• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Error Code 160-0103

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
Yes, but.
What is the system version on your Wii U?

Do you have the latest version?
You can check in the system settings.
The version number is on the right top corner.
(I have 5.4.0 U)

luna the shadow mew

Smash Rookie
NNID
axewandpikachu
Wait. What system version are you using of the wii u?

The thing that was causing the bug was supposedly fixed by the 5.4 something update. But the update supposedly just prevents the bug from happening, not fixing it.
i have updated every chance i got... probably the newest update... for all my games :]

Wait. What system version are you using of the wii u?

The thing that was causing the bug was supposedly fixed by the 5.4 something update. But the update supposedly just prevents the bug from happening, not fixing it.
yeah 5.4.0

i dont yet have smash im a bit nervous about swapping for it at gamestop...

thank you in advance for helping me ^-^

im gonna go play some mario, check back in later :]

Last edited by a moderator:

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
Alright. After reading your posts, I have another question.

In what game(s) do you get this error code?
The only thing I could catch from your posts is that you cant use the Pikachu amiibo.

But where/what games you can't use the pikachu amiibo?

luna the shadow mew

Smash Rookie
NNID
axewandpikachu
every game exept amiibo tap. pikachu can only be used with ssb4. i havent gotten a error code but i dont want to risk my wii u getting bricked...

and i already bought the full version of the game i got from pikachu

i got a used copy of pokemon rumble blast worth 17.99 on my bday and im wondering if i could exchange it for a used copy of ssb4, but i dont want my system bricked so i did research, and i found it was happening at random but not completely, as many have gotten it after playing For Glory, or online in general.

i can use it in mario party 10 but only for the amiibo bonus.

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
Well, thats strange. Perhaps its on the software side of the game then.

But the update that supposedly fixed the error has been out for a while, and no one has reported them getting this error.

And the amiibos is being widely used for smash. so I suppose you should be safe.

Unless yhe wii u you got is faulty or something.

Perhaps the save data on the amiibo is corrupt or something.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
So, I got this error code yesterday and now I unable to play Smash Bros for the Wii U, in any mode.
The story goes:
I was playing For Glory mode yesterday morning then I was in a mode with a horrible amount of lag (I'm talking 2fps here) So, I did the unthinkable and quit the match. I tried to enter another match and it says "wait 10 minutes", so I got offline and started playing challenge mode. I turn the game off for about 6 hours.
I turn the game on, I go through all the menus fine. I start a local Multiplayer match make to screen selection and BAM! I'm hit with this error code it say there is a problem with the system memory.
So, I try some other games and they work fine. Then I try deleting my Smash Bros.'s data. The save data and Shared data are erased easily, but with I try deleting the Update Data I get a similar error about system memory.
This location in my Wii U memory has problem reading the update data. So I know that the next option is to either format my Wii U or send it in for repairs neither is an optimal solution.
Are there any fixes that you guys may know?
Haven't got a Wii U yet
Afraid to play the game
DO NOT FORMAT YOUR CONSOLE

Holy crap, I did that now I can't play anything. Everything that you wrote about has happened to me but I actually TRIED to format. Now, I'm stuck at the "erasing all saved data" screen and my wii u gamepad is stuck in that white screen that tells you how to connect your wii u to your tv in English, French, Spanish, and Italian.

As for the cure, I have none. Godspeed brother, hopefully you don't have to send your console back.
OKAY then, should I be scared? D:

luna the shadow mew

Smash Rookie
NNID
axewandpikachu
what

But the update that supposedly fixed the error has been out for a while, and no one has reported them getting this error.

And the amiibos is being widely used for smash. so I suppose you should be safe.

Unless yhe wii u you got is faulty or something.

Perhaps the save data on the amiibo is corrupt or something.

what i meant is the amiibo is made only for smash. i cant use it for games because its not compatible with them. sorry for the confusion.
sorry it didnt load. i said what i meant was its not compatible for other games just smash if you want the full experience. sorry for the confusion

i can use it but it says i can only use it to use the scratch tickets on mario party 10.
on amiibo tap i got a mario game.
i dont have any other amiibo-compatible games :]

i can use it but it says i can only use it to use the scratch tickets on mario party 10.
on amiibo tap i got a mario game.
i dont have any other amiibo-compatible games :]
also what is project m anyway i started playing ssb with brawl :D

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
Well, if you can use the amiibo on smash, then there should be nothing to fear then. Many people use the amiibos for smash and I haven't heard anyone gotten this error code when using one.

also what is project m anyway i started playing ssb with brawl :D
Project M is a modded version of Brawl, which removes the bad aspects of it (random tripping, slower gameplay, character balance issues, glitches) and adds more to it: 2 new characters, new stages to play on (Saffron city from the 64 game is on) and new music/appearance.

Last edited:

luna the shadow mew

Smash Rookie
NNID
axewandpikachu
Warning Received
i just want to know if i have other games that have had this error and never gotten it before, will i ever get it? i dont have ssb4. yet. i am probably gonna get a gift card so i see if i can buy it.

thanks for your help. i wish you an error-free, happy, Cookiefilled life.
may you win tounaments.

p.s. if i do get this error i know a shop that fixes wii us. if that doesn't work i'll call nintendo up and see if i can salvage my wii u's data and saves.
i hope you never ever get this error. have a good summer! :3

im not scared of using a amiibo i am wondering if this error is common or not
if this helps heres my wii u info

i have a black 36gb super mario 3D world bundle.
i have no sd card.
my internet is on so i update everything. wii u and games.
i have my nintendo network set up.
i moved it recently from the living room to my bedroom.
i have 3 profiles currently on my wii u.
i have never gotten errors about my system. i have only gotten one error i think and that was about my disc for just dance 2015 being dirty.
i only have one amiibo. that one is set up already (a pikachu amiibo named 'thorachu')

thats it i think.

im not scared of using a amiibo i am wondering if this error is common or not
if this helps heres my wii u info

i have a black 36gb super mario 3D world bundle.
i have no sd card.
my internet is on so i update everything. wii u and games.
i have my nintendo network set up.
i moved it recently from the living room to my bedroom.
i have 3 profiles currently on my wii u.
i have never gotten errors about my system. i have only gotten one error i think and that was about my disc for just dance 2015 being dirty.
i only have one amiibo. that one is set up already (a pikachu amiibo named 'thorachu')

thats it i think.
is that the right one? it may be 24 LOL

is that the right one? it may be 24 LOL
that would be about my gigabytes

also do you just download project m to the wii or do you need a flash drive and does it use adfly or something similar? ive had bad experiences with adfly (it messed up my custom made computer :[)

luna the shadow mew

Smash Rookie
NNID
axewandpikachu
i need to know one thing: if i have games that have been reported to have this same error, but i have never received it, will i be more likely to get it when i play smash? please respond as i really want it but if my wii u gets bricked... i dont know....

EDIT: i need a answer, please. my bday party is tomorrow and i will be playing smash if i get it. im getting a giftcard so i will see if i have enough to buy smash. answer please... spare my wii u...

ps: how do you put in your signature? i put in one and it wont appear...

Last edited:

Spud of Doom

Smash Rookie

Chiming in to say that I'm on 5.4.0E and I've lost my SSB data (and the entire WiiU external drive) twice to this error in the last week.

luna the shadow mew

Smash Rookie
NNID
axewandpikachu
i got 50 bucks so im buying it. if i get the error... well nothing to do right? theres a shop that fixes electronics so perhaps i can salvage it... well wish me luck!

ps i dont have it yet ill have it by next month.

Deku-Scrub

Smash Rookie
NNID
DrRek
Hey Guys, OP here. (Sorry about the inactivity).
So, here is what I know about the error. It is a system memory error, so when a game tries to save in an area that is corrupted in the Wii U memory, this error will occur. I believe this will lead to further corruption, for some it makes games completely unplayable.
However, there is a solution that Nintendo was providing earlier in the year when this error was more common.
First they released a fix to make sure the error is less likely to happen to Wii U systems.
But if you are one of the VERY FEW unlucky ones. You can call Nintendo Support, they will send you a shipping label so you can ship the console and the game affected to them for a free repair. It doesn't matter if the system is out of warranty or not. They will fix it free of charge. If they can not repair the system they offered me a free replacement console, and they will try to salvage as much save data as they can.
This will not be available to anyone who has modded their console in anyway.
So, If you have an issue, call the Nintendo Support Team and they will walk you through it. Don't worry this issue is pretty rare after the update.

Last edited:

JustOneGamer

Smash Rookie
PROBLEM FIXED!!!

Hello everyone, here's my story about this error code (160-0103)

First: this is not a supposition, this is the action i took on this problem and helped me 100%

Second: for those who are expecting Nintendo to fix this issue by an update or patch, its in vain, please read this whole thing and I really hope you can get rid of your problem and keep using you Wii as it should be:

I got this error randomly on Nov 30th, the first thing I did I went to all the forums I know to see if the problem could be fix at home after that I called Nintendo with no luck and obviously I could delete the system update from smash saved file in data management, so I ended up with the hope that maybe Nintendo could release a patch and/or update so I waited for 1 week, finally while i was having lunch with my wife (both frustrated for not being able to play smash anymore) and thinking how to fix the problem, I just decided to call Nintendo and have a second conversation with a tech, this guy was nice (and here;s the key, you need to be patience, I called once as mentioned before and the guy just told me that I have to pay 100 dollars for the repair since my console was out of warranty, and I declined, if you don't like your first option just hang up and call again, try to find someone that is really willing to help, that's the way I do this kind of thinkg with any company (Walmart, Gamestop, amazon, etc),

so this second time i tried to be specific and have them realized that is not only me, i just explained him about the error code and the fact that my wii u was only affected by that update, so he explained me that for the troubleshooting performed THIS IS A HARDWARE ISSUE and they need to check the console to either replace the part or in the worst case scenario to send me back a replacement. at this point my only worry was my saved data, i ask him to take good care of that since there's too many hours spent on my games and i took care about my progress, OBVIOUSLY HE ONLY TOLD ME THAT THEY HAVE TO TAKE A LOOK BUT HE COULDN'T ASSURE ME THAT MY DATA COULD BE SAVE AT THIS POINT,

now let me tell you, that day I ended up sad after drop off my console at a UPS office, 'cause I knew I had to play and get all my progress in Mario World, Hyrule Warriors, all the 150 trophies I already had in Smash all the events once again, but i accepted the fact that is a hardware issue pretty much caused by turning off your Wii console without closing the software, and lets be specific: if the Wii U has an option called "CLOSE SOFTWARE" It's because you have to be gentle with the data and have the console shutdown all before turn it off, make sense? right?

OK so lets ended up this by saying that they opened me a Service Order #, they sent me a prepaid shipping label to send it via UPS 2 day super fast shipping, I waited exactly 7 days to received my Wii U back, and HERE'S THE GOOD THING: they ended up sending a new replacement and they did the job of transfer everything to the new console as i told this guy on the phone including Smash Bros, the only thing i had to do is to re download the digital games I had like Wind Waker and Wii U Party attached to mi Nintendo ID (already setup on the new Wii), all the DLCs were successfully transferred, and since this is a new console IS WORKING JUST PERFECT!!! no problems at all. and everything at NO COST (0)!! COVERED 100% BY NINTENDO INCLUDING SHIPPING

I tried to cover all i did and hope help everyone to take action and have their Wii Repaired/Replaced, but if you have a question let me know.

Nintendo has the way to save everything when they know the problem comes from their end, I know every case is different but if you are referring here about Smash update and data corruption, they will take good care of your saved data, remember better be safe that sorry, before send the console to Nintendo connect a USB to your Nintendo and make a backup, just to be safe.

any questions let me know.

Regards
The Contest Kid
IT Professional
I did the same thing exactly a year before this post and everything went fine like your story. But the second time I sent my wii u in(this year) I lost literally everything I had on the system. So sometimes will help you, and others they try to help you but rid everything you have in the process. I blame the hardware considering this only(of what I've heard) only happens on the deluxe black wii u set. A deluxe system shouldn't be more likely of these issues than the inferior one.

Top Bottom