• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ehhh some help.

Desh.

Smash Lord
kso, i wanna know what things i should PERFECT are with doc, and if there are a lot more advanced techs that i dont know of yet :S.
basically what are things that every doc should be good at. and what are things i can practice myself?

also could someone critique my doc?
its quite an old video and i'm a lot better now overall, but any advice would be helpful :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wbQl_-eHmrQ

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pwvCuJBkojU&feature=user

thanks in advance :)
I would post a newer vid but i'm lacking ze capture card or my usb for my camera >_>

also things that you should know:
- i know theres other way of edge gaurding then cape, lol i've improved on my edge game much.
-remember its old D=, i'ma try n get a newer one asap

also advice on how to deal with flac0rz, better would be nice =3

St. Viers

Smash Champion
First off, you should be good with all advanced techs, but especially:

1. Spacing is really important with doc. Especially when coupled with a good pill game. Besides the spacing for your moves, know how ling your WD is, how to sweetspot your recovery using doc's gimpy reach.

2. Pill game--learn how to hit people on platforms. Learn the pill trajectory. Practice ledge-canceling pills, all the other pill tricks.

3. Lag-reduction--get SHFFLing down, as well as just l-canceling in general. Practice ledge-canceling your attacks, and work on getting the timing for d-air autocancel as well.

--about the video--

--learn how to avoid lasers <_< either cape them if the falco is far enough away, or get used to jumping over them--he stuffed your jumps, which was odd as he was really bsic with his lasers. Stay on platforms, Full-jump, and pill him from your jumps--the lasers go through them but don't stop them.

You do better later, good job!

--Don't down throw unless they are really damaged, unless you are going for a f/d-smash. yu can get that until around 70%ish I think.

--Upsmash isn't that useful--come out slowly. You it after a lead, don't just throw it out.

--Don't DI b-airs into the shield use it to poke from a distance you can't get grabbed from. B-air is primarily a spacing move and edgeguard.

--UPTHROW!!!!!

--if you are going to just sit there in your shield (~3:10) why not lightshield?

--try f-tilt instead of cape. heretical I know, but falco can just tech that and recover anyways if you cape him and it hits

--Less d-smash maybe? I have that problem too, but I'm getting over it. Pretty much d-smash and b-throw only if you can get them kinda far off-stage. Other wise a grab-u-throw is generally better.

Desh.

Smash Lord
yeah i used to get pummeled with comments about my over use of ccd dsmashes...im getting a little better...I really suck with cape so i try to use bair or nair or pills or something unless theyre coming from something easier to cape like falcons and ganons recovery moves, or firefox/birds. As for the dair auto cencel- i can kinda do it now :S.
I was wondering if theres any tips for timing shbawd right, i can do it sometimes but consistency is the problem for me now, i cant nail the wl everytime :S.

also i find when i use cape to reflect a lazer i just get hit with the other one, any other way to handle the lasers? =/

ty viers =D <3

St. Viers

Smash Champion
SHBAWD--just get used to hitting b-air as fast as you can--doing it super quickly gives you noticable time to either jump again or WD.

If you can't really cape well, use down angled f-tilt. Of course grabbing the edge is better, but I'd use f-tilt if I wasn't used to simply caping people...

Also, up-tilt is nice if you know a spacie is going to try and illusion at/slightly above you.

Lasers: the first thing to do if to try to learn to powershield. Pretty much that solves the problem. However, doing it consistently is annoying....so:

1. Try to get on platforms. Your problem was you weren't jumping soon enough, so he just stuffed your attempt to jump. Try and have a quicker reaction time XD or just throw out a pill if you are close enough, to disrupt him. use that faction of a second to approach with FJ pills.

2. if you time a sh'ed cape right, you can sometimes reflect both lasers. Even if you don't if you cape, should be able to respond after you get hit by the second one before he can jump again. (assume the caped one hits him) Also, I've had decent luck simply caping and shielding right away--i seem to powershield that second shot like 30% of the time

3. grab the ledge--it you are hanging off, he can't hit you. This makes him approach you, meaning at best you can ledge-hop b-air him for a quick gimp. If not you can still get him with some attack (if you are confident with your ability to tech, you can bait a d-air , tech and upB really quickly. That's really fun <_< (I love edgeteching now that I don't mess it up-- my current record is 9 f-smashes by marth in a row (in a real match), but I digress)

4. Just shield, and when he approaches hope he tries to drill shine you and messes up, as doc escapes that kinda easily (compared to many other character)

Also, more advice against falco:

CG as much as possible. If there is a platform above, just d-throw to rising drill, and continue comboing.

If they like approaching with drill kick, just WD back into a f-smash. Works really well. Or you can lightshield, and punish them if they jump after they shine.

If you are by the edge, just try and knock them off. Remember, the higher their damage the closer the "edge" is. Which leads to...

...When they are recovering, your n-air cuts through the phantasm. Good stuff really. Or ledge-grab->b-air. or simply f-tilt. I used to love the cape, but now I only use it if they are recovering at a diagonal--from below they can grab whether you cape or not, and they can tech the cape from an illusion and recover, though you can always then just cape->F-smash (WD->reverse f-smash if they phantasmed onto the stage, and thus could roll when they teched.

When recovering, recover low. You shouldn't fear his d-air, as if you are hugging the stage (or can smashDI so that the d-air sends you into the stage) you can easily tech it. If he tries to D-smash at the edge, it is also easy to tech. When you drop low he can't really laser or b-air you either, plus you get the possibility of stage-spiking him via down-B or your upB. I've yet to play a match against Matt.Zeb where this doesn't happen (even if I end up losing)

This being said, the matchup sucks. Falco should always be controlling the match unless YOU shift it into your favor, usually by means of messing up his lasers and combos. Have fun though, and hope this helps

Top Bottom