• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Egg Tactics

thedarkyoshi

Smash Cadet
Yoshi has the potential to be the best character in the game due to the unique abilities he and he alone has, including having some of the essential move sets that give high tier characters their ability to be, well, high tiered. This Thread focuses on Yoshi's projectile: Eggs. Through my years of playing Yoshi, I have found that eggs are good for offence, defense, distractions, controlling the field, and combos. Though Yoshi has other techniques that can be more useful, I feel like his eggs are underrated. I will post several things concerning the eggs' usefulness. You may comment, add, and discuss but all spam will be deleted. Please refrain from going into any other tangents.

thedarkyoshi

Smash Cadet
Offence:

The ability of eggs working for offence is pretty obvious. It can be used in your "keep away" game especially when your opponent has no projectile moves. Eggs do a high amount of damage for projectiles go around about 7-10% on average. Keeping your opponents away building up the damage is a good strategy when you're facing an opponent a bit out of your league.

Edge Guarding is more of a defense than an offence, but when you don't want to do anything too risky, throwing eggs for offence when your opponent is off stage can be useful to build up damage.

Just keep up the pressure and keep your distance. Having an offensive Egg strategy is simple and the easiest to apply. Hardest part is controlling your eggs, but this is a good way to practice. Next I'll post more advance strategies on how to use your eggs for defense, control, combos etc and how to control your eggs in general.

thedarkyoshi

Smash Cadet
Let me take this time to discuss Controlling your eggs:

DI (Directional Influence) is how you control eggs. If you know how to DI your that much closer to being an expert at control. Though controlling where you go when you get hit is different than controlling your eggs.

First off, eggs always move in an upside-down parabola or in other words, an Arch shape. They can be activated with the up-special move.

Holding: Pressing up and B and holding the stick and button will make the egg go the furthest
Up: Holding only up on the analog stick will send your egg in a more latitudinal arch shape landing in front of your character
Forward: Holding forward on the analog stick after activating the up-special will make a more longitudinal arch shape.
Back: Holding back on the analog stick immediately after activating the up special will have the same shape as holding up except the egg is fired behind your character.

The length of time you hold it down determines the distance the egg goes. Experimenting with the possibilities of all the combinations will reveal that you can place eggs nearly anywhere on the map.

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
hey darkyoshi something has been bothering a bit about PM/Melee and the way the eggtossing works. Maybe i'm over analyzing it but isn't Yoshis eggs harder to control in PM then they are in melee? I play both and Melee's seem a whole lot easier then Project M to control where you want it to go

Scatz

Smash Champion
Possibly that the 16 different angles are harder to land than in melee. The only thing I think that makes it harder is to advocate the new speed of the game compared to melee and the fact that they drop until it hits something. It makes taking up aerial space a little harder since you can't expect it to explode for missing.

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
Possibly that the 16 different angles are harder to land than in melee. The only thing I think that makes it harder is to advocate the new speed of the game compared to melee and the fact that they drop until it hits something. It makes taking up aerial space a little harder since you can't expect it to explode for missing.
Alright then i'm not going crazy lol i'll just have to improve the egg game in PM then.

thedarkyoshi

Smash Cadet
Melee is a tad faster than pm so your timing may be off a bit making egg control a little harder if you're used to melee speeds. I would not recommend being the same character in both of you need to improve fast.

cramazzratazz

Smash Apprentice
my favorite thing to do is to curve it so the egg goes straight up; this definitely allows for some nice mind games :3

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
I'm an egg sniper. People who don't know Yoshi actually sometimes ask if the eggs are homing (in complete seriousness too).
One great thing to do once you get the angles and trajectories down, you can toss a High egg, then get close to them so that the camera zooms in and the egg disappears. Then either they pamnic because they have no Idea where the egg is going to hit, or they forget about it and get hit.

TamashiiEater

Smash Rookie
I dunno I just cant get used to yoshi's current egg game without the auto explosions. It seems like its great for sniping and gimping at long range, but the other options in melee just don't transfer over to pm too well. The consistency you get in pm is greatly overshadowed by what you can do in melee. In yoshi dittos I can dodge them super easy with just a small amount of DI. Kind of sad. I can deal with the awkward trajectory but the fact they dont explode unless they make contact, and the speed they travel at is kinda weak. I find myself tossing some out during my opponents recovery and having to rely on my edge guard game 30% of the time because the egg just wizzed by them. In melee I can tell where they are going to blow and target accordingly, in pm you pay attention to their trajectory and hope it doesnt change or you will miss completely.

Last edited:

Scatz

Smash Champion
The focus of PM Eggs is to trap space in a slightly different manner than how the official games have it. You need to create traps where they're foced to shield at whatever small space they have to use or have the egg chase them off stage to close off the upper areas. The requirement is much tighter, but the achievements yield slightly better benefits for landing one that's purposely for traps.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
throw eggs that make them make decisions, I cannot stress how good eggs are off the stage, they force the opponent to tank the damage or to avoid it and mess up how they recover, then you get a free stock because they missed a sweetspot. always Aim in front of them or to cover a tech option

Last edited:

TamashiiEater

Smash Rookie
I see what you mean, but melee eggs do the same thing with less range but more consistency. The only time I see pm eggs as a better option for traps is when you pop one up and it just keeps coming down so you get more delay, and its harder for the opponent to see it coming as it sometimes goes off screen for a sec. Every other trap option that I have seen is more consitent with melee as it covers an area rather than a it's line of trajectory.

Also, when it comes to characters like ike and lucario who can easily come in to wall jump, or characters with insanely good recovery like pit, the melee eggs still prove to be more consitent in the fact that you can aim at an area instead of trying lob a ball at a flying target.

Maybe I just don't understand what you guys are getting at, because it seems like you guys have a reason to prefer the pm eggs that I can't seem to grasp. As it stands I just feel like consitency was sacrificed for range, which I can sort of compensate for but I do not prefer.

On that note could you possibly direct me to an in depth video tutorial on yoshi that includes his egg game or a really descriptive written guide. BTW, imo the best egg game for yoshi was in ssb64, the trajectory, range, and speed were amazing. I remember getting good enough to land like 3-5 eggs in a row each sitting just 'cus I could.

Last edited:

didds

Smash Lord
It's different idk, it's just another case of this is different so get consistent at the new version. I rarely find that my eggs don't operate the way I want and if they aren't covering me properly, it's usually because I'm being stupid and using them in an unsafe way. The only thing to watch out for in Pm is that you can't throw the melee instant droppers so there is a better chance for your opponent to simply go under.

For edge guarding eggs I'll usually use an egg toss to grab ledge (while aiming for them), then throw out another edge cancelled egg or instead directly go into a rising aerial to finish the edge guard depending on how far out they were.

As for extensive guides, there aren't really any at this point since you can count the "somewhat" relevant Yoshis on your fingers. There aren't really and relevant Yoshis at this point.

Last edited:

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
I like PM eggs because they are better for (as I said above) forcing the opponent to make decisions. Melee eggs and 64 eggs and brawl eggs all have their strengths. Melee eggs deal a lot of damage and have their set explosion time. Pm eggs deal less damage but allows you to put more eggs in the air and cover more space/options. That's why I like them more

didds

Smash Lord
Melee eggs do have the potential for the last ditch, death egg though, which is awesome.

Nothing makes me as sad as when I'm about to die and toss an egg, then right before it hits the opponent, I die and my egg disappears -_-

so sad

Last edited:
Top Bottom