• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Escaping Final Smashes

Kham

Smash Cadet
Is there anyway to dodge FSs which send you into an animation like Ike's, Link's, Toon Link's, Falcon's and Kirby's do after being hit? Also, How do you avoid being put to sleep by peach's FS?

heety9

Smash Journeyman
I saw a video in which Ike used his super armor to stop the knockback of Marth's FS. Too lazy to find it again, though. :p

LeTECK

Smash Rookie
Is there anyway to dodge FSs which send you into an animation like Ike's, Link's, Toon Link's, Falcon's and Kirby's do after being hit? Also, How do you avoid being put to sleep by peach's FS?
Links and Toon links one of your hitboxes has to be in front of them.

Ike and Falcon when they activate the FS, you have to be close to them.

Kirby's has like an invincible bubble around it. I've also noticed if you hang onto an edge it won't do anything.

Peach's i believe you hang onto an edge, but THAT i'm not 100% about.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Certain Final Smashes are nearly impossible to avoid. If Ganondorf uses his Final Smash, say bye-bye to one of your lives.

Chrono Centaur

Smash Apprentice
Umm I rolled just before Link used his and managed to escape it without damage at all, and he got me in the triangle too

so before he uses his, just roll towards him or something, if you do it right he'll hit you but then you'll break loose

Hinote

Smash Cadet
Certain Final Smashes are nearly impossible to avoid. If Ganondorf uses his Final Smash, say bye-bye to one of your lives.
Ganondorf's FS is actually one of the easiest in my opinion. It can be stopped by (I believe) ledgehopping, jumping over it, behind it, and under the stage.

I've had trouble actually getting hit by Falcon's, it seems that it has such a small range. Kirby's can be dodged by rolling, and Link's and Toon Link's both can be avoided by ledgehopping/air dodging. I'm sure that Ike's can be dodged by ledgehopping as well.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
That's what I love about Dedede, most of the time you can just jump over the person using the FS, and stall in the air until their attack is finished.

Sikarios

Smash Cadet
What about Snake's FS? Usually I'll dodge his first "clip" but then at least one of those grenades of the 2nd clip get me every time. Just brush up on the dodging/rolling?

Ereki

Smash Cadet
From prior experience whilst playing against my friends, it just depends on how fluent/well you are with Air dodging, or just basic rolling.

Character Specific:

Kirby - I've managed to avoid it, by using rolling/air dodge, at least twice. I don't know if it's just my pure luck, or that's the proper way to avoid it.

Diddy Kong/Sonic - Roll/Air Dodge for your LIFE.

Lucario - This one is, sadly, one of the easier ones to avoid as well. If you're Lucas/Ness, you can simply PK Thunder yourself through it, and any other character with a decent jump can avoid the majority of the attack, or just hop over Lucario if it's possible. [Sonic/Snake]

Ganon/Mario/Marth/Pokemon Trainer - Both of these involve facing a side and pummelling to a combo, or definite kill. Your best bet is hopping over them, if not, it's almost guaranteed you lost a life.

Snake - From my attempts, I've always been hit by at least one. Your best bet is to try and remain as unpredictable as possible, or Air dodge right before the clip hits you.

Metaknight/Toon/Link - Your best bet is to stay away, or roll right when they come into close contact, I think. I've never actually got caught by it, or hit it for that matter, due to a lack of judgment.

Wolf/Falco/Fox - I figure ledgeguarding would be best? I've never actually survived this without dying at least once.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Dodging FS

Mario - jump over it or get behind him. Or just take the hit, and DI correctly. It's not even that strong.

Luigi - get the f*** away from him. Kinda hard/impossible depending on the stage.

Peach - get as far away from her as possible then tap wildly to wake up quickly. You can wake up before she finishes dancing.

Bowser - hang on to an edge. Roll unto the stage if he jumps off to hit you. It only lasts like 10 seconds.

Yoshi - Book it. Kinda hard on most stages.

Wario - Run for it and dodge alot. Definitely hard to dodge.

Donkey Kong - Stand on the other side of the stage. Hard to dodge on small stages.

Diddy Kong - Run away and try to stay above him. NEVER stay behind him. Dodging doesn't help too much.

Link/Toon Link - stay in the air to avoid the initial ray of light that shoots out.

Zelda/Sheik - Make sure you and her are never in a straight, horizontal line. In other words jump/fall
through platforms alot.

Ganondorf - jump over it. Not that hard. Jump to avoid the initial ground slam since it stuns you.

Marth - Jump and dodge alot. If he uses it in the air and misses, he'll probably die.

Ike - Don't be in front of him.

Samus - Stall in the air to avoid most of it or get behind her if you can. Kinda hard to dodge the whole thing on most stages.

Zero Suit Samus - lol. Run away. Not hard.

Fox/Falco/Wolf - Good luck on small stages. A few characters like Pit and Meta Knight can jump to avoid most of their attacks, but most characters are f***ed. Hanging on to edges doesn't work since barrel rolling knocks you off. Standing on it doesn't work as it can push you up into the air or just shoot to knock you off. Not even the recovery platform is safe. As soon as you fall off of it, even if you are invincible, you can be pushed off screen to your death. Falco's is the deadliest if you ask me.

Kirby - Dodge during the beginning. You can dodge the sucking part of it. Also, Marth and Ike can counter it. It makes no sense, but I've done it. You can also just run away if the stage is big enough.

Meta Knight - Don't stand in front of him or immediately behind him. In a 1 on 1, this can e hard since Meta Knight is so mobile. In a free for all, once he hits someone, everyone else gets hit regardless of where they are, albeit at less strength.

DeDeDe - lol. Jump to avoid most of it. Avoid gordo at all costs. Hanging from the edge works I think.

Pikachu - Jump or roll whenever he comes near. Don't block. That thing eats shields. Kinda hard to dodge if they know how to control it. Those shock waves are powerful.

PT - avoid being in front of him and your fine.

Lucario - lol. Make sure you are not under him when he starts. Move to the side as he rotates after you then jump over the beam. It lasts too short for it to get you if you avoid it right. Not hard to dodge at all.

Jigglypuff - Good Luck on small stages. Don't be touching her when she starts to shrink.

Ness/Lucas - surprisingly, standing in place dodges much of it. Roll to avoid ones coming directly down on you. Stay away from the middle of the screen to avoid the torrent at the end. Lucas' is considerably harder to dodge.

C. Falcon - Don't be near him. Not that hard unless you are using a slow character.

Ice Climbers - GG on small stages. Float over it as much as you can.

Pit - GG in 1 on 1s . You can block and attack them, but you can't stop all of them. They also eat shields quickly. You can only hope that some of them miss. In free for alls, it is a little easier to avoid.

Olimar - avoid the initial launching part at all costs lest you be buried. You can't really avoid the part where all the bulborbs munch on you. At least I don't think you can....Thankfully, they don't do too much damage. Avoid the middle of the stage at all costs lest you be blown up by the crashing rocket.

G & W - LOL. Walk away. It moves so slow, it's a joke. The tentacles don't make it much better.

R.O.B. - stay away from the laser. Rather hard in 1 on 1s, especially if there are walls or walk off edges.

Snake - roll and jump like MAD. Move erratically to trick him. In 1 on 1s, dodging all 12 is quite hard. In free for alls, he'll probably focus on blowing up one person at a time so you can relax unless he targets you. Make sure not to be near anyone lest he try to blow all of you up .Stand behind Snake on the screen and he might not see you or he might forget about you lol.

Sonic - Good Game :(. When you die, wait on the recovery platform for as long as possible to avoid the rest of the attack.

Andrew Ott

Smash Journeyman
Final smashes won't activate if you're in invincible states, which ledge-grabbing and rolling/spot-dodging gives you. So just hanging on the edge only works if you keep re-grabbing it before your invincibility runs out. I've found that this is hard to do in Brawl because there is a larger lag after grabbing an edge before you can let go/jump.

I dunno if this is common knowledge yet, but Marth's FS can be stopped by pressing B any time during the charge, so if you know your going to miss, press it and you won't die.

For dodging Marth's, most people will use it when they are lined up with you, but you can move for a little after they activate it. So if they line DIRECTLY up, but you happened to be jumping or fast-falling at the time, they'll miss. So it'd be a good idea to almost try and "bait" it by lining youself up and speeding away at the same time.

shinethezombie

Smash Rookie
I don't have the game yet but i have played it. And this is based on what i have seen so far.

Sonic- easily dodged if you time it right, but I do not know if it harder on a 1 v 1 match. Also if there are walls on the stage, sonic cannot pass through most so use that to your advantage.

Ike- stay behind him or try to stay a good distance away. :ohwell:

Fox, Falco, and Wolf- on small stages it is a pain. I would try to stay on top of it near the back, and jump off if they start to use the boosters to bring you to the top of the screen. Or you can try to stay on the ledge (i am not sure about These two tactics but it is a suggestion).

Zelda, Sheik- Most Zelda or sheik players will line up the shot so just jump over it or air dodge as said before.

I hope that i was able to help :)

Top Bottom