• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Eminent Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
I wouldn't be surprised if most of you haven't heard of this particularly nasty clause in the laws of numerous places, as most governments don't like it to get a lot of press.

Eminent Domain, simply put, is the ability of the state to seize private land for public or government use. Make sure you're sitting down: This gets worse. But the good news is that the US (as well as most other countries wherein the law is in effect) at least makes this a bit less harsh than it sounds initially:

The Very Last Bit of the US Bill of Rights' Fifth Amendment said:
nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
So it's a forced sale rather than just taking it. The reasoning behind this law is obvious: For the good of the public, the government must sometimes build something, be it a road, a park, or some other useful thing that will overall improve the lives of the people. Sometimes someone's house just happens to be in the way, so ostensibly, now the government can take it from them for market price and go on with the project they were previously working on, thus aiding the greater good. Of course, there are those who would disagree that this should be within the governement's power, but for those against it, it gets worse:

The very recent (2005) supreme court decision of Kelo v. City of New London ruled, effectively, that the power of eminent domain could be used to transfer land from one private owner to another (usually a corporation) for the alleged benefit of the state. The exact case was that a pharmaceutical company was given seized land that had previously contained numerous private residential and commercial lots, the information is available wherever supreme court decisions can be found. This sets, in my opinion, a rather terrifying legal precedent. What was once another legally-shady facet of the governmental tendency to pander to the interests of corporations is now fully legalized and can be done summarily and outright. Essentially, local competitors to corporations can be eliminated on a whim, people can be forced out of their homes to build malls, and corporations are being given preferential treatment and given prime real estate by city, state, and federal governmental bodies. Wikipedia has a running list of significant examples of this practice that have been facilitated by the Kelo decision. But I suppose it could be argued (as it was in the supreme court case) that when moves such as this in some way benefit the economy of whatever jurisdiction the governmental body involved controls, it can still be considered "public use."

So how far should Eminent Domain go? Should the Kelo decision stand? Should the government be allowed to thusly pander to the interests of corporations? Even without this seemingly obvious abuse, is there any real necessity for such laws even in situations where the property would actually be used for public purposes? Should people just quit complaining and take the money?

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
This is a touchy issue that I think about frequently. I can see how eminent domain could be justified in certain situations. For instance, New Orleans. It goes without saying that New Orleans is facing economical issues and several original residents have yet to return or will not return at all. Since the state can't rely on residents returning and fixing their homes they could use eminent domain to get rid of them and build roads or businesses to stabalize economic deficiets.

But I truly believe eminent domain should be more heavilly a situational power, such as in the situation of reconstruction after a natural disaster. Otherwise, I don't agree with the ability for them to force a sale of a home or small business in favor of a larger, private business.

I may be willing to agree with public use as far as roads or schools go but I completely disagree with eminent domain in favor of a private business UNLESS a natural disaster or other catostrophic event occured and economic stability is critical.

I simply don't believe that the government can put a "fair" price on something that an individual owns. They can make a simple estimation, give you that amount, and tell you to leave. Provided they give you a low estimate, you may face great finacial problems and difficulty finding a new home. Also, it isn't fair to force someone to give up their property if they don't want to, ESPECIALLY when the property seized is given to another individual that is financially superior.

Emient domain gives big businesses special favor over small businesses which doesn't seem fair. In fact, I believe there is a law somewhere that the government can NOT interfere with free enterprise which would mean eminent domain being used in favor of large businesses would be unconstitutional but I'm not sure so I'll have to look that up.

This is just my say for now... I'll add more points later when I do some more research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom