• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event Preview: Super Smash Con

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Hosting panels, performances, and even a dance party, Super Smash Con looks to be an incredible event for those who attend. Through all of this there is one thing on the mind especially for the folks who have to watch at home: the tournaments. Official tournaments for all four mainstream Smash games will take place with over $30,000 in pot bonuses so the competition is bound to be fierce.

The first of the Smash games looks to be quite the spectacle. One hundred fifty-two players have entered the event including names like SuPeRbOoMfAn, KeroKeroppi, tacos, and pidgezero_one. With a pot bonus of $5,000 and $1540 from entry fees the stakes are high.

With five hundred eighty-six entrants and taking place so soon after Evo 2015 many are excited to see how the cards will fall in Melee. $10,000 dollars are on the line in pot bonuses and a lot of talent has traveled to the event. Try to read all of thesze in one breath: Leffen, SFAT, Nintendude, DJ Nintendo, Chillindude, Prince Abu, Toph, mew2king, MacD, ChuDat, PC Chris, Axe, HugS, The Moon, Colbol, Westballz, Cactuar, and MORE.

This tournament at Super Smash Con looks to be the largest Brawl tournament to take place since Apex 2015. One hundred nineteen entrants have signed up to compete with a $5,000 pot bonus on the line. Some of the great names in Brawl have entered including Nairo, Dabuz, ESAM, Mr-R, mew2king, NAKAT, and False.

With $10,000 in pot bonuses, seven hundred thirty-nine entrants, and the largest Smash 4 tournament since Evo 2015 the tournament looks to be fierce. Everyone is looking to see if newly signed ZeRo will finally lose a set and there will be many great names there to challenge him: mew2king, NAKAT, DunnoBro, Nairo, ESAM, Angel Cortes, VaBengal, Junebug, Mr-R, MVD, Bloodcross, Seagull Joe, DKwill, GimR, Demna, Dabuz, False, Fatality, and Max Ketchum all have entered.

---​

The full tournament schedule is available for viewing here. The stream will be provided by VGBootCamp. Don't miss out on a chance to see all of these Smash games under one roof!

SmashCapps is very excited to sit down with the family and watch this this weekend. Be sure to follow him on Twitter to talk to him about the action.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
I really want to see the Brawl tournament.

After the insanity that occurred at Apex, I really want to see the stream for it.

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
Dang. I thought Brawl died off when Smash 4 was released.

Caterpillor

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5455-9928-7747
I'm quite disappointed we got no stream for Sm4sh doubles though :/

Retro X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
uncorruptable
I like how Max Ketchum is listed as one of the great names to challenge Zero, he's totally gonna be the one to take him out right guys?

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
I like how Max Ketchum is listed as one of the great names to challenge Zero, he's totally gonna be the one to take him out right guys?
Nah man it's gonna be GimR.

The GimZ alwayZ winZ

Odon

Smash Cadet
I want to believe that fatality can win but the sheik match-up is so bad for falcon. Its by no means impossible but Zero is currently undefeated sooooooo yea...

RoyIsOurBoy_TTG

Smash Journeyman
Brawl: 119 entrants. Smash 64: 152.

LOL

Even the ancient original Smash is gaining more entrants than Brawl now. Pretty sad.

And then Smash 4 with the most entrants, makes sense.

Will ZeRo finally be defeated? No.

PKAce

Smash Rookie
I've never been this happy to live in Chantilly, VA! Can't wait for take the 5 minute commute to Smash Con this weekend.

RoyIsOurBoy_TTG

Smash Journeyman
Is Smash 4 killing Melee? I think so. Please don't hurt us anymore.. We just want to be free...
Smash 4 is not killing Melee. Melee tournament entry numbers have been getting larger and larger for years. Smash 4 has more entrants because it is the newest game, it's no different than when Brawl came out. Melee will be fine, don't worry.

Last edited:

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
This is SO close to where I live that it's frustrating not being able to go.

~8 hours of driving if you include the traffic... that's such a long time by my standards, but MEASLY compared to pretty much any other major event. Oh my god.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
:4sheik::rosalina::4pacman::4zss::4wario2::4yoshi::4pikachu::4miibrawl::4luigi::4diddy: :4sonic::4ness::4fox::4falcon:are already expected to be overused. Hopefully since there's over 700 players, new dlc characters, and most of the characters were buffed, there will be much more characters like :4pit::4wiifit::4robinf::4duckhunt::4darkpit::4ryu::4lucas:can shine brighter than any diamond in the world.

Smash 4 is not killing Melee. Melee tournament entry numbers have been getting larger and larger for years. Smash 4 has more entrants because it is the newest game, it's no different than when Brawl came out. Melee will be fine, don't worry.
DLC helps Smash 4 aswell.

Caterpillor

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5455-9928-7747
:4sheik::rosalina::4pacman::4zss::4wario2::4yoshi::4pikachu::4miibrawl::4luigi::4diddy: :4sonic::4ness::4fox::4falcon:are already expected to be overused. Hopefully since there's over 700 players, new dlc characters, and most of the characters were buffed, there will be much more characters like :4pit::4wiifit::4robinf::4duckhunt::4darkpit::4ryu::4lucas:can shine brighter than any diamond in the world.

DLC helps Smash 4 aswell.
I guess you only watched EVO... Pac-Man, Wario, Brawler as overused ?
DHD didn't really get buffed. Same for the Pits

EVO viewer numbers say otherwise.
Because we can totally compare a stream on Saturday at noon and a stream on Sunday's big scene in late afternoon.....

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I guess you only watched EVO... Pac-Man, Wario, Brawler as overused ?
DHD didn't really get buffed. Same for the Pits
Dark Pit not really, Pit he was buffed. I went off by other tournaments like Xanadu, which had alot of them, don't know why you assumed I was basing my comment off of EVO.

Caterpillor

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5455-9928-7747
Because we don't many other Pac-Man and Wario than Abadango's so I don't see how they are overused...

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I mean, not really. Most people don't use them in tournaments.
That's because they were banned at EVO, and theres people using atleast Ryu and Roy. Besides Pink Fresh, havent seen much Lucas.

Caterpillor

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5455-9928-7747
That's because they were banned at EVO, and theres people using atleast Ryu and Roy. Besides Pink Fresh, havent seen much Lucas.
Indeed, not many Lucas, I think even Pink Fresh dropped it and got back to Pit.

RoyIsOurBoy_TTG

Smash Journeyman
And Mewtwo is arguably the worst character in the game. He was the only DLC character allowed at EVO, and still no one used him. :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom