• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Eh, ignore this.

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
Old title: Tip for arrow-loopers: using the C-stick. (Is this new or old?)

Reason I changed the title: Eh, c-stick screws up arrow control sometimes and I ought to try Tap Jump off sometime.

Shoot an arrow. Before you have finished, hold the C-stick in any direction (I hold it upward). If you have the C-stick set to "Smash", you can press up and you won't jump. Perfect for arrow-looping for people who don't have Tap Jump off.

What this post used to say said:
Hold the C-stick in any direction after firing one off, before you regain the ability to actually do anything with it, and you won't jump if you have Tap Jump on. I don't know if this is old or new so tell me. It's really useful, I'd say.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
.... Could you reword that?
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by not jumping even if you have tap jump on if you move the c-stick... Wouldn't you not jump anyways if you were just moving the c-stick...

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Yes this is known. And as far as I know, pretty useless.
That is pretty harsh Phaigne... This may help people learn a new way of directing arrows without needing to turn tap off if we are just doing one loop...

To dragonfeather:
Also, are you saying you can control the arrow with the cstick?

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
That is pretty harsh Phaigne... This may help people learn a new way of directing arrows without needing to turn tap off if we are just doing one loop...

To dragonfeather:
Also, are you saying you can control the arrow with the cstick?
Re: cstick: no.

What do you mean by "if we are just doing one loop?" You can do more than one loop and you still won't jump as long as you hold the C-stick.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Re: cstick: no.

What do you mean by "if we are just doing one loop?" You can do more than one loop and you still won't jump as long as you hold the C-stick.
Now that I understand what you meant, I do agree that this may be impractical. Your hands would be in an awkward position and it would be harder for you to drop the loop if the opponent gets too close or add in more arrows in the loop...

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
Now that I understand what you meant, I do agree that this may be impractical. Your hands would be in an awkward position and it would be harder for you to drop the loop if the opponent gets too close or add in more arrows in the loop...
Ah, I understand. You mean multiple arrows looping. For my purposes, this is all right. To add another, couldn't you just let go of the C-stick (and directional/joy stick), fire and use my trick? I'm naming it now because I just had to refer to it as "my trick". I call it MTJO: short for manual tap jump off.

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
I didn't mean to be harsh, but I have played with it before, and found little to no practicality in it. Though, it is nice to know.
Tap Jump or MTJO?

Also, to the post above the post above this one: I am of the opinion vice-versa of yours. Maybe it's because of Melee (and 64)?

One of Tap Jumps uses is that, if you hold up, you'll use your jumps as fast as possible, gaining as much height as possible. If you have Tap Jump off, you have to rapidly tap X or Y. That's one of its uses. I use X to jump only for short hops and wing dashes.

Another small thing is firing off the WoI when recovering or ledge-stalling. Upon your very last jump (when you need it), you fire it off just as you use your last jump and you won't lose all that start up falling distance. Re: Ledge-stalling: Down -> Up -> (Hold Up) WoI is more difficult to perform with Tap Jump off, e.g. Down -> X/Y -> Up and B.

As well, because I use X for short-hops only, I find it very difficult to full jump with it when I need to. For example, if I want to intercept someone while edgeguarding, I might full jump to a bair (Up -> maybe a sideways direction -> C-stick left/right), but with Tap Jump off its X/Y -> hold it long enough for a full jump -> move thumb down to C-stick for a Bair. Although, now that I think it, you might just use fresh wings for that.

The point is that your thumb travels much farther in those distances if tap jump is off.

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
Its as useful as arrow looping, no need for naming it. If someone likes to loop for the hell of it, there isn't any reason to have tap jump on when utilt is one of pits best moves and using that asap can save your stock.
Seeing your point dragon if you require moves to come out at that speed your better off clawing. But the controller is small and that shouldnt be a problem for people. I hear PC uses X to jump for wavedashing, consider that over Y. Regardless useful results over non-useful is a higher number than vice versa.
In short tap jump off, arrow looping bad, but people have different beliefs, choose your own path.

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
(back to give my thread more loving)

Re: naming: Everything needs a name. What would you name it? Is there already a name for it?

Re: U-tilt: You don't use the C-stick? Has anyone seen that vid: Isai's lack of C-stick is hurting him?

Re: PC/Y button: I don't use the Y button. I said I use "X". Y? Pssh!

Lastly, re: Arrow loop: I don't arrow loop often either (never for comboing), but this is still a neat trick to know. I mean, technically it's an advanced technique. You don't pick up on this naturally unless you're the kind of person who does (not turn off Tap Jump).

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
(back to give my thread more loving)

Re: naming: Everything needs a name. What would you name it? Is there already a name for it?
Everything doesn't need a name, insignificant things aren't important. I wouldn't name it and no one should really care about it.

Re: U-tilt: You don't use the C-stick? Has anyone seen that vid: Isai's lack of C-stick is hurting him?
Isai plays brawl where you can Air dodge with normal momentum? No he hates it.

Re: PC/Y button: I don't use the Y button. I said I use "X". Y? Pssh!
Giving examples relative to why tap jump on isn't needed. You said it takes times when you have to move your thumb from X to cstick or w/e. Me saying PC uses X is because is/was a melee pro. Most players and Y but he used X which is farther from B and more difficult but he never had a problem. So your argument doesn't stand up.

Lastly, re: Arrow loop: I don't arrow loop often either (never for comboing), but this is still a neat trick to know. I mean, technically it's an advanced technique. You don't pick up on this naturally unless you're the kind of person who does (not turn off Tap Jump).
No it's not an advanced technique trust me. If you don't want to jump, dont loop so out of control. You can have tap jump on, loop and not jump, by not TAPPING up. If you loop like that, its more benefitical to have it off.
Still this "technique" and this thread is pretty useless.

Tip for arrow-loopers: Stop. You are embarrassing all the good Pit players
Agreed

Valuno

Smash Apprentice
You aren't gonna be able to actually loop arrows with the C-Stick, all the C-Stick does is shift the arrow up or down in very fine increments.... which you probably don't even need.

Also, I disagree with arrow looping being useless, it makes for a fairly good juggle trap. Read their reaction from the loop and punish them. You aren't at all really vulnerable while looping, you can still do almost anything while looping, the only problem is when you put all of your attention into looping, which you shouldn't.

Sure, there are better options most of the times since it's fairly situational, but you can be a good pit player and loop. :p

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
I used X naturally. I was a Falco main and short-hop lasered all day. Albeit, I didn't do it as fast as possible where the laser fires off at the peak all the time; I wanted my lasers to hit lower chars anyway. FYI, my right thumb hits X, B then C-stick down to perform a wingdash and it does get tiring.

Main point: Oh, well I didn't know so many people (Pit players) had Tap Jump off. It's still a neat trick for people who have it on. Just like Isai doesn't use the C-stick for aerials because of SSB64, so I too do not use Tap Jump off due to Melee.

P.S. Fine, let's keep it nameless. Seriously though, my name isn't bad and it deserves a name.

Top Bottom