• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edgeguarding with footstool

Kanunuu

Smash Cadet
Often times foxes are lead to believe there is nothing they can do offstage due to how unsafe most of his options are, and this often resuslts in a loss of momentum. Fox can attempt a footstool against certain characters in an attempt at a gimp, this can function similarly to melees shine spike. Obviously it is not invincible, and it doesn't stuff most recoveries, but if your opponent attempts to recover low, you can attempt a footstool. From here you will want to attempt a ledge trump as a form of option coverage. A way to stall your recovery is after the attempted footstool, jump further offstage and sweet spot. This is a safe, (matchup dependent) form of option coverage. To cover the ledge roll you can side b to the ledge, to cover a lack of option, you can back air and drift to the stage, this is yet again a form of option coverage, as the bair will auto cancel and you can attempt to cover the ledge roll with grab. (Often times opponents will roll again after the ledge roll, so be wary of this.) I wouldn't recommend trying to cover the jump option since covering the roll option with side b will put you in a great position with them above you.

Feedback is appreciated

EpicSonicLatios

Smash Apprentice
My question is, why would you footstool just so you could "cover options"? If they are recovering low, just trump them and then cover their options. It's easier to get a trump that way anyways. The only way I would use this is if it was a legit way to kill people offstage, because otherwise it's pointless and doesn't cover options better than just waiting onstage.

Kanunuu

Smash Cadet
In certain matchups, this keeps you from being idle. Such as vs sonic or cf. In hindsight this probably isn't a good idea, but I really want to explore ways of edgeguarding with fox since so few people do it.

NoSharp

Smash Rookie
In my personal opinion the fair spike is the equivalent to a shine spike in this game, you can only do it when people recover low and it can literally kill people at 0% and it can trade with some recoveries to spike without dragging you down. I feel like a lot of Fox players don't use it enough.

D

Deleted member 269706

In my personal opinion the fair spike is the equivalent to a shine spike in this game, you can only do it when people recover low and it can literally kill people at 0% and it can trade with some recoveries to spike without dragging you down. I feel like a lot of Fox players don't use it enough.
Agreed, fair is an incredible tool, you just have to be careful when doing it. I also managed to gimp a Corrin in bracket with nair by trading with his up B.

Kanunuu

Smash Cadet
The issue with using fair off stage is that if you miss, you are forced to recover with firefox, which is super punishable. Shine spike is almost useless in all matchups bar, Dr mario and little mac. And if you miss you lose all stage control. I view the footstool as a safe form of edgeguarding

NoSharp

Smash Rookie
The issue with using fair off stage is that if you miss, you are forced to recover with firefox, which is super punishable. Shine spike is almost useless in all matchups bar, Dr mario and little mac. And if you miss you lose all stage control. I view the footstool as a safe form of edgeguarding
High risk high reward, I'm down for that! lol

Top Bottom