• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Editorial: Smash 4 At Genesis 3 - The Journey

Genesis 3 has become the most stacked Smash 4 event of all time. If you're a Smash 4 fan are already likely to know of ZeRo, his win streak, and how he and Nairo will be meeting again for the first time in a while. We've already written articles showing off the Smash 4 talent coming from Mexico, Latin America, Canada, Australia and Japan. You probably know of players like ESAM, Mr. R, Dabuz, Larry Lurr, and Ally all trying to break through to the very top.

So instead of just adding to the noise and repeating everything everyone else has been saying already, let's take a retrospective look at what has been building up from the very beginning to create the amazing moments we will see for Smash 4 at Genesis 3.

Smash 3DS

Times were different indeed. Remember when Bowser was going to top the tier list? Having to kill a Jigglypuff on a third console so games could be recorded and streamed? Time have changed, the game was not optimized in the slightest, and no one was sure what kind of speed it would have or how edgeguarding really worked.

Look back to one of the first events to get many of the best together, the Clash Tournaments Invitational. While an online event it still showed so much of what the young game would have to offer. We had Koolaid starting the craze of Pac-Man, Zucco making everyone excited for Mega Man, Salem came and everyone expected him to rock the scene with Zero Suit Samus as he had at an Apex prior for Brawl.

This was another big thing of the early tournaments, not everyone stayed on top, or even really stayed at all. When's the last time you heard about Salem in Smash 4? Zucco hasn't been at many majors lately either (and dropped Mega Man at times to boot) and Koolaid has only been seen recently at KTAR XV.

While we had players well known today like Nairo, Mr. R, ZeRo, FOW, Ally, Dabuz, and Anti, many were trying very different characters than we see them using today. Some kept up their favorites from Brawl like JTails with Diddy Kong and other tried something entirely new like Trela with Charizard and Nairo with Dark Pit, Robin, even Zelda.

Looking at the results of the Xanadu Smash 4 Invitational people would be amazed at what has become today. Dark Pit and Robin topping a tournament? Duck Hunt making a splash? Not to mention looking back how amazing it is how some players continued to rise up as others beside them fell. Smash 4 already had an interesting future and we only had the handheld version. When the game finally came to the Wii U things were about to get intense.

Smash for Wii U - Beginnings

It was during this time that ZeRo got the lowest placement he has ever gotten in singles for Smash 4: 3rd. Sky's Smash 4 Invitational saw ZeRo using Fox and being surrounded with names once famous in Brawl and eventually would become known as some of the best Smash 4 has to offer. Mr. R, ESAM, FOW, Zinoto, Nakat, Trela, and Nairo, rounding out 7th place.

It was a time when thinking that 3rd place was the lowest ZeRo has ever gotten wasn't even considered worth mentioning. A top player from Brawl placed kind of high. A time when Nairo barely making the top eight didn't blow minds. It was such a different time, it's amazing where we are at now.

Apex 2015

The first super major for Smash 4 began with a rocky start. Before the event even began troubles with its organization grew and as the event itself was set to take place disaster struck. A new venue had to be procured overnight and through the diligence of some of the brightest members of the Smash community somehow a three day tournament was fit into two days, and entire venue moved, and the event went on.

A new rivalry would bloom here as Abadango faced Dabuz, Pac-Man against Rosalina. The matches drug on to the very end of the clock and beyond for each fight as this battle of small aggression waged on with Dabuz eventually coming out on top.

To add to this even worse Diddy Kong was beginning to truly wreak havoc. Even with a clever change to Olimar there was no match for the power of the "hoo hah" and ZeRo took home the win. Dabuz got a reputation for his campy play just as he had in Brawl and many onlookers worried about the future of the game as a slow and campy experience. Things didn't stay this way for long.

CEO 2015 + EVO 2015

Patches came in. DLC was made available in Mewtwo. Proper internet connectivity brought out something new in Smash. Speaking of the new, people wanted to explore a feature that had recently been added to the series: custom moves.

While few majors wanted to take on the risks of this gameplay not liked by all some tried and had riotous results (like ADHD and his run with Villager) but the biggest of all to take custom moves on was EVO 2015. This looked to be the make or break moment to see if they would become a community standard or fade away to obscure use.

Before EVO had its chance to show customs shine however we had CEO 2015 to try and show what Smash 4 had to offer and boy did it look better than Apex 2015. 512 entrants packed their way to Florida to try and take down the growing giant that was ZeRo and show the world what they could do.

While we saw many of the names top the bracket as we do today it was an amazing show with NickRiddle pulling out Bowser at a time he wasn't considered good to win a match. Some people met Shaky for the very first time and saw there were Ness players not named FOW. Kamicario showed the first strong performance with Lucario we had ever seen causing a huge upset at the time. Smash 4 without customs showed it could be strong, so could customs show just as powerful a performance at EVO 2015?

Larry Lurr vs Captain Awesome EVO 2015

I was there in the crowd as Captain Awesome left the stage midst heckling, booing, jeering as he commanded his custom Villager as best he could but still lost a match on the main stage. Even those who loved custom moves sitting next to me agreed this would likely be their last big moment. What a moment it was however.

ESAM was unable to use Heavy Skull Bash to its fullest potential. Abadango got his revenge on Dabuz wafting him into the blast zones many times. The matches were tense, quick, exciting, and all came to a head where Nairo was unable to overcome ZeRo and neither was Mr. R. The streak would continue. Despite not really hurting the tournament customs were left to the wayside and a new era of Smash began.

The "New Era"

No more customs and rulesets were beginning to become much more solid than ever. Many stages that were beloved counterpicks began to fall to the wayside and more than a few tournaments listed "The Paragon Ruleset" as the rules they used for events. While the debate over stock counts and Miis still wage on today, things began to finally settle even if just a bit.

Super Smash Con came and went with great gusto and incredibly close matches where ESAM made it look like ZeRo was finally destined for his first loss. Players from North America soon after decided to brave the trip over to Japan to see what they could offer and learned quickly how strong their competition would be.

Ranai took 2 stocks from Ally and three from Nairo in the Japan vs World crew battle and the work was rocked. This undisputed best in Japan didn't even manage to win the tournament. Famous names people knew like Abadango and Rain didn't even place on top. Many finally learned and started to closely follow events from there. People couldn't wait until we here in North America could really face off against them again. Tomorrow, that opportunity begins.

Now - Genesis 3

We've seen ZeRo finally have the streak broken. We have unexpected characters like Cloud and Ryu added to the mix that can pack a serious punch with even more on the way. New names have mad their marks on the scene and are looking to solidify their status. Can K9 really become the new 'King of Smash'? Marss took Nairo to game five, could he be the next Zero Suit Samus main to rock the world?

What about the people who play characters most consider low tier yet find success like Tweek or Jonny Westside, could they show what these characters truly have to offer? Will Ryo's Ike, Dath or Raziek's Robin, SlayerZ or Umeki's Peach show something we've never seen before?

Just last night we saw Venezuela, Australia, and Japan enter one of their first tournaments ever in America at Wombo Wednesday #21 and all had impressive performances against some of the best in America. This is only a taste of what is to come and the house is already being rocked.

A game in its infancy, a game just breaking a year old, sets to break record at its most stacked event of all time. 1093 registered entrants. Something many fighting games have NEVER had, for the game barely a year old. International talent in attendance has soared to higher heights than ever before.

This event will become one of the greatest moments in the history of Smash 4. A catalyst to see even MORE growth, even BIGGER events, new rivalries to rage on, brand news stories to tell... These few stories only scratch the very surface of what Genesis 3 has to offer. I'm just honored I'll be there to tell the story and that you've all supported me as I've done so until now. I'll be at Genesis 3, come meet me if you're there and say hi. I'm the crazy tall guy with bright red hair.

Whether you're watching at home or at the event I hope you enjoy the magnitude of this event but I want you to remember one thing: it is only the beginning. See you later Smash cowboys~

SmashCapps

Comments

This event could be the gatekeeper for SSB4...

Will it last? Can it bring new and old players back?

These questions are impossible to answer now... but Genesis could be our glimpse of the future.

Looking forward to watching the best of the best fight before the whole world.

Krinblaze, Scizor and Izaw will be there as well to represent Link. I'm looking forward to seeing how well they do; having any one of them place in the top 20 would be awesome and would be a big deal for us Links. I really hope they get featured on stream. Scizor and Kirin deserve it a lot more since they are clearly better players, though having Izaw bring the hype is cool too I guess. Not looking forward to all the Izawmbies though if Izaw is the one to place well lol.

Last edited:
Krinblaze, Scizor and Izaw will be there as well to represent Link. I'm looking forward to seeing how well they do; having any one of them place in the top 20 would be awesome and would be a big deal for us Links. I really hope they get featured on stream. Scizor and Kirin deserve it a lot more since they are clearly better players, though having Izaw bring the hype is cool too I guess. Not looking forward to all the Izawmbies though if Izaw is the one to place well lol.
I think this tourney is more important than that. Is not like just "placing", with this tourney well see who is wrong and who is right, in the discussion of how to play link. I seeing this like... If izaws smashskills are truth like he say, then he would have to prove it here.

In any case, no matter who is wrong or right... Is us that are going to win, just with the experience. So i am looking forward to this. :)

Sorry if is hard to understand, English is not my first languaje. :4link:

Top Bottom