• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edgeguarding Options

Astherath

Smash Cadet
So, while practicing some, I started looking at the frame data while doing some edge-guarding options. I found that doing the really fast back air that snaps on to ledge as soon as you're done is only invincible for about half of it (I think that if it was TAS, it might be invincible for 90% of it, but as far as my human execution is concerned, I couldn't get about 1/3 above the ledge without my invincibility wearing off).

As for up air, the invincibility stays on a tad wee bit longer (probably because the execution is much more lenient). I wondered about why people don't use this more, and then I started testing these out more and more. The back air only covers a very, very small portion of the ledge, and if it hits with the bad hitbox, your opponent gets to get back to center stage for absolutely free.

Back air is much better as it covers the ledge itself and about 1/2 a Falcon above the ledge, but the execution is much. much, much tighter and harder. I could only get it to about 50% execution rate, and that was with about 1 hour of practice.

Overall, these options are amazing, but they have to be practiced for an obscene amount of time to be decent. These options with the regular ledgejump knee/stomp edgeguards would make for a Falcon that could win some majors.

Thoughts? Opinions? Disagreements?

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Are you talking about let go ledge -> double jump -> bair/uair -> regrab ledge?

It's not a new option nor is it super hard. A lot of things in this game will take long hours of practice to really nail consistency.

Also, while both options are great, they definitely have holes even when combined with traditional ledgehop knee/stomp depending on matchup. But there's also a lot more edgeguarding options to consider.

It's also possible to do knee -> ledge regrab for funsies, though I haven't found a scenario where it's particularly useful.

If this isn't what you are talking about, I apologize

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
These have been know, but in my opinion one of the best options from ledge is to do an AI (aerial interrupt) bair from the ledge, into a pivot any angled ftilt if needed, depending on their SDI. It's also a great option for getting back to center stage when under corner pressure.

xXadevs2000Xx

Smash Apprentice
These have been know, but in my opinion one of the best options from ledge is to do an AI (aerial interrupt) bair from the ledge, into a pivot any angled ftilt if needed, depending on their SDI. It's also a great option for getting back to center stage when under corner pressure.
If you can consistently AI bair from ledge then please link me a video of you doing so lmao.
I love AI bair, but I **** it up way too much.

ShiftingShadows28

Smash Journeyman
Considering some options from a ledge grab position:

I like let go of ledge->dj uair ->re-grab ledge vs firefox that has gone low, but not too low. Catches a lot of angles and can force a tech, in which case you are back to the ledge in time to response in most cases.
I like drop away from ledge ->bair/uair (without jumping, you can dj then upB to recover after) to catch firefox that is awkwardly close to you after you have grabbed the ledge.
Finally, I have recently been playing in 20xx and you can do a ledge hop dair that hits below the stage, I think it is pretty good!

Top Bottom