• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Effects of PM 3.5 changes to tether recoveries?

DoctorFS

Smash Rookie
As stated the PMBR's latest blogpost, the next update to Project M is slated to reduce the number of tethers to the ledge per airtime for z-tethers down to one. The lagginess of the forced ledge jump on reel in when ledgehogged is also to be increased. How hard will this nerf Samus' recovery, and what effect will this have on your gameplay?

Chevy

Smash Ace
I don't think this will hit Samus too hard, it just means we will have to recover much smarter. Start getting used to saving your double jump when you tether, practice getting max distance bomb jumps, try to reel in close enough that screw attack can't be ledge-hogged, and start practicing grapple boost heights for tether fail mix-ups. In fact this is pretty much perfect for our current tether limitations, it brings Samus' recovery directly in line with their design goal for recoveries.

I'm kind of wary about the extra lag on the ledgehop, but it's probably fine. Most of the time I just b-aired anyone trying to punish it, so this is most likely a positive change. Do hope we get something to compensate for a worse recovery though. Also bummed no Melee tethers but this is a good change overall.

DoctorFS

Smash Rookie
Yeah I'm definitely kinda sad that it doesn't seem like we'll be able to get Melee style tethers in PM; pretty sure that would elegantly avoid the difficulties they're having with balancing tethers, but oh well. On a side note, I think the changes will hit up-b tether characters like Ivy and Olimar a bit harder than say Samus and Lucas. Even with two tries, I feel like at distances where it's the only recovery option (i.e. they can't reach the stage or ledge without tethering), edguarding them should become significantly more braindead (especially when Olimar's sometimes just farts and fails anyway lol).

Litt

Samus
Note, "this is an overall design refocusing, rather than a balance one"... so yup, they realized they just couldnt balance characters... (admitting characters were not balanced) ... so they had to redo the game. YAYYYYY maybe it will actually require more creativity and DI dependent combo's/follow ups, and HMMMMM Maybe samus will actually be the character with the best recovery again now that everyone's is getting nerfed... HMMMM maybe jigs will become viable again... maybe peach too :O :O :O

Haden

If life is so fair, why do roses have thorns?
So will this also apply to Ivysaur? I mean, Ivy is also a tether recovery sooooo.. I assume so...

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
So will this also apply to Ivysaur? I mean, Ivy is also a tether recovery sooooo.. I assume so...
Non-Z tethers get two latches, rather than one. However, all tethers will undergo more lag when edgehogged (assuming the changes presented in the blog post go through.)

Chevy

Smash Ace
Note, "this is an overall design refocusing, rather than a balance one"... so yup, they realized they just couldnt balance characters... (admitting characters were not balanced) ... so they had to redo the game. YAYYYYY maybe it will actually require more creativity and DI dependent combo's/follow ups, and HMMMMM Maybe samus will actually be the character with the best recovery again now that everyone's is getting nerfed... HMMMM maybe jigs will become viable again... maybe peach too :O :O :O
"Design refocusing" means they weren't happy with the direction certain elements of play were going, i.e. edgeguarding and recovering. "Rather than a balance one" is there to confirm to narrow minded folk that they aren't just trying to nerf tether characters. It specifically has nothing to do with balance. PM is still the most balanced smash game by a huge margin, barring maybe 64. It's pretty impossible to even argue against that. Redo the game is super overkill phrasing for what's happening. I agree that hopefully some characters will actually require creative DI dependant combos(Lucas, Pit, etc.). Peach is fine.

Litt

Samus
Its by far the least balanced game where certain match ups are just ridiculous of players at the same level and skill required for some characters over others. But lets just see what they do in 3.5, watched your match against that MetaKnight, and you really have to CC dowmsmash man, dtilt isnt going to help much for combos especially when in ice mode.

Chevy

Smash Ace
Some imbalanced match-ups != imbalanced game. Also MK vs. everyone else in Brawl, Any Melee high tier vs. low tier, etc. There's always been horrible match-ups it was just harder to tell because the losing character was just unviable in the other games. MK match was awhile ago now, I've definitely started using d-smash a bit more. It was only the second time I'd faced a decent MK, and I was still trying to figure out the matchup(not that I know it that well now), thanks though.

Litt

Samus
Some imbalanced match-ups != imbalanced game. Also MK vs. everyone else in Brawl, Any Melee high tier vs. low tier, etc. There's always been horrible match-ups it was just harder to tell because the losing character was just unviable in the other games. MK match was awhile ago now, I've definitely started using d-smash a bit more. It was only the second time I'd faced a decent MK, and I was still trying to figure out the matchup(not that I know it that well now), thanks though.
Don't forget to chaingrab either, take the free percent when you can!

Top Bottom