• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Error code 018-0516, I'm the only one?

SmellTheJava

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0834-0767-5817
The netcode has been pretty good so far, but that error it's getting pretty annoying. Anyone had luck getting rid of whatever is causing it?

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
The netcode has been pretty good so far, but that error it's getting pretty annoying. Anyone had luck getting rid of whatever is causing it?
I think it pops up when you connect to someone who disconnects during the joining process. Might be wrong though. It's kind of random when it happens.

SmellTheJava

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0834-0767-5817
I think it pops up when you connect to someone who disconnects during the joining process. Might be wrong though. It's kind of random when it happens.
I don't think it happends only when someone disconnects as we join, I tried to play with a friend and it happend every single time. I haven't had as much problems in the last hour of play in for glory, like two/three, the first time I tried to play I got like 10 in a row. Hope it fixes itself.

Pretty decent netcode though, I'm enjoying myself a lot.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
I'm getting the exact same Error Code. I thought it was my apt. complex's sh*tty wi-fi at first but my 3DS connects to the internet just fine; it's when I try to play online that I get this error.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I got it a couple times yesterday night. It was quite annoying if you ask me.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
Has to be on their end, I get it once and a while and I'm doubting everyone has router issues. Just an odd error they need to fix

Rylos

Smash Rookie
Has to be on their end, I get it once and a while and I'm doubting everyone has router issues. Just an odd error they need to fix
Yeah it has to be on Nintendo's end because I get it occasionally and so do a couple of my friends.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Its a Nintendo thing. That error is pretty common among any nintendo game online. Really nothing you can do about it until nintendo fixes their servers.

FearTheTree

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-6153-4921
This happens to me probably 7 out of every 8 times I try to play online. I'll try to mess with the DMZ and see if it works.

RaticateFan

Smash Rookie
I was getting this all day Saturday whenever trying to play online. Then on Sunday it wouldn't even let me get that far with an 001-0502 error, which is making me pull my hair out.

SmellTheJava

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0834-0767-5817
I was getting this all day Saturday whenever trying to play online. Then on Sunday it wouldn't even let me get that far with an 001-0502 error, which is making me pull my hair out.
I was exactly in the same position on saturday, I did exactly what it says in the link I posted above and it worked for the most part. Now instead of getting the error 9 out of 10 matches I have only gotten it twice in more than 15 games.

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
I originally got it for everything, however now I only get it when trying For Glory/Fun. I can fight my friends online with no problems.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
It comes up whenever I try to play online. I haven't had an online match at all because of this stupid error.

money1246

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2852-8453-6270
I tried everything as well but it wont work. I'm in college and I haven't been able to complete an online match once.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
It's the way Nintendo coded their online matchmaking. It sucks, basically. You're connecting to anyone in the world (super dumb on Nintendo's part- should be regional like every other matchmaking game in the past half decade). and a lot of things can happen in the connecting process that can cause problems. Nintendo also doesn't really know what they're doing when they implement online matchmaking like this.

They did Mario Kart 8 alright and understood the need for regional online play, but there are still a huge amount of things wrong with Mario Kart 8's online implementation. Smash 4 has it even worse, with not even regional play.

We're also limited to wifi, which many modems and routers simply make not great for online gaming in these kinds of games with crummy netcode.

As per the norm for online games with archaic connectivity systems, you need some ports open, you need to be in DMZ, you need to do this, you need to do that. Reminds me of when I played online games years ago over wifi.

Online gaming has come a long way, but Nintendo has not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom