• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Escape routes

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
We all need to know how to get away from opponents so we can continue our awesome projectile spam. There's nothing worse than having marth get in your face and **** you. so I'm creating this thread to discuss methods of escape/tricks to reverse the pressure.

#1 Z dropping bombs. This is imo the best way to make an escape. we all know that ylink should always have a bomb on hand in every mu anyway.
A-if a char like marth is getting close to you, full jump and z drop a bomb. most likely he'll hit it or try to avoid it either way you get the advantage. if he gets hit go in for an attack or dj and rang him. if he avoids it dj away from him and rang or pull another bomb.
an example-
I'm on DL (where else would i be) and marth gets too close for comfort. I have a bomb in hand and im below and to the right of the leftmost plat on DL. I fj and zdrop the bomb. the marth stops his approach fearing the bomb. I land on the plat and rang. he dodges and jumps toward me. I pull a bomb while fj and dj away also z dropping it. he gets hit and is stuck on the plat. i ff down to the ground level and rang or bomb again. then i get to uair uair etc.
B-zdrop bombs on opponents sheild.
this is so **** that i get hot when i do it. Jump and zdrop a bomb on their sheild if it hits great then combo them if not great the bomb will bounce straight up and you can run away while they have to wait for fear of the bomb. run away and rang. or charge an arrow (does a lot of damage)

#2 wd/run away to bomb throw-this isnt a bad option, but fast chars will catch you, that's why zdrop is the better option.
A-Falcon is spacing nairs way too close to you. you wd back EXTREMELY QUICKLY and sh a bomb throw back at him. a great option here is either to run away more or if youre confidant try to go into a combo with rang or shffled nairs. the main point of this strat is that you must be swift. like real fast. blinding speed.
B-peach floats near you. you wd back bomb to forward smash. works really well on peach and samus. dont bother with fmsah on ffers. dsmash is way better.

#3 platform escapes. when you are on a plat with someone under you.
A-first of all i like this position. get out a bomb and zdrop is and run away or fj and throw it straight down. if they jump into it theyre screwed if not you still get away.
B-if they are on the plat with you. this is tricky. if you have a bomb then refer to the zdrop escape. if not try spotdodge. if they miss a grab or fsmash or aerial then jump off. dont bother trying to fight them up there. Ylink wants to fight on his terms not theirs. if you landed on a plat try to vary your get up attacks with just standing up into spot dodge on sheild.
if all else fails and ur stuck in sheild. NAIR OUT. then get away.
C-fall thru plat into an uair. this is tricky to do but it works for me and can lead to many a combo. after they land on the plat uair again or bomb if you have time. they are now effectively dead.
***** ALSO *****
when camping on dl against sheik or falco use the top platform if they are on on another platform. if they chase you up there, GREAT, fall thru into an upair.

ok thats all i got for now. if you guys want to add stuff just post it and ill add it to the main post also if i think of other stuff ill post it too. Thanks!

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
Press and hold R and tap left or right on the stick IMO

Very nice read sir, I'm sure someone will find that useful.

n0ne

Smash Ace
its better to uair out of shield if oponent is close. if u can do it quickly anyways. and rolling with ylink actually sucks, but if necesary, its better to buffer with cstick instead of joystick tapping

rhan

Smash Hero
Slow rolls are still pretty good. Cuz it's like a unpredictability thing. Though Link actually rolls in his game... and it's pretty **** good.

So Melee is bull****.

rhan

Smash Hero
So in a mass of all night friendlies with a pretty **** good Jiggs player from VA Tech I tested out most of these escape options. And they're all legit.

Rolling though is punished hard if you roll towards the opponent. Especially tech rolling if they read it. YL's tech roll is so bad..

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
So in a mass of all night friendlies with a pretty **** good Jiggs player from VA Tech I tested out most of these escape options. And they're all legit.

Rolling though is punished hard if you roll towards the opponent. Especially tech rolling if they read it. YL's tech roll is so bad..
lol yaaaa....i play a good cfalcon...i get tech *****....

rhan

Smash Hero
If hes not chain grabbing you... just plop against the ground and mindgame a get up.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
sidestep ***** marth and sheik (if shes grabbing at you) Its hard to punish sheik but thats one way. when shes approaching you she'll either dash attack, grab, stop and ftilt or try to bait you into a fair or nair. Sidestep>grab>throw>combo
or sidestep>dsmash>tech chase.
or whatever you want. rang, bomb, arrow even. sometimes its actually not great to jump away. if the sheik is fast enough on his feet he'll come after you quickly. just be wary

Top Bottom