• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edgeguarding with ZSS

Heero Yuy

#sweg
How does one do it? Her aerials seem to laggy to safely use offstage (plus they're not that good to begin with except vs tumbling opponents) and the only thing I can think of is DownB'ing when the fail to sweetspot the ledge.

Thanks in advance.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Dude... D-smash. At the edge, D-smash is love, D-smash is life. Once they are stunned you have a number of options for the kill from flipjump divekick, to bair, fair, and f-smash.

Or even Footstool

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Yeah, dsmash has great range, and reaches pretty far below the edge, and is really difficult, and sometimes impossible, to punish if properly spaced.

Roche_CL

Smash Journeyman
Dsmash all the way. Sometimes Bair works well too.
When coming above you Bair or upB.

Foo

Smash Lord
I like running or jumping off the stage into nair and downsmashing as they are recovering (separately, of course). If you nair them off stage and they are low enough% and/or DI towards stage, it combos into an up-b meteor smash. Grabbing onto ledge and dropping into doublejump bair is also a really good technique, but I haven't really played around with it too much. Upair, dair, and fair are unviable off stage and downsmash is pretty much the only move you'd ever want to use on stage to ledge guard.

If you grab ledge and they recover above you, drop-double jump-fair works pretty well.

EDIT: I also like to down-b into dive kick to ledge guard sometimes as well. If you jump cancel the dive kick, it's perfectly safe. However, if you miss, you give up stage control.

Last edited:

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
DSmash of course, as everyone else has said. It's rather easy. Just wait for them to burn their double jump and use it as they're coming up with their Up-B.

If they are recovering high, I like to grab the ledge, hop off up and backwards, and UpB them to get the meteor kill. You can B-Reverse this so you grab the ledge afterwards, not that you even need to do that cause you would be able to recover regardless. It just looks flashy.

The DownB divekick is VERY good for edgeguarding. The cool thing about it is that you can actually use it to jump off the stage, but dive TOWARD it in order to stage spike an opponent trying to recover low. Just make sure you don't accidentally double jump before using the kick because you need to midair jump to jump-cancel it and tether back to the stage safely.

Foo

Smash Lord
The DownB divekick is VERY good for edgeguarding. The cool thing about it is that you can actually use it to jump off the stage, but dive TOWARD it in order to stage spike an opponent trying to recover low. Just make sure you don't accidentally double jump before using the kick because you need to midair jump to jump-cancel it and tether back to the stage safely.
Sadly, it doesn't spike in this game like it does in brawl but it is still very good for edgeguarding. It sends opponents up and away with around as much knockback as the second hit of forward air, maybe a little more.

Roche_CL

Smash Journeyman
Sadly, it doesn't spike in this game like it does in brawl but it is still very good for edgeguarding. It sends opponents up and away with around as much knockback as the second hit of forward air, maybe a little more.
He said "Stage spike", he was reffering when they were low, he hits them with the dive kick sending them against the stage for it to spike the opponent.

cramazzratazz

Smash Apprentice
how effective is ZS' sideB in terms of spiking upon contact (rather than comboing into the divekick)

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
Dsmash if they're recovering low, if they're recovering mid-ish but to the stage, Bair. I like to rab the edge, then ledge drop and Bair as they approach. If they're recovering really high, you don't have many options. You can try for an Up-B, whichcan work, but sometimes you're better off going for a juggle to rack on more damage.
He said stage spike, so he is correct. I don't know how practical/good it is but he is technically correct.

1FD

Smash Ace
Just down b from the ledge and whip back to the ledge. Makes a wall of foot that kills. You can divekick AWAY from the stage a max down b horizontal distance and make it back faster than almost anyone even if you miss (but it's hard to miss with) np np.

Ouroboro

Smash Cadet
Depending on the recovery option your opponent is taking, I tend to just take edge and try to punish anyone landing on the stage, or, sometimes, I drop/upair. With the right timing, you can hit the back hitbox on the move and send them backwards. besides that Dsmash, or walk off nairs seem to work decently.

ted dorosheff

Smash Apprentice
i like to edgeguard with a perfectly timed bair. if they are on the ledge and taking pretty much any stage approach method, its possible to slip a bair in for a kill. practice with a cpu, and make sure your shffl bair l-cancel is on point. Also, zss's dtilt will hit someone holding onto the ledge. It knocks them up right into fsmash territory.

Top Bottom