• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Etcetera GW Stuff

TheUndeadReturns

Smash Cadet
NNID
House0fFastFood
Here's some things I've noticed have worked okay through out time with me using GnW, which is almost constantly. (Bare with me as I'm using mobile at the moment)

Gimps:
The sour spot in d-smash is actually quite large. It's vertical reach is pretty high. Seeing as that's a semi-spike, it helps to edgeguard.

Chef. We all know how to gimp with Chef, just run off and use it at the lip of the stage, and make sure it hits (that's at least the usual method). It's also a semi-spike.
One I figured out awhile ago but haven't really used is letting go of the ledge, immediately jumping, then b-reversing chef (only pressing the button once), then grabbing the ledge again.
This works the same with ledge camping (by not b-reversing), but due to SSB4's new physics that's not exactly safe to do.

Back air.
I can't 100% confirm this, as so far it requires strict timing. But characters with predictable, multi-hit recoveries (such as Mario) can get a similar downward launch as Little Mac's d-air will send them. This only happens when the b-air, and the opponent's recovery move hits at the same time (trade). Note, that it has to be a force-fallen b-air.
These results are because b-air hits multiple times, and the character getting hit is forced to be brought down with the move in order for each hit to connect
I had it happen twice yesterday, and could probably make a video of it in action if people need to see.

Down air, but not in the traditional sense.
Sure, you could go for the spike. I found that personally, on stages like Battlefield, that using the move while facing inwards to the stage results in an immediate stage-spike (assuming the opponent doesn't tech).
I wouldn't think many people would expect that from a G&W.
As long as you're not too low when you do it (you can make it back when used at equal height to the stage's lip), you should be fine, but I'd still be a little careful.
Use it at the (on-stage) lip if your opponent re-grabs the ledge, that's an immediate spike.
If you ever want to land the spike without gimmicks, use it at around the same spacing Luigi's aerial up-b requires in order to connect (that is if your opponent is falling). Pretty much, your head is just under their hurtbox.

Dash attack.
I'm actually being serious here. With close looks at it's horizontal reach it goes pretty far.. GW's hurtbox is no where near the ledge but it still hits opponents that are just about to grab it. With that in mind, notice how sometimes it launches opponents behind you? That actually means it still stage spikes, despite that being a listed nerf. KEEP IN MIND, that this is very situational, so I am by no means stating this is an easy thing to continuously go for.

Running off and catching any second jump with a sour f-air is reliable, but it depends on your opponent, like always.

--------------------------------------

Regards to the bucket.
People dislike the mundane amount of lag the bucket has after absorbing a projectile.

Basically, let go of the inputs right BEFORE any projectile goes into it, and you'll experience little to no end-lag. You can also absorb projectiles while GW is doing the "putting away" animation for it, and it still adds to your gauge.
It strangely enough helps recovering on the first use in the air, horizontally.

As far as bucket-jumping goes (using the bucket once, then jumping before using it again for a height boost) I don't find much use in it, but it has it's applications at times.

Speaking of situational gimps, GW's ledge get-up attack reaches below the stage and launches opponents towards it, causing it to also stage-spike.

-------------------------------------

Just thought I'd say, learn that not-so-new glide toss tech that was discovered (DGCGT/DITCIT/SGT there's a ton of names for it lol).

It benefits G&W greatly out of all the characters, sending him half the length of the stage. I personally have it down.. okay. I screw up from time to time but I usually get it on-command. I'd recommend not thinking about what inputs you're doing, if that helps. It certainly does for me.

Thread for this tech:
http://smashboards.com/threads/dash-item-toss-cancelled-item-throw.399888

As far as Judge goes, landing it from a d-throw never requires you to jump twice. If you do, the opponent is at too high a % for a 9 to be useful.

However, if you're fighting a GW yourself, DI-ing in usually nullifies any chance of getting hit, unless they can respond that fast.. As far as landing it without a d-throw, jump in with a f-air or b-air that clearly didn't hit, then go back out at the peak of your jump. This makes it look like you're in a bad situation, causing most people to just rush in for a punish (aka baiting). Use Judge when you're about to land and it should work.

Call me a skrub, but if an opponent is wide-open for a punish, I usually rush in with Judge...

Some small d-throw notes.
Some may've seen this already, but d-throw > f-tilt is true to almost every character in the roster, at low %s (I believe even working on GW himself, but I could be wrong).

While fighting any characters with early-frame attacks (such as Mario, Luigi's and Yoshi's n-air), d-throw > u-smash cancels it out, due to it's invincibility on start-up.

Keep in mind, that option is based on the opponent your fighting. Most people just jump or air-dodge away from grabs, and u-smash isn't fast enough to catch them.

d-throw > u-tilt (I THINK) is true on characters at higher %s, such as 30-40%, but n-air is tougher to connect afterwards. It's like a trade-off.

There were some other things I had to mention, but I either forgot or didn't think they were too worth-while. (But then again this whole list isn't that worth-while lol)

Last edited:
Top Bottom