• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edgeguarding Ike

CrazyCupofJoe

Smash Cadet
Don't know if this is the best place to post but seeing as it deals with Ike, I figured it can't hurt.

Hey guys I don't play as Ike but my friend does. I find his recovery so hard to defend against. Of course its not the best horizontal recovery but its tricky, its just barely horizontal but it messes me up a lot. I play Lucas and Mario. Most times I hog ledge but that only works probably half of the time otherwise he just barely lands on stage. Anyways how can I punish his recovery or make sure he doesn't return? Any help would be appreciated!

Y-L

Smash Champion
If he barely makes it on stage just do ledge hop attack to punish. Make sure you wait to wavedash off so you don't get hit by the Quickdraw attack.

CrazyCupofJoe

Smash Cadet
If he barely makes it on stage just do ledge hop attack to punish. Make sure you wait to wavedash off so you don't get hit by the Quickdraw attack.
I was mainly talking about aether. Another problem with it that I forgot to mention was that sometimes if I grab the ledge, unless its frame perfect, he will hit me with it normally on the way down and either take me with him or knock me off of the ledge. Anyway to stop this?

metroid1117

Smash Master
Aether is difficult to edgeguard because Ike throws Ragnell into the air and has a spinning hitbox, but it's deceivingly vulnerable - during the last spin before Ike plunges to the ground, he has no hitbox around him at all. In terms of frame data, it's frames 59-63, a 5-frame window. In terms of numbers that may not sound like much, but in practice it's not too hard to reliably punish an Ike who fails to sweetspot the edge; Fox and MK can both run over to the edge and DSmash Ike out of up+B (Fox is particularly nasty because he can then jump out and shinespike to complete the kill). Although this is frame data from 2.6, Lucas' BAir hasn't been changed in 3.0 and is very disjointed, so it's possible to short-hop BAir and then fastfall the last hit onto Ike as he tries to grab the edge. Mario can probably BAir in a similar fashion or angled-down FSmash to edgeguard Aether.

CrazyCupofJoe

Smash Cadet
What about a Lucas D-air? Would it spike him? Also can you PK thunder him out of it at any point other than the apex or will Aether just go through it?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Dair is a network I believe and not as effective. Idk how effective pkt is considering it knocks them upwards and the startup has light armor.
Also something to keep in mind is with proper spacing some chars fsmashes are very effective against it as its pretty hard to sweet spot. Lucas's OU dsmash seems like it would be effective.

Top Bottom