• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Enhancing Mega's Grab Game?

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I feel like I am starting to get a lot better with mega man, and the better players that I face keep on getting me by power shielding my projectiles and then coming in for the grabs.

What is the best way to approach to get grabs? I mean obviously we don't want to just run in. Or we don't want to stop spamming pellets to go in. Should I go in with leaf shield? fake that i'm going in for lemons then grab. I always feel when I go in for a grab the opponent knows what I am doing and just jabs or smashes me.

MegaBlaster1234

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Srib64
I feel like I am starting to get a lot better with mega man, and the better players that I face keep on getting me by power shielding my projectiles and then coming in for the grabs.

What is the best way to approach to get grabs? I mean obviously we don't want to just run in. Or we don't want to stop spamming pellets to go in. Should I go in with leaf shield? fake that i'm going in for lemons then grab. I always feel when I go in for a grab the opponent knows what I am doing and just jabs or smashes me.
Only go in for grabs when the punish is assured. MegaMan isn't that fast, and most people already know that MegaMan gets most of his damage from grab followups and zoning. If they're powershielding and dodging, keep up the pressure. There's only so much they can dodge before they make a mistake.

People are getting smarter and rolling away when they get hit by Metal Blade now.

Regarding Leaf Shield, it's pretty much used best as a mix-up and pressure tool whenever you can catch them when they're vulnerable.
Firing up Leaf Shield while edgeguarding covers everything. They can't ledge roll, ledge attack, regular get up and drop down aerial back to the stage without running the risk of getting clipped and messing up. Catching a roll get up with Leaf Shield can lead to an easy 20%.

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
It seems that I do keep the pressure on but if I throw one metal blade when they are too close they always seem to grab me as well.

MegaBlaster1234

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Srib64
It seems that I do keep the pressure on but if I throw one metal blade when they are too close they always seem to grab me as well.
Metal Blade is very unsafe at dash grab distance. You want to shoot Metal Blades at mid/long range to force them to react and either shield, jump or spotdodge. Shooting too close is just asking to get punished due to the endlag after shooting.

I suggest playing Captain Falcon, Fox, Sonic and Mario to get used to the range where zoning is risk-free and when you should rush in for grabs.

SimplyChrono

Smash Cadet
NNID
SimplyChrono
3DS FC
0147-1307-4927
I sometimes aproach with spaced fairs or nairs so my oponnent gets conditioned to shielding, then when i see that they're shielding i go for a tomahawk grab instead, it's kinda unsafe but it can work.

Last edited:

raizur

Smash Cadet
NNID
raizur
3DS FC
4425-1652-3596
Sorry that I'm not providing any information in regards to the topic at hand, but I'm on the hunt for a kind enough mega man main out there to help me with mine and maybe train me. I feel like my mega man is just average, however I want it to be above average. Can someone help?

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Sorry that I'm not providing any information in regards to the topic at hand, but I'm on the hunt for a kind enough mega man main out there to help me with mine and maybe train me. I feel like my mega man is just average, however I want it to be above average. Can someone help?
What do you need help with, specifically? As a Mega Man player, I can help you to the best of my ability. :)
Here's what I do:
Metal Blade: Mid-range, as the Metal Blade doesn't go the complete length of the screen and shooting it up close, unless you throw it, which increases the speed of the Metal Blade, that's asking for a punish.
Crash Bomber: Far-range and a good shield pressure. If your opponent shields the Crash Bomber, follow up with forward tilts or a Side Smash if you can pull it off.
Leaf Shield: The Leaf Shield can enhance Mega Man's grab game. Since Mega Man's pummel is so slow, grabbing with the Leaf Shield can add pummel damage without actually pummeling, allowing throw lead ins.

raizur

Smash Cadet
NNID
raizur
3DS FC
4425-1652-3596
What do you need help with, specifically? As a Mega Man player, I can help you to the best of my ability. :)
Not really anything specific, just in general. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you possibly add me on Wii U so that we can have a few matches, then there you can tell me how I can improve and what are things I'm doing right/ wrong. Thank you for the reply!

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Not really anything specific, just in general. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you possibly add me on Wii U so that we can have a few matches, then there you can tell me how I can improve and what are things I'm doing right/ wrong. Thank you for the reply!
I don't have my Wii U at the moment, but I'll add you as a friend just so I can remember. ;)

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
I find that Shadow Blade is a fantastic choice if you're focusing on grabs. Either on hit or on shield it's basically a free throw.

Xavix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xavix5
I find that Shadow Blade is a fantastic choice if you're focusing on grabs. Either on hit or on shield it's basically a free throw.
It's a bit on the laggy side to my expierence, but landing one at close range pretty much guarantees a grab.

Top Bottom