• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Egg Throw Reversal

Sharky

Smash Master
Hey guys! It's me, the Guide Guy (hehe, Guide Guy.) Now I know I'm usually just the one to document stuff, not come up with it, but this one came to me on accident. Well, actually it's come to me on accident on several occasions, and gimped me too, but this time I decided to get down to what caused it. It's probably happened to more of a few of you before, as well. Anywho, let's get down to business. Note, this is basically wavebouncing.

Egg Throw Reversal
So we all know that normally, Yoshi's Egg Throw (Up-B) gives Yoshi a bit of a vertical boost, and keeps Yoshi moving in the direction he's traveling. That also normally means that he'd have to wait til his direction's changed in order to go in the other direction. Well, there's been a few occasions where, near the edge, I've wanted to back up a bit, then throw an egg. I roll the control stick up and to the direction I want to go, then roll back towards the stage, hitting B somewhere in the process, and by some strange reason I turned the other way with all the momentum I had going towards the stage! Naturally, I was caught off guard, and ended up dying. Now just today, I've figured out how to control this to your advantage. For the most part.

The Process (two ways)
1. ETR with turnaround (end facing the other way):
Start in the air, moving in one direction, control stick pegged in that direction. Make a quick semi-circle, hitting B in the middle. Make sure you don't hit B too late, or you'll fall to your doom in an egg roll. Also make sure you're actually making the semi-circle, not cheating but cutting corners, as, so far, it seems to mess it up. You'll turn around, throw the egg, and keep whatever forward momentum you had prior to the egg throw, except in the opposite direction you were moving prior to the ETR. I am doing this with Tap-Jump off, I cannot guarantee success with it on, if you want to double jump afterward. The process is similar to that of a wavebounce done with other character's Down-B moves.

2. ETR without turnaround (end facing forward):
This is a bit trickier, and will probably take a bit longer to master, but it's overall more useful, I think. Instead of making a full semi-circle with the control stick, make two quick quarter-circle rotations. Press B on the second quarter circle. Done correctly, you'll reverse your momentum, but remain facing forward.

Possible Applications
Note: I have not had actual match experience playing with this, as of yet. This is all theoretical.

Recovery: expect an opponent to come out to edgeguard you? Normally, your safest bet would be to air dodge or double jump. Now you can use this as a sort of aerial counter attack, first dodging the attack, then hitting them with an egg. If you're a little close to the edge and someone is waiting there for you, you can get away from them quickly, in the same spirit as the above. You can DTR multiple times, although you cannot DTR forward when you're already facing forward, thus the "reverse" in the name. =P

Approaching: You can fake an aerial approach by short-hopping forward, and DTRing away. You could trick the opponent into attacking, and perhaps rush in for a grab in the end lag. This could also trick him into approaching, and if you throw your egg right, it will land in his face.

Enjoy, fellow Yoshis! I'll be doing more testing with this over the weekend. Perhaps you guys could help me out and do the same. =D

:yoshi: :yoshi: :yoshi:

EDIT: I don't have recording equipment here. I could meet with someone on wifi who does to do it, or someone else can make something themselves. I'm alright with both, I'm not gonna be greedy or anything, I just want everyone to see it and be able to use it if they need to.

DOUBLE EDIT: The selfish nameitaftermyself name shall be The_Reversinator aka the Sharky Egg XD

bigman40

Smash Master
I'll tell you that if you can land the egg and the wavebounce correctly, then you'll get a free move while the opponent is in hitstun.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I thought this was common knowledge so I never posted it, but you can use this to get back on FD without being lipped. I started using this a week ago, before my focus went to my TL.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Ok so what I am getting out of this is that you are facing one way throwing the egg forward while moving backwards. If that is what you are doing, then phew, another tech I don't have to learn. Been doing the for a while. If it isn't what I am thinking, then man do I feel dumb.

Now that I read it again, I know what you are doing. It is a B reversal but with the up B move. And the Egg Throw makes you keep the forward momentum you have. It is not a Wave Bounce.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Exactly, it is not a wave bounce. it's just game mechanic IMHO.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Yeah, it's fairly common knowledge I thought. But I guess not.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
So he is talking about wavebouncing, and also throwing eggs inthe opposite direction you are going while you wave bounce backwards.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I guess you could possibly call it a wave bounce, not completely convinced of this though, it does make DJ ripples though.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
No hes not. You are changing the direction you are throwing the eggs but keeping your momentum. Its B reversal while keeping your momentum. It's just like Samus/Lucario/diddy Kong cancelling their B reversal and doing Fairs backwards.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Your talking of RARing but that's definitely not the case, or I don't believe. This is definitely not a wave bounce, it's a game mechanic. Just like reversing the Egg lay in the air is also. They are simply done, where as DR i actually canceling and can be considered a tech.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
RAR is when you are on the ground switching directions without a move, but B reversal is usually in the air and always with a B move.

Make a quick semi-circle, hitting B in the middle.
When you do a normal B reversal you press B and smash the Analog stick in the opposite direction you are facing so you maintain all your momentum from the "B" attack. But because this is UP B you have to start with the analog stick up instead of at a neutral position.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
1. ETR with turnaround (end facing the other way):
Start in the air, moving in one direction, control stick pegged in that direction. Make a quick semi-circle, hitting B in the middle. Make sure you don't hit B too late, or you'll fall to your doom in an egg roll. Also make sure you're actually making the semi-circle, not cheating but cutting corners, as, so far, it seems to mess it up. You'll turn around, throw the egg, and keep whatever forward momentum you had prior to the egg throw. I am doing this with Tap-Jump off, I cannot guarantee success with it on, if you want to double jump afterward. The process is similar to that of a wavebounce done with other character's Down-B moves.

2. ETR without turnaround (end facing forward):
This is a bit trickier, and will probably take a bit longer to master, but it's overall more useful, I think. Instead of making a full semi-circle with the control stick, make two quick quarter-circle rotations. Press B on the second quarter circle. Done correctly, you'll reverse your momentum, but remain facing forward.
Alright, #1 is reversal, #2 is wavebouncing. Yayyyyyyyyyyy.

zacharia zako

Smash Journeyman
RAR is when you are on the ground switching directions without a move, but B reversal is usually in the air and always with a B move.

When you do a normal B reversal you press B and smash the Analog stick in the opposite direction you are facing so you maintain all your momentum from the "B" attack. But because this is UP B you have to start with the analog stick up instead of at a neutral position.
yah he has a point. u cant do an up-b if your analog stick is turned to the side. myabe if u start it with the stick in a left up diagonal direction since that counts as an up b

Sharky

Smash Master
welllllll maybe I should rephrase #1. You go backwards with all the momentum you had going forwards. So it is a wavebounce, just facing the opposite direction you face in #2.

Ok so what I am getting out of this is that you are facing one way throwing the egg forward while moving backwards. If that is what you are doing, then phew, another tech I don't have to learn. Been doing the for a while. If it isn't what I am thinking, then man do I feel dumb.

Now that I read it again, I know what you are doing. It is a B reversal but with the up B move. And the Egg Throw makes you keep the forward momentum you have. It is not a Wave Bounce.

No, not quite. You actually also change the direction you're moving in, as well. Thus, making it a wavebounce.

rel_12

Smash Apprentice
Nice. I seem to do this as wel, Never exactly know how.. Now I do :D

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
LOL I never really tried doing this in training mode, so I just read the description and was like no its not a wavebounce.... Im still not convinced that it is a wavebounce, but maybe it isn't a B reversal either.

And im more confused by the OP now that you edited it. You keep saying opposite and then original and then forward. Could you use just the directions. Like originally facing left then forward. It would help instead of opposite and original.

Top Bottom