• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resource icon

Guide Everywhere At Once

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
In slightly less than two weeks I will be leaving to hike the Appalachian trail. I'll be gone for 6 months...needless to say I will have a lot of time to think. By the time I come home I will know for sure if I will continue playing Melee and continue playing Luigi but at the moment I think my time has run out as far as playing this game competitively. I need to move on with my life and start pursuing other goals and dreams. Its been an absolute pleasure being a part of this community and I'm so proud to play this character, one that most overlook.

I'll continue to post more content before I leave, but I'll have radio silence once I do so. Just wanted to wish everyone luck on improving their play.
Remember that Melee is not only a game, it is a medium in which you can learn about yourself and overcome obstacles that seem insurmountable.

Cheers
-BluEG

Monib

Smash Cadet
Hey man, I've been lurking for a long time around these forums and once I picked up Luigi I always looked towards you for the most informed of posts. Came here to say as a long time luigi-fan and as a smasher in general, thanks for what you've done =)

EDIT: Read your guide, I'm now starting to see outside of my very primitive thoughts of Luigi. I think you're right in that luigi can be made into an S-tier level character with the movement mastery. Hell, I may be new, but I'll take on your challenge, and I know others will too. Maybe one (or more) of us will become your vision.
Again thanks for what you've done, and this guide really sums up how much you care for the luigi players of the world.
Have a safe journey, and I hope it goes wonderfully.

Last edited:

Ka-Mitch

Smash Rookie
After a few weeks of lurking and reading through the archive, I made an account to thank you for this post. I've never been more motivated to practice! Hope you find that you want to keep playing after the trail adventure, because you're basically Obi-Wan Luigi

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
After a few weeks of lurking and reading through the archive, I made an account to thank you for this post. I've never been more motivated to practice! Hope you find that you want to keep playing after the trail adventure, because you're basically Obi-Wan Luigi
Obi-wan Luigi hahahaha, seriously made my day. Thank you.

Felt it was imperative to touch on ledge-dashing and how it applies to Luigi so I added a section into the guide.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
I'm sad to see that you might not be coming back BluEG. You've helped me learn a lot, and Smashers like you have made me feel at home on the Luigi boards (and in the community in general) from day 1.

The guide is excellent, as expected; it covers areas that aren't currently thoroughly documented, and also provides a lot of depth while remaining open enough to prompt/assist the reader in thinking critically and developing a deeper understanding for themselves.

Last edited:

Jelson

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the hours and hours of guides and videos. Hope to see you around and thanks for helping kick off the year for 2015 Luigi mains.

weegee the green wonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hamby1
3DS FC
0232-9266-0923
I am new to being a member to these boards but I have watched you for awhile and I applaud you for this guide as someone who has played the green wonder since 64 I must say you,I, and the rest of these beautiful Luigi mains truly understand the quick, powerful, and just plain awkward guy and I am glad to know people love him as much as I do, thank you *tear forms in eye*:4luigi:"ima luigi numba one"

P@RA

Smash Rookie
Thank you BluEG, thanks to you I've become an overall better player and Luigi enthusiast. I'll use the guides you have to help me become the best Weeg in Boston!

Best of luck in life, maybe one day we'll get to play some dittos

ZEN 777

Smash Rookie
This guide made me change my tag to ZEN.

Its a shame your giving up Luigi. Always been a fan. I'll accept your challenge.

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
Thanks everyone.

I'm about halfway through the trip now, hanging out for a week in Washington DC. Gonna play some while I'm here and see how I feel!Honestly, a combination of caffeine and marijuana addiction has been holding be back competitively. Typically I abstain from both before a tourney and the withdrawals can have a drastic effect. This trip has been fantastic in getting over these addictions as well as restoring a lot of confidence! We'll see...still 3 months to go but it looks like I'll be coming back when I get home. Gotta get situated and have a stable income first though.

weegee the green wonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hamby1
3DS FC
0232-9266-0923
Thanks everyone.

I'm about halfway through the trip now, hanging out for a week in Washington DC. Gonna play some while I'm here and see how I feel!Honestly, a combination of caffeine and marijuana addiction has been holding be back competitively. Typically I abstain from both before a tourney and the withdrawals can have a drastic effect. This trip has been fantastic in getting over these addictions as well as restoring a lot of confidence! We'll see...still 3 months to go but it looks like I'll be coming back when I get home. Gotta get situated and have a stable income first though.
I'm glad to hear you're doing okay, you must be thrilled about the costume luigi got in project m 3.6 huh

The Carpenter

Smash Apprentice
Wow. No joke this guide just changed the way I will view and behave with this character forever.

I tried a bunch of the stuff mentioned in it as I was still reading and had instant movement improvements, night and day within minutes, you did an unreal job of making everything understandable.

From now on I'm ganna wear the tag "EAO" standing for Everywhere At Once whenever I play on stream.

onehunna

Smash Cadet
after extended work in the lab, a few highlights and new ideas for everyone to consider with these concepts in mind:

• we all need to be dash dancing, and a LOT more. this is something i've rediscovered after initially ignoring DD at large because of preconceived notions concerning the viability and utility of luigi's supposedly 'poor' dash dance. after digesting the totality of top luigi match VODs out there, i've come to the conclusion that every luigi's movement is sorely lacking at the moment (if you can believe that) and the lack of dash dance is the primary reason why. the power in dash dancing is control. by dash dancing selectively both in between and at the end of our wavedashes, we can take this character from simply slippery to mach 1. dash dancing allows you to take control of your momentum much more solidly (removing many if not all of those 'random' moments of traction loss), and will help you place your character FAR more precisely and space grabs/grounded attacks like never before... not only this, but dash dancing fluidly between wavedashes opens up MANY more pivot opportunities that otherwise would have been improbable to recreate with any consistency. dash dancing will keep your movement active instead of the all-too-often seen 'dead' periods in between many luigi players' movement patterns that allow the opponent to create space/opportunities for themselves in neutral and keep your movement unpredictable in a way that linear wavedashes in and out cannot accomplish. hopefully i will have videos of my movement up soon so you all can see what i mean.
  • speaking of pivots--they're as important to this character as they are to captain falcon and marth. blueEG's post briefly mentions this, but stop pivots are an incredibly powerful tool which will allow you to space better, move more precisely, and position for stronger punishes out of shield (quick aside: master WD oos, another insane option for luigi that is all too often flubbed into a bevy of scrubby rolls). i encourage every luigi out there to get in the lab right now and start mastering pivots from dash dance, empty pivots from wavedash/land, turnaround shield stops (which blea uses to some degree of effectiveness in this recent set), and dash stop pivots out of wavedash. the options from these momentum-stopping pivots are endless and variant only on your spacing.
  • ledge game on this character is absolutely broken and we each need to master its ins and outs. the frame data is there to support this and the options from an invincible ledgedash are immense. watch this video if you haven't seen it already and snap back to reality--and this doesn't even demonstrate everything. i'm not even talking just perfect ledgedashes (which you should be practicing every chance you get)--momentum canceling, fireballs from the ledge, and cross-town tornados (into clank or hit) are all powerful tools at luigi's disposal from the edge.
  • luigi's platform game is broken and criminally underdeveloped/explored. from NILs to drop cancelled nairs/bairs to momentum cancels and more, luigi has some of the nuttiest platform technology available to the cast, some of which we have yet to touch.
  • tech chasing fast fallers on reaction. yup, it's entirely possible. i've got the data, and a fancypants post with all of it compiled complete with neat little images is forthcoming. gravy's insights, while obviously slightly misinformed to the specifics of our character (jumping early in the tech animation to either wavedash or JC grab lol wut?), but his sentiment holds true as well as a few of his data points. i will expand on this in the future.
this character is insanely technical--blueEG's conceptual groundwork, once ingrained into your slick psyche, is only the start. mastering the technology and applying it to these concepts is what will advance this character's meta into a 20xx/20gx of its own.

Last edited:

20Too

Smash Rookie
Is there a mirror of this because the original pdf is down.

Last edited:

Lerxst_1

Smash Rookie
Would love to read this, but it seems like the original link is broken. Does anyone have a copy of it somewhere? Thanks

SSBDucky

Smash Rookie
Just found this. Seems still applicable. I'm gonna successfully reach the enlightened Luigi state.

Top Bottom