• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
They should also play Wir Fliegen in full instead of a minute of it. Or play the later parts of it after reaching a higher number on the counter.

And have a remix of the song that's sung by an actual German speaker

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
That is personally why I want XCX to be ported, I want them to have improved on making their user interface more user friendly. If they fix most of the issues with the game its be amazing and will get more people open to XCX2.
For TMS I'm trying to figure out how they would make the phone system work. I think that game could be left on the Wii U, even though I enjoyed it.
Have a pop up for the urgent messages, and assign it to a button to look at at any time.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So, I just had a random thought that doesn't relate exclusively to Elma: With Joker already confirmed, a Square Enix character being rumored, all our things pointing towards Elma's inclusion, and the whole thing about the 15 WoL dummy files. Maybe the current Fighter's Pass is eventually going to be rebranded as a "RPG Pass", with all of its characters being from RPGs, and hypothetical later Fighter Passes are going to have a different "theme"? Because if Elma and SE character really are happening, the Fighter's Pass would already heavily lean towards RPG characters. Maybe they could also throw in a Golden Sun character.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I love the theme idea (especially if we get Anna [Fire Emblem] or 2B out of it or something). It seems plausible. It'll be controversial, but forget the haters.

And on the subject of themed passes, here's hoping for a Super Bash Sister-esque pack, if the RPG theme somehow manages to exclude viable gal candidates.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I love the theme idea (especially if we get Anna [Fire Emblem] or 2B out of it or something). It seems plausible. It'll be controversial, but forget the haters.

And on the subject of themed passes, here's hoping for a Super Bash Sister-esque pack, if the RPG theme somehow manages to exclude viable gal candidates.
A pass consisting of Joker, Elma, Anna, 2B, and a DQ rep? As in a pack containing my most-wanted FE rep, my two pipe dream most-wanteds, a rep from a legendary game series, and our girl? What's not to love?

I'm really trying not to be greedy or tempt fate by wishing for 2B but...I want her so badly. Even if I got my most-wanted pipe dream already.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What about a new area being added to an X port? What would you like to see?

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
If we have any new zone, I'd want something more lore base. Maybe a underground region which could explain some of the unanswered questions on Mira?
In another news I'm gonna compile all the info/evidence for an xcx port. Itll be done around Sunday, if I miss anything feel free to let me know.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
An underground region that connects the existing regions would be really interesting. I'd also like to see the main body of the White Whale as a region; it's easily as big as a continent and I can imagine it being like an artifical reef with tons of wildlife moving in.

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
I had a crazy idea. I dont know how well it'd work, but what if monolith made xcx kind of like an MMO? You buy the base game, then they make a season pass that has a new landmass added to Mira each year or so while improving the other land masses. If they continue the games life and itll come to the next console, people who bought it on the switch could get it for free?

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I don't know if XCX as is would work great for an MMO but the setting is definitely perfect for it. I'd want to be able to play as the other alien races.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Hey, does anyone happen to have links to Caitlin Glass' tweets on having an NDA role and having auditioned for a character that included someone she voiced before as reference? I'm redoing my images that compile all the points in Elma's favour, and I kinda need those.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Not gonna lie, I'm still very miffed about the way Xenoblade X was treated in Ultimate. Like, really? Absolutely no music? Games like Snipperclips, Code Name Steam, and Nintendogs got new remixes, and stuff like Fossil Fighters has more music than X? What's up with that? Did Sakurai really just despise X that much that he didn't want to acknowledge it at all? Even the spirits make no reference to the base game, just the Xenoblade series. I remember someone saying something similar to that, but I don't remember the context too well.

If there isn't anything coming, either Elma or some other Xeno rep, I don't know what to make of it. The game reviewed well and had decent success for a Wii U game. What else could we ask for? To me, this whole situation is baffling. Even Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash, the undisputed worst Mario Tennis game, has music.

Also, Calamitas Calamitas here are those tweets!
https://mobile.twitter.com/caitlinsvoice/status/1060635320671260679

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I've yet to play Xenoblade X due to not owning a Wii U but I'd still love to see Elma make it. She left a nice first impression on me through her appearance in XC2 and I think she's the next best choice for another Xeno rep, seeing as how Rex couldn't make it.

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
Apologies for the late response, RWI. Anyway, my evidence isn't going to be as flashy as Calamitis, but it'll have links and sources that'll give evidence for an XCX port. If I miss anything feel free to add in the future.
  1. Inclusion in XC2- Elma was one of the most important guest characters in XC2, with all of her tour of Alrest interactions and voice lines giving people an understanding of the world of XCX. Talking about the different regions and some of her allies to give us some knowledge into what we should expect. Not only that, but Elma's addition feels last minute, with no voice-over lines in both the English version and the Japanese. In addition, what if the NDA role C Glass had talked about was for additional content in an XCX port, they had all the major voice actors in the studio for Smash and other events (Mercer (Lao) for Chrom and Cassandra (Lin) for Morgana and Sothis(?)) What's not to say they needed her to finish the final recordings for smash bros and an XCX port?
  2. Spoilers, Spoilers everywhere (Don't click on this link if you don't want to be spoiled on Xenoblade Chronicles)
    Both Smash bros and XC2 are very spoiler heavy for XC1, starting with XC2 we find out that A.) The Monado was made by a God and B.) Fiora becomes a robot. As for XCX we just learn about basic stuff, like the planet, a few characters, and the White Whale, no mention of Cross, L, or the Prone. For Smash spoiled content for XC, we learn that Mumkar becomes metal face and Fiora becomes a machine, for XCX, we learn nothing really spoiler/ruining the storyline.
  3. Lack of XCX Content in Smash- this is my biggest issue with evidence against a port, people can say that Nintendo wants to forget about this game because it didn't sell well, but compared to Fatal Frame 5 and Codename STEAM, which actually didn't sell well and got more content (FF5 getting an Assist Trophy and Codename STEAM getting music), they probably couldn't explain that point. If they threw in some music like Primordia's theme I would have believed that there wouldn't be any XCX content. Since we still don't know about Sawano's secret project, it's safe to say that it's smash bros music that could be added in the future.
Now for the Elephant in the room​
Tetsuya Takahashi's explanation to why an XCX Port isn't coming and why it's unclear. While it sounds uncertain, another company (Radical Fish) Posted the same thing. And we all know how that big old elephant turned out. I actually wanted to read both messages and see how similar both Takahashi's and Radical Fishes messages were, they both read pretty similarly with a few changed words. Both groups want their games on the Switch, however, due to technical issues and having to rework some elements of the game, it's unlikely it'll get ported. (The only thing Takahashi's post is missing is a funny joke about Bunnit's flying.)
Overall likelihood?​
My major estimate on XCX porting is between 60-75% chance it'll happen. My ideal timeline for XCX and it's future would be an XCX port announced at E3 this year, since Nintendo likes to keep their high profile games until that day, with a release date for it in either late Q1 or sometime Q2 next year.

In conclusion​
Honestly, as of right now, I think we should have some fun and try to "answer" some of the many cliffhangers that XCX has ended on. Beating ourselves up over missing content won't help our sanities, lets all just stay cautiously optimistic for the port.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So I take it that no one has anything to add to/correct on that list of arguments? Because if so, then I'll think I also make a Twitter thread with them, and maybe send it to one of those YTers that make videos on that sorta thing.

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
So I take it that no one has anything to add to/correct on that list of arguments? Because if so, then I'll think I also make a Twitter thread with them, and maybe send it to one of those YTers that make videos on that sorta thing.
One last thing I need to add, on America Crosscode was announced as a single video. However, in Europe, It was revealed in a Nindies that came out in January Skip to 11:21 for the game. This alongside Hollow Knight being revealed in the E3 direct shows that Nintendo does enjoy releasing games on their schedule.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
One last thing I need to add, on America Crosscode was announced as a single video. However, in Europe, It was revealed in a Nindies that came out in January Skip to 11:21 for the game. This alongside Hollow Knight being revealed in the E3 direct shows that Nintendo does enjoy releasing games on their schedule.
Uh, okay, but that sounds more like something on an X port. What I was talking about was the stuff specifically pointing towards Elma in Ultimate.

Alright, apology for the double post, but I gotta bump this thread somehow, since I made a Twitter thread with those images now. In case anyone wants to help spreading this around. . .

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Have not been in for a while. How are you guys? Still playing Smash? Still confident about Elma in Smash?

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but... This might have been her NDA role. In Borderlands the pre-sequel (made by Gearbox) she voiced a character named Brittania. I don't know if she will appear in Borderlands 3 she might be voicing a different character, but if she returns then it's possible that this could have been the role.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but... This might have been her NDA role. In Borderlands the pre-sequel (made by Gearbox) she voiced a character named Brittania. I don't know if she will appear in Borderlands 3 she might be voicing a different character, but if she returns then it's possible that this could have been the role.
regrettably, it does make sense with "when you're called in for an audition and a character you voice is the reference..."

but...now that I think about it, if Brittania returns, why make the "reference" comment? And wouldn't even hinting at it with the photo break NDA?

idk what to think about this anymore

Last edited:

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
regrettably, it does make sense with "when you're called in for an audition and a character you voice is the reference..."

but...now that I think about it, if Brittania returns, why make the "reference" comment? And wouldn't even hinting at it with the photo break NDA?

idk what to think about this anymore
I wonder how long the recording session for Elma's time in XC2 was for? They could of recorded more content for other games, maybe record more lines on a XCX port/smash bros lines?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Eh, let's stay skeptical for the time being. Like Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura said, to me, this kinda looks like something that'd break NDA to me. It's best if we just wait instead of jumping to conclusions.

Edit:
Unrelated to the main point of this post, but Billybo10k pretty much confirmed that he'd make a video based on the list of arguments. I'd make this as a new post, but, well, double post.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Alright, I already got a warning for double posting earlier this week, but since no one responded since my last post, and I gotta bump this thread somehow. . . I'm just gonna risk it.
Here's a video on the images I made! Turns out, our arguments are rather convincing, after all.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Alright, I already got a warning for double posting earlier this week, but since no one responded since my last post, and I gotta bump this thread somehow. . . I'm just gonna risk it.
Here's a video on the images I made! Turns out, our arguments are rather convincing, after all.

ELMA GANG RISING UP

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400

I just watched the video about 1 hour ago and man does it get my hopes up.

Maybe, just maybe Elma is more possible than i thought...seriously if Elma and Banjo are going to be DLC im gonna scream.
I just want them so badly.

and i really need to be more active here, sorry guys :(

Selenite

Smash Cadet
Both Smash bros and XC2 are very spoiler heavy for XC1...As for XCX we just learn about basic stuff, like the planet, a few characters, and the White Whale, no mention of Cross, L, or the Prone.
Characters like Lin, Tatsu, Doug, Lao, L, Commander Vandham, Skells, etc are referenced in Xenoblade 2.

Prone appears as hologram forms Team Rex assumes from Elma's view but not their voices as Elma noticed and she later explained her relationship with the Prone.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Dang, that thread was already pretty convincing, but that video, while admittedly just reading through it, convinced me even more. I saw an argument in the comments that X's music had copyright issues and that's why it wasnt in Smash, but that's obviously not true considering they got it in Xenoblade 2, even if it was just Uncontrollable.

Other than that, people's only arguments were "spirits deconfirm" which was literally addressed in the first part. I mean, come on. If that's the only argument against her, then we're in good shape. Great job to Calamitas Calamitas for organizing such a detailed thread as well! Seeing it get more attention can definitely help get us some more supporters. Elma's future looks pretty bright, in my opinion.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Dang, that thread was already pretty convincing, but that video, while admittedly just reading through it, convinced me even more. I saw an argument in the comments that X's music had copyright issues and that's why it wasnt in Smash, but that's obviously not true considering they got it in Xenoblade 2, even if it was just Uncontrollable.
I saw the same comment and i have to admit for a moment i thought this could be a reason for a possible exclusion. We already have a few songs that got changed or just the instrumental version was used because of possible copyright with the singer (2 Bayonetta-Songs got "remixed" without vocals, Sonics His World only uses the instrumental Version etc.). But yeah, Uncontrollable was already used in Xenoblade 2. I don't see a reason why Smash couldn't use it as well.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

God...Please be true. Please be true.

Sigman

Smash Cadet

13:28 "Everyone is Here is just a fourth wall break."

So Snake, Rodin, Shantae, Joker, etc meant nothing?

Does Mythra's new costume appearing in the same Xenoblade 2 title mean just additional content that just so happen to look like the one in Super Smash Bros? I don't think that person has done very detailed research.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
A new supporter approaches!
Even if we don't get a playable Elma, I am down for more science-fiction heroines getting added to the roster.
Bonus points for being an actual alien, and a benevolent one at that. Eat scrap, Warhammer 40,000!

Last edited:

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Warhammer 40,000 is a tabletop war-game and sci-fi franchise focused on an absurdly war-torn far future (the titular 40,000's), an absolutely xenophobic humanity, alien races of varying moral-grayness (who are, for the most part, literally classic fantasy races IN SPACE, because it was originally a spinoff of the original, fantasy-based Warhammer), and some off the most horrid examples of "Jerk@$$ Gods" in all of fiction.

Last edited:

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
So I still haven't managed to get Elma from challenge battle in 2. Any tips? Like, what level? Who should have what blades? I really should try but I don't know where to start. And I'm not lowering the difficulty. No hecking way.

Also, here's a cool little thing I just noticed, apparently we're the eighth biggest character support thread (in terms of number of replies) currently! Only being beat out by Isaac, Geno, Shantae, Banjo-Kazooie, Ashley, Bandana Waddle Dee, and Dixie Kong. And the general Squenix thread, which I'm electing to ignore. Pretty cool that Elma, a character from an irrelevant Wii U game, has so much support. Haven't actually done this yet, but I'll take the opportunity to fawn over her as a character, so here goes!
The one thing that can be said for Elma is how much of a BAMF she is. Like, she's unique in terms of Xenoblade protags as she's an experienced fighter and leader. Lora's a good second place, though. I really appreciate that difference from Shulk and Rex. She's also 29, so definitely the most mature character. Besides all that, she just oozes coolness. I mean, the gun-sword combo is cool in general, but moves like Sliding Slinger and Violent Streak (the gun firing in multiple directions one) are probably some of my favorite arts in the series (Minoth has cool arts too, and he's got gunknifes. Guess I have a type.) I know I've mentioned it before, but her being a woman of color protagonist (well, technically a robot, but the point stands) in a JRPG just feels different and fun. She's also the only Xenoblade protagonist who doesn't look like a fashion disaster. Overall, Elma's a really cool character who I really appreciate. Smash Bros is calling her name.

Also, happy early 6,000 pages! That's a pretty cool milestone for sure.

Abade

Smash Apprentice
So I still haven't managed to get Elma from challenge battle in 2. Any tips? Like, what level? Who should have what blades? I really should try but I don't know where to start. And I'm not lowering the difficulty. No hecking way.

Also, here's a cool little thing I just noticed, apparently we're the eighth biggest character support thread (in terms of number of replies) currently! Only being beat out by Isaac, Geno, Shantae, Banjo-Kazooie, Ashley, Bandana Waddle Dee, and Dixie Kong. And the general Squenix thread, which I'm electing to ignore. Pretty cool that Elma, a character from an irrelevant Wii U game, has so much support. Haven't actually done this yet, but I'll take the opportunity to fawn over her as a character, so here goes!
The one thing that can be said for Elma is how much of a BAMF she is. Like, she's unique in terms of Xenoblade protags as she's an experienced fighter and leader. Lora's a good second place, though. I really appreciate that difference from Shulk and Rex. She's also 29, so definitely the most mature character. Besides all that, she just oozes coolness. I mean, the gun-sword combo is cool in general, but moves like Sliding Slinger and Violent Streak (the gun firing in multiple directions one) are probably some of my favorite arts in the series (Minoth has cool arts too, and he's got gunknifes. Guess I have a type.) I know I've mentioned it before, but her being a woman of color protagonist (well, technically a robot, but the point stands) in a JRPG just feels different and fun. She's also the only Xenoblade protagonist who doesn't look like a fashion disaster. Overall, Elma's a really cool character who I really appreciate. Smash Bros is calling her name.

Also, happy early 6,000 pages! That's a pretty cool milestone for sure.
You need Shulk, and Fiora in the party first for the battle. You also need KOS-MOS in the party to max out Elma's affinity chart so Zeke or Nia is the best two for Ether Cannon Users like KOS-MOS. The battle locks to the Xenoblade X's level cap: 60 so you should be at least 60. You will need to use Shulk's Monado Purge as Chain Attacks and reviving party members will be impossible for the entire battle as long as Ghost Elmas are still kicking, You will need to hit Elma with a dark Blade Combo to apply Seal Reinforcements. It will cause Elemental Awakening so that's where Shulk's aforementioned ability comes into play but you have to do it quickly as the window for opportunity is small since the party would face a dirt nap if you don't. Zeke with Corvin is also good. Just spam his evasion art infinitely.
Other people like here have tips
You should also do a Blade Combo that activates a Dark Orb (Water Water Dark, Ice Ice Dark, or Dark Dark Dark are usable I believe). In addition to creating the orb, it will apply Seal Reinforcements.

After this, do not complete any other Blade Combos for the rest of the battle - Seal Reinforcements will overwritten by another Seal, and every Blade Combo finisher creates a Seal.

After you have Seal Reinforcements up, kill all of the clones before focusing on Elma.

As long as Seal Reinforcements is up, Elma can't summon any more clones, so she'll be solo as long as you don't complete any other Blade Combos.

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
Certain new areas are better off for direct sequels. We can infer that there is New Tokyo and a French City on Mira based on the storyline and concept art along with New Los Angeles. They also did state that there is other continents that is unexplored. There was a certain mission to recover a lifehold in Sylvalum to discover a transmission from other Ark Ships.

Top Bottom