• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elwind Spammers?

Skides

Smash Rookie
NNID
Skides
3DS FC
1289-8354-1948
Is it just me, or do several Robin players use Elwind WAY too much? Literally every time they are in the air and above me they feel the need to use Elwind. Robin is one of my mains myself and I ONLY use it to spike people off screen or recover (and as one of his jab combos). I purposely never use Elwind when I'm above someone and they are standing on the ground because its not a good option at all. Anyone else notice this?

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
If the opponent is being predictable with his landsharking, Elwind might not be a bad option. The wind cutters are fast, they deal solid damage, and it gives Robin time to get to the floor before they can recover from the hitstun, land, and get back to you.

It's a nice surprise option, but it's one of those "Only works once" kinda moves.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
In all fairness, Elwind can get surprise damage on unsuspecting foes, but overuse is something that cripples Robin due to being forced to stand ground.

I haven't seen this, personally.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
admittedly, I used to do this a bit more than I should have done... It works sometimes when the opponent is edgeguarding, or as a surprise attack, but yeah, not the best idea ever.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
I'm confused by threads like these - is it an annoying but ineffective strategy, or are you arguing that its annoying and effective? Because there's no way it can be effective. So if it's happening often, they should simply be easy unfrustrating wins. I'm not sure what we could say.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I actually use this quite a lot.

Robin is very vulnerable to juggling, because Dair is buns at actually attacking people below you.

Waiting until they commit to an option and then pegging them with Elwind is very often safer than simply trying to just float away and land. Against characters with fast ground speed, if you try to just float away they're just going to chase you down and grab you.

If you actually land the Elwind, the second slash launches them in the opposite direction Robin was facing, leaving you safely recovering toward the center of the stage while they've been sent to the ledge.

http://youtu.be/uKyuuogq3Pk?t=7m48s

As an example of what I mean.

Xerox the beautiful

Smash Rookie
I use it a bit more than I should it's one of the bad habits I'm trying to shake but it's honestly not a bad option if you can actually hit with it .Robin's options when above someone are awful and usually hitting it at least gives you the chance to return to the ground. If it's not done super predictably it can be a decent if somewhat risky tool spaming it mindlessly though is a good way to get punished hard.

Soma X

Smash Rookie

Robin is very vulnerable to juggling, because Dair is buns at actually attacking people below you.

Waiting until they commit to an option and then pegging them with Elwind is very often safer than simply trying to just float away and land. Against characters with fast ground speed, if you try to just float away they're just going to chase you down and grab you.

If you actually land the Elwind, the second slash launches them in the opposite direction Robin was facing, leaving you safely recovering toward the center of the stage while they've been sent to the ledge.

This, Elwind is a good way to get your opponent from underneath you so you can land safely with the only downside being if you miss you can be punished greatly for it

N7Kopper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
N7Kopper
3DS FC
2895-9534-7967
The usefulness of Elwind outside of recovery is even more reason to use the Fire jab finisher as opposed to the Wind-based one. Even if the Wind jab were reliable (sakurai plz buff jab, lower minimum duration) - it uses your Wind MP which is your recovery and anti-juggle, as opposed to Fire MP. As useful as Arcfire is, Wind mana isn't something you can afford to run dry on, especially at higher percents.

Mac2492

Smash Apprentice
You can afford to run Wind Tome dry because it regens in about 7 seconds. As long as you know when the tome is disappearing you'll probably be fine. It's also better to run it out with a Jab than half an Elwind. OTL

Hong

The Strongest
The only time I've seen people die from an exhausted wind tome is when they are deliberately ledge stalling with it. Robin floats SO HIGH when hit in this game that it's very hard to imagine ever dying because you don't have your wind tome otherwise.

N7Kopper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
N7Kopper
3DS FC
2895-9534-7967
You can afford to run Wind Tome dry because it regens in about 7 seconds. As long as you know when the tome is disappearing you'll probably be fine. It's also better to run it out with a Jab than half an Elwind. OTL
Running it out with half an Elwind from grounded is usually better than jabbing, unless you hit the opponent with the jabs.
But sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, and seven seconds is seven seconds of opportunity for the foe, and stalling doesn't always work.

Mac2492

Smash Apprentice
Indeed, running out of Elwind creates 7 seconds of opportunity for the opponent. Despite that we can't ignore the opportunities those 18 Elwind tome uses created. If spamming Elwind netted a kill or shifted momentum in my favor then the 7 seconds of vulnerability are probably worth it. No one is suggesting that it's a good idea to waste Elwind charges.

I disagree with running Wind tome out using Elwind instead of Wind jab, assuming a blinking tome. A single Wind tome charge is the only case you might after for the grounded Elwind, and that's not really something you can count on unless you've literally counted. If you happen to have two or more charges then Elwind will launch you way too high while putting you into recovery, meaning you'll probably be punished even if the opponent is across the map. With a jab you can control the length. Note that I do not do either of these because I usually die before I run out of Wind charges.

Last edited:

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman

http://youtu.be/uKyuuogq3Pk?t=7m48s

Agree. This is exactly how I use it. When an opponent starts to get predictable I use it as a rare mixup to mess up their pressure/placing on the map/get an extra 10% damage. Robin's dair, as previously said, is pretty unsafe at protecting you from enemies' uair, so this explains why it's a safer option when your opponent is still suffering from start up/cool down of a move.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I've met a couple of Farore's Wind spammers, but no Elwind spammers. I hardly ever see Robin users other than me in For Glory matches.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
When I notice a Robin player is doing that I'll just bait them into doing it again, avoid it and get ready to punish them either while they land or as soon as they land.

I'll admit I'll use Elwind as a downward protection option as well but only when I notice that my opponent is either charging up for an USmash or if I see them jump up to try to hit me with an air attack. and If I for whatever reason miss then I have a back up plan because I find it to be safe to land as long as you land at the edge where you'll grab onto it but obviously you can't be doing that too often because there's still the possibility that someone is going to be able to punish you bebefore you even get the chance to grab the ledge.

Top Bottom