• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~Eternl~ An epic story by Ouendanation [Up to Chapter IV]

Ouendanation

Smash Ace
Here's a story I made (wtf why did my old thread get deleted), and I just got to working on it tonight. I finished Chapters I-III (III not finished), so here they are (and a prologue, too!)

Summary - Kail and his family were living peacful lives on Arcterra, one generation after The Great Migration. One day, Kail leaves the underground caves for work like usual, but today, when he gets to the surface, he finds something he never could have dreamed of, and gets involved in the biggest war the universe has ever known. (Cliche, I know :psycho:)

[Table of Contents]

[Prologue].........Prologue
[Chapter I]........Underground
[Chapter II].......The War

[--------]
[Prologue]
[--------]

One hundred thirteen years ago, the Earth was thrust into a major crisis. It became overpopulated, and would soon become entirely uninhabitable. Scientists were forced to work furiously at something to help this crisis. They came up with a device that transported people to other planets, which they dubbed "MTD", short for "Molecular Transport Device".
Unfortunately, the first test run failed, and the scientist that went in never came back.

300,000,000 workers were sent to each planet to help build cities and set up MTDs. After 10 years, every planet was at least partially habitable. People migrated to each planet, and everything went smoothly. From then on, this event was referred to as the "Great Migration".

One hundred thirteen years later, the planets are finished, and people are living peacefully. No one knew that peace was about to end.

[------------------------]
[Chapter I - Underground]

"...Kail? Kail! Wake up! I don't want you to be late for work." “Thanks," a young man known as Kail replied as he got out of bed. He glanced over at the clock on the wall over his bed on his way out, which read 9:35 AM.

"Bye, Mother," he said after he finished showering, etc.
"Oh, Kail, wait. There's a letter from your father I received."
"What does it say?"
"It says...
'Dear Kail,
I'm out on the surface, doing some research. I should be back
in a few days. I'm staying at an Inn a few miles away. Well, see
you soon.

Love,
Dad'."
"Thanks! See you later!" Kail said as he ran out into the mass of tunnels beneath Arcterra's surface.

Kail scanned the landscape in search of tunnel A-2, which led to the surface. He saw it after a moment, until he suddenly heard a voice behind him calling out his name. He turned to see who it was. A girl was calling out "Kail! Wait!"
"Oh, hi, Aria." he replied.
"What's the big rush? Couldn't you have dropped by first?"
"If I did, I would've been late for work."
"Oh, ok."
"I need to get going now. Bye."
"Bye," Aria said as he started walking away.

Kail kept walking until he reached the long tunnel leading to the surface. He saw something on the ground ahead of him. He walked towards them until he could make them out. Once he realized what they were, he gasped and said "No! What happened here?!" Laying on the ground and covered in claw marks... were corpses.

[--------------------]
[Chapter II - The War]
[--------------------]

Kail looked around for the murderer, but the only thing he saw was blood spattered all over the walls. He hesitated a moment and cautiously walked forward to the surface. His jaw dropped in awe when he got up the ramp. He saw something bigger than he had ever seen before. Hundreds of people fighting strange creatures with massive claws for hands, blue skin and 3 horizontal slits for a face.

All of a sudden, something flew past him, and made an explosion behind him. He quickly looked for something to use as cover, and ran behind a boulder. Another one launched, this time landing closer. He got a glimpse of it, and realized it was a bomb. He looked around the
corner of the boulder, watching for more bombs. After a moment, he saw a cannon launch one, which headed straight for the boulder. Kail sprinted out of the way just before it hit the boulder and heard an explosion behind him.

He heard a voice yelling to him, but he couldn't make it out because of all the screams and screeches. He carefully listened, and followed the voice to its origin and found his father calling him.

He reached his father, but there was no time for greetings. He told Kail to help fight the aliens with his katana, his trusted sword he'd been using to hunt animals for years. He unsheathed the gleaming, silver blade and held it in front of him, ready to strike at any time.

He heard his father tell him from behind that if he saw an alien within 20 feet, attack it with all his might. He spun around quickly, scanning the immediate area for one. He spotted one and quickly ran towards it, holding his sword, preparing to attack it.

Once within striking range, he cautiously approached, knowing if he made one mistake, his life would end. He threw himself towards it, slashing at it. Right before he brought down his arm to kill the creature, it swung its claw towards Kail, narrowly missing his right arm. He knew he needed to end the battle as quickly as possible, so he began to cut upwards as fast as he possibly could. At the same time, the monster began to swing again. He felt his blade cut through its right arm, and the wound began to spray blood as the alien, or whatever it was, screeched. Kail saw it was vulnerable, and decided he would finish it now or never. He lurched forward, driving the sword through its chest. He quickly pulled his sword
out, and it fell to the ground. He stood there for what seemed like hours, realizing only now what he had really done.

His father's voice called out,"Kail! We need to retreat," and awakened him from his trance. He ran back to where he was, and his father said to him, "Follow me!"

Kail did so, and they ran until they reached an entrance to the underground, and they went in.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
First off, I'm not a big fan of using summaries at the beginning of a story. If you summarize it at the beginning, what is the incentive for me to read it?

Secondly, it seems like Kai doesn't realize that there's a huge war going on right over his head until he sees it firsthand. This is unbelievable, and you may want to take a look at that.

Thirdly, be careful about falling into the "Final Fantasy Syndrome". That is, everyone around your main character has superior technology such as guns, cannons, et., yet your protagonist is stuck in the past with an ancient and ineffective weapon (I'm looking at YOU, Cloud). Would it really make sense to fight alien invaders with a katana?

Lastly, there's that problem that seems to be the most prevalent around here, wordiness.

[Chapter I - Underground]

"...Kail? Kail! Wake up! I don't want you to be late for work." “Thanks," a young man known as Kail (he)replied as he got out of bed. He glanced over at the clock on the wall over his bed on his way out, which read 9:35 AM.

"Bye, Mother," he said after he finished showering, etc.
"Oh, Kail, wait. There's a letter from your father I received."
"What does it say?"
"It says...
'Dear Kail,
I'm out on the surface, doing some research. I should be back
in a few days. I'm staying at an Inn a few miles away. Well, see
you soon.

Love,
Dad'."
"Thanks! See you later!" Kail said as he ran out into the mass of tunnels beneath Arcterra's surface.

Kail scanned the landscape in search of tunnel A-2, which led to the surface. He saw it after a moment, until he suddenly heard a voice behind him calling out his name. He turned to see who it was. A girl was calling out "Kail! Wait!"
"Oh, hi, Aria." he replied.
"What's the big rush? Couldn't you have dropped by first?"
"If I did, I would've been late for work."
"Oh, ok."
"I need to get going now. Bye."
"Bye," Aria said as he started walking away.

Kail kept walking until he reached the long tunnel leading to the surface. He saw something on the ground ahead of him. He walked towards them until he could make them out. Once he realized what they were, he gasped and said "No! What happened here?!" Laying on the ground and covered in claw marks... were corpses.

[--------------------]
[Chapter II - The War]
[--------------------]

Kail looked around for the murderer, but the only thing he saw was blood spattered all over the walls. He hesitated a moment and cautiously walked forward to the surface. His jaw dropped in awe when he got up the ramp. He saw something bigger than he had ever seen before. Hundreds of people (were) fighting strange creatures with massive claws for hands, blue skin and 3 horizontal slits for a face.

All of a sudden, something flew past him, and made an explosion behind him. He quickly looked for something to use as cover, and ran behind a boulder. Another one launched, this time landing closer. He got a glimpse of it, and realized it was a bomb. He looked around the
corner of the boulder, watching for more bombs. After a moment, he saw a cannon launch one (fire), which headed (aimed) straight for the boulder. Kail sprinted out of the way just before it hit the boulder and heard an explosion behind him.

He heard a voice yelling to him, but he couldn't make it out because of all the screams and screeches. He carefully listened, and followed the voice to its origin and found his father calling him.

He reached his father, but there was no time for greetings. He told Kail to help fight the aliens with his katana, his trusted sword he'd been using to hunt animals for years. He unsheathed the gleaming, silver blade and held it in front of him, ready to strike at any time.

He heard his father tell him from behind that if he saw an alien within 20 feet, attack it with all his might. He spun around quickly, scanning the immediate area for one. He spotted one and quickly ran towards it, holding his sword, preparing to attack it.

Once within striking range, he cautiously approached, knowing if he made one mistake, his life would end. He threw himself towards it, slashing at it. Right before he brought down his arm to kill the creature, it swung its claw towards Kail, narrowly missing his right arm. He knew he needed to end the battle as quickly as possible, so he began to cut upwards as fast as he possibly could. At the same time, the monster began to swing again. He felt his blade cut through its right arm, and the wound began to spray blood as the alien, or whatever it was, screeched. Kail saw it was vulnerable, and decided he would finish it now or never. He lurched forward, driving the sword through its chest. He quickly pulled his sword
out, and it fell to the ground. He stood there for what seemed like hours, realizing only now what he had really done.

His father's voice called out,"Kail! We need to retreat," and awakened him from his trance. He ran back to where he was, and his father said to him, "Follow me!"

Kail did so, and they ran until they reached an entrance to the underground, and they went in.
The bold words in parenthesis are words that I added. This story has potential, just be careful to watch out for anime cliches and unecesssary exposition.

Ouendanation

Smash Ace
First off, I'm not a big fan of using summaries at the beginning of a story. If you summarize it at the beginning, what is the incentive for me to read it?

Secondly, it seems like Kai doesn't realize that there's a huge war going on right over his head until he sees it firsthand. This is unbelievable, and you may want to take a look at that.

Thirdly, be careful about falling into the "Final Fantasy Syndrome". That is, everyone around your main character has superior technology such as guns, cannons, et., yet your protagonist is stuck in the past with an ancient and ineffective weapon (I'm looking at YOU, Cloud). Would it really make sense to fight alien invaders with a katana?

Lastly, there's that problem that seems to be the most prevalent around here, wordiness.

The bold words in parenthesis are words that I added. This story has potential, just be careful to watch out for anime cliches and unecesssary exposition.
Thanks a heap for the critique! I'll try and edit the story, will probably be a week to a few weeks before the next chapter is up.

Top Bottom