OR stay tuned here as this article will update LIVE with the roster for all those who cannot watch!

---​

The moment has come: here is the lineup for EVO 2016!!!

Excited for another amazing EVO? Sound off in the comments below and stay tuned for future EVO Coverage!

Comments

That's a bad comparison. Melee and Smash 4 are so different that they are practically two different franchises. Street Fighter 4 and 5 are incredibly similar and most of the player base is moving on to SFV. It's not as big of a deal.
Sf4 and SFV are hugely different. Lack of FADCs, V-skills, V-triggers, lack of invinci-backdash, counter hits on shoryuken, fewer universal mechanics...
This leads up to SFV being more like ST and USF4 more like between SF2 series and something like KOF. USF4 offers characters that are borderline anime-ish in terms of options and freedom.

Glad we get to see amazing melee for another year at evo. Hopefully mew2king will enter this year! We all want to see him perform at his top level!

Melee and Sm4sh hype.

Pokken should be interesting. Especially since the Wii U game will only be 3 months old at EVO.

Meh. I'm not going lie, I'm pretty disappointed with this line up. I personally don't think any series deserves more than 1 game at EVO. I know that there are a massive amount of differences between Melee and 4, but at the same time there still the same game at their cores. If that's the case then I'd love to see Third Strike and SF5. Or Mortal Kombat 3 & X. I don't know. IT just doesn't feel right to me.

I'm also not digging the inclusion of Pokken. I know they want to add new games, but really? That's one of the must unnecessary inclusions in EVO history. Plus it feels pretty lame not see games like Skullgirls, Persona (which was extremely hype last year), Injustice, or King of Fighters (especially King of Fighters).

I'll probably just watch Smash 4 and Mortal Kombat and call it quits.

Meh. I'm not going lie, I'm pretty disappointed with this line up. I personally don't think any series deserves more than 1 game at EVO. I know that there are a massive amount of differences between Melee and 4, but at the same time there still the same game at their cores. If that's the case then I'd love to see Third Strike and SF5. Or Mortal Kombat 3 & X. I don't know. IT just doesn't feel right to me.

I'm also not digging the inclusion of Pokken. I know they want to add new games, but really? That's one of the must unnecessary inclusions in EVO history. Plus it feels pretty lame not see games like Skullgirls, Persona (which was extremely hype last year), Injustice, or King of Fighters (especially King of Fighters).

Smash, especially Melee, is far too big compared to any of the other games that didn't make the cut. And they had a far majority of the entrants last year. If there is any series to make an exception for, its Smash. Especially considering that Melee is on championship Sunday for the 4th straight year, and how its entrant totals are only get higher for major tourneys and are far surpassing Smash 4's, its not going anywhere anytime soon, so we'll probably keep having two Smash games at EVO until one of them dies.

But I was shocked with Pokken. We don't know how well that the LAN connection is going to work for tourneys and it doesn't even have a scene yet so we don't know if anyone will care.

Last edited:

They're only the same game in the sense that you can use the same characters and controllers. Throw in the fact that both smash games made up a vast majority of players, and you can't cut either one at all.

Pokken is a strange choice, but it should be interesting. Might be the only arcade-style fighter I'll watch.

Pokkén Tournament at EVO? Awesomeness! This is going to be an interesting year, and looking forward to seeing more of GGXrd Revelator, Sm4sh, MKX and Pokkén!

Guilty Gear is an amazing fighting game. You should definitely try it out. The universal mechanics are excellent, the new FRC changes made the game so much better... it really is a ton of fun and an extremely deep fighter. It's not hard to jump into because combo progression is typically (not strictly though) punch -> kick -> slash -> heavyslash -> dust. It makes it easier to learn basic combos. Also it has lessons modes, challenge modes, etc. Lots of ways to learn basic mechanics or practice specific scenarios. It's very fast paced and exciting to both play and to watch.
For those who don't know Guilty Gear, GG is pretty much the Melee of Airdashers, except Xrd has a vastly improved Roman (Meter) Cancel System that doesn't rely on 1-2 frame cancels on certain moves.

It also looks freaking amazing and is one of the best fighting games out there mechanic wise.

For those who don't know Guilty Gear, GG is pretty much the Melee of Airdashers, except Xrd has a vastly improved Roman (Meter) Cancel System that doesn't rely on 1-2 frame cancels on certain moves.

It also looks freaking amazing and is one of the best fighting games out there mechanic wise.
Scew mechanics, who needs those anyway? Just pick Sol and use special moves. It works for all the top level Sol players at least.:troll:

But seriously I'm pretty excited for all these games, MKX, Guilty Gear, Killer Instinct, and Smash 4 are all games that'll have changes from last year, and Pokken, Street Fighter V, and Tekken 7 are all new games. All in all, Melee and Marvel are the only games unchanged from last year. It'll be quite exciting to see how these changes affect how the people on stage play, or if Woshige remembers he needs to win two rounds before he pops off this time.

If you're going to have Smash 4 there, of all games, you might as well have Brawl there as well.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl is a game that is worse than Melee and better than Smash 4. 'Nuff said.

If you're going to have Smash 4 there, of all games, you might as well have Brawl there as well.
Are you one of those people who only likes Melee and nothing else? Smash 4 had the second most amount of entrants last year.

Are you one of those people who only likes Melee and nothing else?
I never said that. I enjoy 64, PM, and even Brawl to an extent. Don't get me started on Smash 4.

Oh, so you are a tripping fan....
I never said that either. I'm certainly not a fan of it, but it never bothered me too much. IMO, it's better than the rage mechanic, which is always active and directly favors the person who's losing.

I never said that either. I'm certainly not a fan of it, but it never bothered me too much. IMO, it's better than the rage mechanic, which is always active and directly favors the person who's losing.
Ohhhh so you don't like the rage mechanic.... don't get me started at chaingrab, wobbling.... WOBBLING, and games ending unfairly because the guy losing had luck with Peach's Down B or Luigi's misfire.... characters that luckily are not nearly as tournament viable in 4 as they are in Melee.
Oh, yeah, and tripping.

EDIT: Oh, and WOBBLING.
And I'd like to add that rage directly favors the person who is winning too because it affects the ability of creating strings of the guy on rage....

Last edited:
My question is still, how did Pokken make it in? Is it one of Melee's spoiled rich kids like Sm4sh is?

If you think tripping is better than rage, you're insane. Tripping is a random thing that you can't account for that can decide matches. Rage and character specific things, like wobbling, are things you can prepare for. And tripping is always active too. You have to be ready for any moment where all of sudden you can trip and then get hit....but you never can be.

Last edited:
So you like a mechanic that is easily accountable for less than a random, game-breaking mechanic?

I'm done here.

Top Bottom