• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ever consider Mortal Kombat characters?

ZIGGS

Smash Rookie
After me and my girlfriend hooked up her old sega genesis and i kicked her *** with subzero and raiden, i wondered why none of these characters are being considered?

I know they're not nintendo licensed characters but neither is sonic, and sega games are on sale on the wii virtual console.

They'd fit perfect if you think about it, just like subzero and one other would be great.

Opinions?

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Well, the selection for third party characters is pretty limited and I believe they'd choose characters from good third party developers and not second rate US based ones.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Are you serious Devastlian? You don't think any Mortal Kombat characters are good enough for Brawl? C'mon, what about Sub-Zero & Scorpion, da ultimate infamous ninjas of all time.

AxemRed

Smash Journeyman
Throwing Mortal Kombat characters into a smash bros. game is like...putting Soul Calibur characters in Tekken (except Yoshimitsu, which worked out fairly well), or putting Power Stone characters in a street fighter game. Fighting games shouldn't mix, it takes away from the originality of the game, especially smash bros. Has any smash bros. character hailed from a fighting game yet? One great thing about smash bros. is being able to take characters from different genres and give them all movesets in a balanced fighting game. Why add characters like Subzero and Scorpion? Sure, they're great fighting chars, but the fighting system of mortal kombat is completely different. You'd be taking them out of their niche and into a system where they don't belong. Besides, think of their specials. Being able to freeze people on demand in 5 different ways would make Subzero unfair. And then you have scorpion's specials. Disappearing from one side of the screen to deliver a punch on the other? That wouldn't work in smash bros. Ok, maybe the harpoon attack (Get over here!) would work as an extended grab. But otherwise, their fighting styles are completely generic, considering you're talking about the versions of them in the original trilogy. Basically there are too many reasons not to have them added.

Eci4

Smash Ace
I feel the same way the first few sentences in axemred's post showed that he felt...

Fighting game characers should not be put into a compilation fighting game... It would just be weird

CO

Smash Ace
NNID
CO_Runaway7
3DS FC
3136-6583-7782
Are you serious Devastlian? You don't think any Mortal Kombat characters are good enough for Brawl? C'mon, what about Sub-Zero & Scorpion, da ultimate infamous ninjas of all time.
Sub-Zero is not a ninja he is Lin-Kuei. Or so he would tell you. As for MK characters in Brawl I vote no. They are too different to fit in...blood, over the top violence. Just doesn't fit the SSB MO.

_clinton

Smash Master
I think their taunts would have finish him/her screemed really loud. Then they would do their vitory pose.

Scorpion wouldn't have to teleport punch on comand it could just be his throws, Ice cliimbers Ice doesn't freeze right away you know.

AxemRed

Smash Journeyman
I think their taunts would have finish him/her screemed really loud. Then they would do their vitory pose.

Scorpion wouldn't have to teleport punch on comand it could just be his throws, Ice cliimbers Ice doesn't freeze right away you know.
Right, but this is subzero we're talking about. If you make the freezing attack non-immediate, you're being unfaithful to a set of special moves that hasn't changed fundamentally over the course of the MK series. If you make it immediate, it's like having a freezie on command. Kind of a difficult choice...

_clinton

Smash Master
Ness' powers are toned down for SSB (most of them are Paula's to you know in fact they seem less then alpha IMO) Bowser was toned down to (a lot).

But if you don't like that how about making the ice kind of like disable (M2) or sing (JP) oh and if you get someone with it while there in the air they just stay there.
Ice clone would be a sweet special

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
ZIGGS
and sega games are on sale on the wii virtual console.
What does that have to do with anything? Sega has nothing to do with Mortal Kombat.

Devastlian
Well, the selection for third party characters is pretty limited and I believe they'd choose characters from good third party developers and not second rate US based ones.
You're an idiot. Mortal Kombat is one of the most well known video games there is. It was one of the biggest game series of the 90s. And since when does originating from the US automatically make a game bad?

AxemRed
Throwing Mortal Kombat characters into a smash bros. game is like...putting Soul Calibur characters in Tekken
No, it's not anything like that. Tekken doesn't have an "allstar video game character" theme.

AxemRed
Has any smash bros. character hailed from a fighting game yet?
That's because up until now there hasn't been any 3rd party characters, & Nintendo doesn't have any fighting games other then SSB.

AxemRed
One great thing about smash bros. is being able to take characters from different genres and give them all movesets in a balanced fighting game.
Exactly, so why not take characters from the fighting game genre?

AxemRed
Why add characters like Subzero and Scorpion?
Because they're cool.

AxemRed
Sure, they're great fighting chars, but the fighting system of mortal kombat is completely different.
Why are you so stupid?

AxemRed
You'd be taking them out of their niche and into a system where they don't belong.
By system do you mean SSBB or Wii? Because they're already on Wii, Mortal Kombat Armageddon is coming out for Wii in 2007. If you meant SSBB, I don't see how they don't belong. It's theme is to put several characters from completely different games that have nothing to do with eachother into one game.

AxemRed
Being able to freeze people on demand in 5 different ways would make Subzero unfair.
Who said he'd be able to do that? Why can't he just shoot ice like Ice Climbers.

AxemRed
Disappearing from one side of the screen to deliver a punch on the other?
What makes you think he has to do everything he does in his own game? They better not bring Fox back, it'll be unfair because he'll be able to fly around in a plane.

AxemRed
But otherwise, their fighting styles are completely generic
How is shooting ice generic?

AxemRed
considering you're talking about the versions of them in the original trilogy.
You know, the Sub-Zero & Scorpion from the newer MK games are still the same characters...

AxemRed
Basically there are too many reasons not to have them added.
Well, I'm still waiting to hear one.

Numa Dude
Mortal Kombat is too bloody a game for some of there characters too be in brawl.
Isn't there blood in the Metal Gear games?

AxemRed
Right, but this is subzero we're talking about. If you make the freezing attack non-immediate, you're being unfaithful to a set of special moves that hasn't changed fundamentally over the course of the MK series.
Go swallow a knife.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Because they're cool.
That's no reason to include them to Super Smash Bros. Brawl you know?
There are alot of cool characters out there, but Mortal Kombat characters just shouldn't be in Brawl. Why not? Well, because they again, lack the "connection" to Nintendo which characters like Sonic and Pacman have. But that's not all... There are alot of reasons for not having them in, but they are too oblivous to mention.

And as you said it yourself: Smash Bros. has this "all star videogame character" theme. Is Mortal Kombat an all star Nintendo video game??

You sorta disapoint me Freeman... You used to make great comments in the speculation thread in the Melee Room. It's a shame that even though you take alot of effort on your posts, your comments aren't nearly as great as they used to be...

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I could definately see a Mortal Kombat character working. Here is why.

Smash brothers should represent characters from different genres. Side scrollers (Mario), first person shooters (Samus), mini games(G&W), strategy games (Fire Emblem), RPGS (Zelda characters, Pokemon), ect. A fighting game is missing.

And personally when I think of a fighting game Mortal Kombat is the first to come to mind. It generated a movie, it revolutionized fighting gore, and it is still kicking (which is pretty decent, because many fighting games don't have great staying power). It may not be the best fighting game by a long shot, but almost everyone knows about it. The older generation, who don't play video games, remember the controversy it caused.

Now with the addition of Snake, it is possible to have characters from a bloody game. He slit throats and shoved people in lockers, but he made a great transition into the Melee World. Smash emphasizes the goofy part of games. Having Scorpion (rendered with Smash graphics and under the eye of Sakurai's knack for detail) scream out get over here while throwing out his harpoon would be great, especially after Captain Falcon taunting the ninja with "Show me your moves!"

Of course Scorpion's moves can be worked to fit the game. He wouldn't telport to the other side of the stage with a punch. (Although it could work for a backthrow. Scorpion could disappear after grabbing an oppenent and come sailing it from the other side, super fast, and punch the character in the other direction before it could move. This way Scorpion could hit others in the way while the move would be fair (could only be used if he grabs someone) and Scorpion would be susceptable to attacks while flying across the screen). See how Smash emphasises the goofy parts of games, even games with blood galore.

I say Scorpion or Sub Zero would be the best candidates. I would vote for Scorpion.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Diddy Kong
That's no reason to include them to Super Smash Bros. Brawl you know?
It's a perfect reason. What else do they need? A college degree?

Diddy Kong
Well, because they again, lack the "connection" to Nintendo which characters like Sonic and Pacman have.
Yeah, Nintendo & Sonic used to date.

Diddy Kong
There are alot of reasons for not having them in, but they are too oblivous to mention.
I hate when that happens...

Diddy Kong
And as you said it yourself: Smash Bros. has this "all star videogame character" theme.
I guess that proves it then... Mortal Kombat isn't a video game, it's a flower or something.

Diddy Kong
Is Mortal Kombat an all star Nintendo video game??
yes

Diddy Kong
You sorta disapoint me Freeman...
You disappoint your girlfriend.

Diddy Kong
You used to make great comments in the speculation thread in the Melee Room. It's a shame that even though you take alot of effort on your posts, your comments aren't nearly as great as they used to be...
I had better comments, too bad they were too oblivious to mention...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Freeman123:
It's a perfect reason. What else do they need? A college degree?
There are alot of more cool characters out there to? Why MK characters above them?
Why MK characters above the likes of lets say... Master Chief or Cloud Strife? Which I also don't want in Brawl.

Freeman123:
Yeah, Nintendo & Sonic used to date.
No, but Sonic is more regonised by Nintendo fans and had recent games on Nintendo consoles. Makes a lil bit more sence to me to include him over MK characters eh?

Freeman123:
You disappoint your girlfriend.
It's one night stands for me.

Freeman123:
I had better comments, too bad they were too oblivious to mention...
Yes they are.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Diddy Kong
There are alot of more cool characters out there to? Why MK characters above them?
We're not talking about other characters. We're talking about Mortal Kombat.

Diddy Kong
No, but Sonic is more regonised by Nintendo fans and had recent games on Nintendo consoles. Makes a lil bit more sence to me to include him over MK characters eh?
Wtf does Sonic even have to do with this discussion? The topic is about whether or not you want MK characters in SSBB, not "should MK characters be in instead of Sonic?" That's like someone suggesting Meta-Knight & me saying "Are you crazy? You really think Meta-Knight should be in more then Wario? I'm gonna go into a whole rant now about Wario even though he has nothing to do with the Meta-Knight discussion..."

AxemRed

Smash Journeyman
No, it's not anything like that. Tekken doesn't have an "allstar video game character" theme.
But Tekken is still a fighting game with its own characters. It doesn't need characters from other fighting games. Smash Bros. is the same

That's because up until now there hasn't been any 3rd party characters, & Nintendo doesn't have any fighting games other then SSB.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Nintendo still hasn't made any fighting games besides Smash Bros. If Nintendo made another fighting game and included characters from that game into the Smash Bros. Series, then that might be different. As far as third party characters go, there are plenty more deserving characters that aren't from fighting games.

Exactly, so why not take characters from the fighting game genre?
You miss my point. I meant being able to take characters that had no connection to the fighting genre and give them movesets that work in a balanced fighting game.

Because they're cool.
So are Sonic, Megaman, Bomberman, Marina Lightyears, Black Shadow, Samurai Goroh, Crono, Ike, King Dedede...the list goes on and on. It doesn't matter if they're "cool." The issue is who deserves to make the cut, and I'd take any of the characters I just mentioned over MK characters first.

Why are you so stupid?
You're going to respond to my argument by calling me stupid? If I'm stupid for saying what I did, at least explain why. I'll say it again, the fighting system in MK is very different and the moves characters have in MK are created based on that system. If that's a dumb thing to say, tell me why.

By system do you mean SSBB or Wii? Because they're already on Wii, Mortal Kombat Armageddon is coming out for Wii in 2007. If you meant SSBB, I don't see how they don't belong. It's theme is to put several characters from completely different games that have nothing to do with eachother into one game.
By "system" I meant putting them into the Smash Bros. series. I know Armageddon will be on Wii soon, and that the games of old were on the SNES too. As far as why they don't belong, look again at my third response.

Who said he'd be able to do that? Why can't he just shoot ice like Ice Climbers.
Because Sub-Zero isn't the Ice Cllimbers. He doesn't breath ice. He shoots ice projectiles that freeze people in place. He uses ice clones to the same effect. For these two attacks, imagine how easy it would be to combo people by knocking them into the air and freezing them, then rinsing and repeating. He also has an ice puddle attack to make opponents slip, but what place would that have in Smash Bros? There are already slippery surfaces, we don't need a character to make them where he pleases.

What makes you think he has to do everything he does in his own game? They better not bring Fox back, it'll be unfair because he'll be able to fly around in a plane.
It was impossible to translate Fox's actions into Smash Bros. 64 because he was almost never on foot, except in Star Fox 64 multiplayer. Thus, Fox has no signature moves himself that can be brought into the game. The same goes for a character like Captain Falcon. However, Kirby has his trademark swallowing ability; Mario can shoot fireballs; Link has his spin attack. If subzero did make the cut, he should have a freezing attack because it's his trademark attack. And I didn't say subzero had to do everything he does in the game; but the freezing attack is important. Similarly, scorpion's teleport punch and harpoon are his trademark attacks. At least one of them should be included if he were to make the cut.

How is shooting ice generic?
Here, I wasn't talking about special attacks. Apart from special attacks, what do subzero, scorpion, and the rest of the crew have in the original games? Generic jump attacks, sweep kicks, punches...Assuming more than one MK character made it in, their movesets (apart from the specials) would have to be differentiated, or we would have another clone situation.

You know, the Sub-Zero & Scorpion from the newer MK games are still the same characters...
The same characters, but with new movesets. No more generic regular attacks, everbody has two or three fighting styles with their own unique moves (regular and special). Haven't you played MK: Deception? Even the button inputs for special attacks have changed. The 3D games are a lot different from the originals.

Well, I'm still waiting to hear one.
Hmm, why even respond like that?

Go swallow a knife.
Again with the bold but hollow statements. You say I should swallow a knife? Tell me why. I have no idea why my last comment warrants this.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I could definately see a Mortal Kombat character working. Here is why.

Smash brothers should represent characters from different genres. Side scrollers (Mario), first person shooters (Samus, Fox), mini games(G&W), strategy games (Fire Emblem), RPGS (Zelda characters, Pokemon), racing games (Captain Falcon) ect. A fighting game is missing.

And personally when I think of a fighting game Mortal Kombat is the first to come to mind. It generated a movie, it revolutionized fighting gore, and it is still kicking (which is pretty decent, because many fighting games don't have great staying power). It may not be the best fighting game by a long shot, but almost everyone knows about it. The older generation, who don't play video games, remember the controversy it caused.

Now with the addition of Snake, it is possible to have characters from a bloody game. He slit throats and shoved people in lockers, but he made a great transition into the Melee World. Smash emphasizes the goofy part of games. Having Scorpion (rendered with Smash graphics and under the eye of Sakurai's knack for detail) scream out get over here while throwing out his harpoon would be great, especially after Captain Falcon taunting the ninja with "Show me your moves!"

Of course Scorpion's moves can be worked to fit the game. He wouldn't telport to the other side of the stage with a punch. (Although it could work for a backthrow. Scorpion could disappear after grabbing an oppenent and come sailing it from the other side, super fast, and punch the character in the other direction before it could move. This way Scorpion could hit others in the way while the move would be fair (could only be used if he grabs someone) and Scorpion would be susceptable to attacks while flying across the screen). See how Smash emphasises the goofy parts of games, even games with blood galore.

I say Scorpion or Sub Zero would be the best candidates. I would vote for Scorpion.

Scorpion's Moveset:

A: A quick punch accompanied by a ninja grunt
AA: A quick punch, followed by a strong outward palm strike as he grunts again
AAA: Jab, open palm (with opposite arm), and then he swings arm (opposite other arm) in a clockwise circle striking the oppenent on top of the head with an open palm. Hits oppenent toward the ground, could bounce up the enemy for a combo

Toward A: Steps forward with a bent knee and launched both arms forward with palms open (looks like Lui Kang's animation when he shoots a fireball)

Down A: Old fashion MK sweep kick

Up A: Old fashion MK uppercut

Forward Smash: Scorpion slides one foot back, and then crossses his arms over his head while reaching to his back. He grabs the hilts of both ninja swords strapped on his back and then unsheaths them and swings them over his head and toward the ground in one smooth motion. The swords are crossed (because he crossed his arms to pull them out) and appear as a flaming X. The blades are made out of pure fire and leave a trail of ash. They fizzle out when they hit the ground. There is a burst of ember around the sheaths and the handles materialize back where they were. Lag in the begginning but fair range and strong knockback and attack.

Down Smash: Scorpion stands up straight while either facing the screen (or having his back toward the screen). He raises his arms straight above his head and tilts his chin up. Fire spouts in a circle around his body and rises shoulder high before extinguishing into billows of smoke. Quick to start up, bad knockbad, but pretty good damage depending how close the person is. Some after lag.

Up Smash: Scorpion crouches down and looks up with one arm bent at his side. In his hand a ball of fire starts to form. The longer the charge, the bigger the sphere of flames. While he is charging one can vaguely seen translucent images of ghosts spiraling from areas near scorpion and towards the center of the ball. The ghosts can even be images of other MK characters. Then Scorpion hurls it upwards. The fireball shrinks as it goes up (and loses knockback power the higher it is). Screams of ghosts are heard when he tosses it up. Could travel near the top of the screen on some levels if fully charged. Leaves trail of embers and ash.

Throw: Scorpion reaches forward with both arms to snag himself a victim. (The harpoon I am saving for Toward B).

A: Scorion's eyes blaze orange and smoke billows from his hands. He steadily burns the enemy.

Forward throw: Scorpion holds the others arms, then leaps off the ground, curls his knees to his chest and places his feet on the other character's chest (center of body) and then kicks off sending the oppenent straight back.

Backthrow: Scorpion teleports into a blaze of orange swirls. A teleport quickly opens in front of the oppenent, but a few paces away. Scorpion shoots out (in the position he does the teleport punch) and sends a fist into the oppenent's chest. Hits anyway in the way. Any other character caught in his path goes up, but the oppenent is sent backwards in a straight trajectory.

Banksya

Smash Ace
EDIT- Wow, i can't believe you wasted your time with that. ^^^^

whoever thinks mortal kombat characters are going to be in brawl are COMPLETELY ********. thats so random and stupid its not even funny. DUHHH LETS HAVE BILL CLINTON IN BRAWL. hey thats a good idea too right?

snake being in the game is a favor asked by hideo kojima, the creator of MGS who knows the people at Nintendo. They aren't going to randomly put in videogame characters just because it would be cool. MK chars would be stupid, wouldn't mesh with the game at all and would be gay. k, thanks, bye.

AxemRed

Smash Journeyman

whoever thinks mortal kombat characters are going to be in brawl are COMPLETELY ********. thats so random and stupid its not even funny. DUHHH LETS HAVE BILL CLINTON IN BRAWL. hey thats a good idea too right?

snake being in the game is a favor asked by kutaragi, the creator of MGS who knows the people at Nintendo. They aren't going to randomly put in videogame characters just because it would be cool. MK chars would be stupid, wouldn't mesh with the game at all and would be gay. k, thanks, bye.
Umm wait, you mean Hideo Kojima right? Isn't Ken Kutaragi the creator of the playstation or something? I forget... but Kojima is definately the creator of MGS.

Chickenboy666

Smash Ace

snake being in the game is a favor asked by kutaragi, the creator of MGS who knows the people at Nintendo. They aren't going to randomly put in videogame characters just because it would be cool. MK chars would be stupid, wouldn't mesh with the game at all and would be gay. k, thanks, bye.
BILL CLINTON FTW!!! just kidding

I agree with you, but PLEASE, don't use the word "gay" that way.

And yes, the creator of MGS is Hideo Kojima

Wolf_FTW

Smash Journeyman
No i did not consider mortal combat players and i dont think im going to

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sure, it's possible to have MK characters in Smash Bros. But there are 2 big reasons against them, and none of them are "They are already fighting game characters" or "They aren't close to Nintendo" because those are stupid reasons:

1. Midway is an American company. While this wouldn't seem to be a problem at first, you must remember that Japanese game companies take their crossover games very seriousely. Capcom and Namco are much more likely thanks to the fact that they are japanese companies, with games on all of the gaming theaters, rather than a US-based company with a much more limited selling base.

2. Mortal Kombat is bloody. Now, So is Metal Gear, yes, but you must remember. The point of MG isn't the blood, it's the intreague. On the other hand, the point of MK IS the blood. Argue all you want, but without Blood, Fatalities, screams, terror and other things that would NOT fit into a T-rated game, Mortal Kombat characters are soulless. Hell, until the newer 3D games rolled around, every MK character had the same basic moveset with slightly tweaked special moves and throws, especially the 2D ones. Without blood, there is no point to playing a Mortal Kombat game or character, and there will be no blood in SSBB. Would you really want Scorpion in if he couldn't kill anyone?

Those two reasons are why MK characters will most likely never see combat in SSBB.

icymatt

Smash Lord
Has anyone considered that Mortal Kombat has sucked since the beginning?
I really hate to let the fanboy side of me take over, but I honestly hate MK. It's always been an incredibly stilted, poorly designed series whose only redeeming quality is the comedic factor.

Konuk

Smash Journeyman
Explain Comedic factor of the game Unless ur talking about the INFAMOUS : Whooopisee!!!
i hated MK aswell there not making any more LOL

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
And let this thread now segue completely into a flame war about the quality of Mortal Kombat games.

Personally, I treat MK as a wonderful guilty pleasure. It's fun, but I know that other fighters do everything MK does so much better. Also, since the latest game took out the traditional Fatalities in favor of lame "Kreate-a-Fatalities" I officially lost faith in the series forever.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I completely agree on the "Kreate-a-Fatality" thing, but considering custom characters shouldn't be using known fatalities, it slightly bothers me less.

Anyway, after ignoring useless flame wars, I've looked at some of the move ideas. Scorpion sounds very good, and works quite well. As for costumes and such, he can use his original ninja costume, and just have color(and some appropriate face mask changes) to represent some of the other ninjas. As in Noob Saibot(Black), Sub-Zero(Blue), Rain(Purple), Ermac(Red), Smoke(Gray), and Yellow(Scorpion). I can't think of any other main ninjas right now...

The only thing about his Spear that should be unique is that IF it were to be a Throw itself, why not make it the only one blockable(and reflectable, but not deflectable, as that makes no sense for how it works). Of course, it'd be somewhat slow, but the grab itself would deal a little damage. Another point is a lot of the mentioned characters above have Projectile attacks in the same sense as Mario's Fireball. It could be just different colors to represent the respective costume.

I just call it Ninja Ball. It gets to the point, and it would be like a slower version of the Charge Shot at about half the strength. It's one way to put many classic characters in without putting them in. And yes, as for the costumes, were they not all sprite recolors throughout most of the 2-D Mortal Kombats? Also, presuming another ninja was to be chosen, the respective costumes could stay the same overall.

Top Bottom