• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edgeguarding Trick With Luma

TxZero

Smash Cadet
So as I'm sure you've noticed by now Luma can be quite the powerful tool off stage, but I've noticed something that makes Luma even more powerful

If you use luma shot and position Luma at the edge but just off stage, he will begin to enter a sort of "Bounce" animation as he tries to return to Rosalina. This animation consists of Luma first moving down, then bouncing up. With proper timing, you can actually attack out of the first half of the bounce animation and have Luma quite far below the stage, allowing you to hit your opponent with either a D Tilt or a Dair before their up B/ double jump sweet spots the ledge. The setup for this edge guard is very tricky, but with practice this method of Edgeguarding is VERY effective.

-Zeroic

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
I was playing against a (good) Rosalina & Luma for the first time today, and just I noticed that she's good at edgeguarding from the stage overall, something I did off-stage more by myself rather than on-stage. She can just stand a distance away from the edge, so Luma is positioned over the edge or on the edge and from this position and then you'll cover such a big area that you'll have an answer to most of the ways the opponent is wanting to return to the platform.

A get-up attack would hit Luma only, so is gonna get punished by Rosalina, a roll would just result in getting smashed, and a jump or detach and double jump would get punished by Luma. It felt like such a big wall, and I think if you keep your head cool as a Rosalina you can actually safely do this without having to predict your opponent too much.

Maybe I was misplaying it a lot, but I couldn't find a surefire way to get past them in this position, taking a ton of harassment before getting off the stage. And now I'm definitely going to try to set up edgeguarding like this instead playing off the stage.

TxZero

Smash Cadet
I was playing against a (good) Rosalina & Luma for the first time today, and just I noticed that she's good at edgeguarding from the stage overall, something I did off-stage more by myself rather than on-stage. She can just stand a distance away from the edge, so Luma is positioned over the edge or on the edge and from this position and then you'll cover such a big area that you'll have an answer to most of the ways the opponent is wanting to return to the platform.

A get-up attack would hit Luma only, so is gonna get punished by Rosalina, a roll would just result in getting smashed, and a jump or detach and double jump would get punished by Luma. It felt like such a big wall, and I think if you keep your head cool as a Rosalina you can actually safely do this without having to predict your opponent too much.

Maybe I was misplaying it a lot, but I couldn't find a surefire way to get past them in this position, taking a ton of harassment before getting off the stage. And now I'm definitely going to try to set up edgeguarding like this instead playing off the stage.
in this situation if you jump from the ledge, you would have time to jump and/or air dodge before Rosa/Luma can actually hit you, however this post is about winning the ledge game before your opponent has a chance to even grab it, which seems to be quite the task in this game when compared to previous installments

- Zeroic

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
this post is about winning the ledge game before your opponent has a chance to even grab it, which seems to be quite the task in this game when compared to previous installments

- Zeroic
Yeah, I guess my post was a bit unrelated. Sorry I just had my first set of games against a decent Rosalina & Luma player and felt the other side of so many cool things my head is just filled with it right now.

On a more on-topic note though, how many 'bounces' does it take for Luma to reach a height where they're below the "snapping" point? Is it only a single bounce? I've also noticed it's hard to actually prevent the player from grabbing the ledge, not just with Rosalina & Luma, so this seems pretty useful, especially considering how safe it is. The different recovery to me feels like it's a combination of both the angles you send your opponents flying at as well as the more vertical emphasis on recovering or something. I can't really put my finger on it.

Last edited:

TxZero

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I guess my post was a bit unrelated. Sorry I just had my first set of games against a decent Rosalina & Luma player and felt the other side of so many cool things my head is just filled with it right now.

On a more on-topic note though, how many 'bounces' does it take for Luma to reach a height where they're below the "snapping" point? Is it only a single bounce? I've also noticed it's hard to actually prevent the player from grabbing the ledge, not just with Rosalina & Luma, so this seems pretty useful, especially considering how safe it is. The different recovery to me feels like it's a combination of both the angles you send your opponents flying at as well as the more vertical emphasis on recovering or something. I can't really put my finger on it.
It's not a matter of the bounces themselves that move Luma downward, but interupting the animation before Luma moves back up. The timing is EXTREMELY fickle, but like I said with practice it is indeed powerful.

It's like this: Lumashot > Wait a moment for bounce to start > Dair/Dtilt

It's important not to jump early because this makes luma move upward before dropping down with the bounce, so timing it with dair is even harder than d tilt.

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
It's not a matter of the bounces themselves that move Luma downward, but interupting the animation before Luma moves back up. The timing is EXTREMELY fickle, but like I said with practice it is indeed powerful.

It's like this: Lumashot > Wait a moment for bounce to start > Dair/Dtilt

It's important not to jump early because this makes luma move upward before dropping down with the bounce, so timing it with dair is even harder than d tilt.
I phrased my question wrongly it seems, but I got the answer anyway :) I was wondering if you would have to cancel more than one bounce to get Luma low enough, but from what I understand a dtilt at the low point of the first bounce is already enough?

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Good find, seems something thats definitly worth using(spamming moves does hold luma in place too)

TxZero

Smash Cadet
I phrased my question wrongly it seems, but I got the answer anyway :) I was wondering if you would have to cancel more than one bounce to get Luma low enough, but from what I understand a dtilt at the low point of the first bounce is already enough?
That is correct

Last edited:
Top Bottom