• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edgeguarding Help

0m3n5150

Smash Journeyman
I can't find any guides to edgeguarding with Falco.
I've had people tell me to drop off ledge -> bair -> recover, but I fall too far before I can use my upB...
Please help :)

SCOTU

Smash Hero
i don't think falco can actually do that, it's a fox thing... (maybe he can, i've never tried it). King Malice wanted to make a vid on adv. edgegaurding w/ falco once, but he doesn't have vid equipment. If he wants to buy the time off me at the next smashfest, i'll gladly capture edit one for him. (you should contact him for advice if he never makes it, i find it really hard to get around that sh*t).

Repryx

Smash Champion
Press Back to jump to bair its way better and If your gonna go low Its probably better to press down then jump> Dair on the stage so he kinda Spikes the edge and anything near it

HAKU

Smash Apprentice
You can Dsmash when they almost caught the edge (if you know what i mean) Fsmash works as well but i find the ledge hopped Bair the best. While doing it i press down and jump quickly and use the C-stick to do the Bair (doesn't have to be C-stick) then UpB back to the edge but remember don't fastfall while you're doing the Bair otherwise you'll fall like a meteor

SCOTU

Smash Hero
While it is different for every character out there, ledge hopping to an aerial is usually what Falco does.

Search "Edgeguarding" under Technical Stuff II
I was talking about the ledgedropped bair, not ledgehopped, since that's what i thought he was talking about.

The ledgedropped shine turnaround>dair is a good one. Jump back toward the stage facing outward (due to the shine turnaround). Note, you don't have to (or are even supposed to) hit with the shine, it's just to turn you around.

Zeron

Smash Apprentice
'course, I wasn't talking to you in particular, Scotu. :D
I'd think that if you dropped from the ledge with a bair, Falco would fall too fast and would either die from hitting the bottom boundry or be out of reach from the ledge with his Up+B.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
ok so LD -> shine turnaround -> jump+dair+DI towards stage?
Yes. But you're confused on the term DI. You aren't being hit so you aren't using DI. You're using aerial control, aka, you're jumping back towards the stage.

This makes it so the hitbox is farther from the stage.

0m3n5150

Smash Journeyman
oh well i thought it was the same whether you are being hit or just moving, but anyways, thanks.
now i have some new ways to keep them off the stage ^.^

muesli

Smash Journeyman
Germany, Waldkirch (nobody knows this place)!
I can't find any guides to edgeguarding with Falco.
Maybe i can help u with these few tricks.

To edgeguard your enemy is not really difficult, there are many ways to do that here some examples:

Your opponent is trying to get back to stage you can do these and some not listed tricks.

1. To only hang on the edge you can do a SH or a FH ( better SH) so grab the edge, wait as long as your enemy trys to get back. By some attacks like Bair of Fox, Falco, Dr.Mario... you had to climb up the edge while you doing this your immune to all attacks and your opponent is not able to grab the edge. This must be timed, but with a little practice you can master it.

2. Another way to grab the edge you run towards the edge and let Falco fall down but only a bit then do B+left/right to grab the edge if you are high/low enough to do it.

3. The best and fastest and maybe the difficultes way I know is to dash backwards with your back to the edge. This is usable by all characters (i hope :) didn't try it out). Falco will hop a little close to the edge and grab it. There is the risk if u do the dash bad that he will L-Cancel in the air and fall down without grabbing the edge. You can combine this move with shine for more style or to hit ur enemy in the air and to start an attack from the edge.

4. If you opponent is able to get back to the stage without needing grab the edge your mostly forced to do and attack to hit him more away-> if you need to do this you just press the Control-Stick down to fall down and direct after that you should press X/Y to jump, now you are able to do all air attacks Air- down/forward/backwards/neutral or up to kill him. But you don't need to press the Control-Stick down you also can do a shine and hop after it to attack if its easier for u.

5. The last trick i suggest is to do nothing. Wait on the stage ( you can drink an coffee :p) and wait until he grabs the edge then do immediately and Dsmash to kill him. If you hit!

I really hope i could help you with this very little guide to edgeguard.
p.S.: No flames if there are some gramatically or some spelling mistakes in the text my english is not he best. ;)

muesli :)

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Jumping off the edge into a bAir and recovering with the FireBird should work if you're not TOO far off the edge.
It was working for me earlier.

MrBitter

Smash Apprentice
ledgehop meaning SH off ledge -> dair?
No...

While hanging from the edge, ledgehop and then d-air. Similar input to LH double laser.

Hanging from edge...
- Down
- Up
- D-Air

Also try using B-Airs in the same fashion.

Don't forget your basic d-smash and f-smash to players who don't sweet spot.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
Easiest would probably be to fall --> immediately jump --> Dair --> Up-B.

Or, just SHHFL your Dair near the edge.

edgeswipe21

Smash Journeyman
i always do #4 from muesli's post above and some time shine cancel spike, but thats just for show :). Its probably ur best, and most effective option.

terr13

Smash Journeyman
Falco has a few options for edguarding, although he's not the best.

1.) Dsmash them
2.) SHFFL Dair
3.) Low ledge hop Dair, that covers the edge
4.) Ledge hop Bair re-grab, jump up and out with a Bair, and then come back to get the edge, watch BS vs. Ken
5.) Stalling on the edge, force them to go on to the stage, and ledgehop Bair.
6.) Rising Dair or Nair, walk off the stage, jump and immediately do Nair or Dair to block their recovery.
7.) Ftilt, angled downwards.
8.) Suicide Dair

Obviously the most effective is the suicide Dair, so you should do that all the time.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
No, he's completely serious. Look at shiz. The running off the edge and dair-ing is practically termed "Shiz Sliding". This is great if you're at high %s and they are at low. Also great for a last stock KO (esp if you're ahead). But seriosly, it's the hardest to survive if you're hit by it.

edgeswipe21

Smash Journeyman
o yes ofcourse, but not the best choice, could end up in a suicide not a suicide kill. i guess good at certain poitns if u can pull it off but i don't think its necessary.

terr13

Smash Journeyman
Well, I was just kidding, the safest one is probably just Dsmashing, since you really can't screw that up and die. Suicide Dairing is not that bad if you can get a stock advantage, or you're pretty confident you won't die from it. I know that sounds a little stupid that suiciding doesn't kill you , but sometimes when you suicide Dair someone, their Up-B well hit you and allow you to get back on the stage. For example, Fox is Firefoxing off the stage, jump off Dair, his Up-B burns you and then you can Firebird back onto the stage. Yay!

By the way, I think you can actually Ledge-drop Bair and make it back onto the stage., although it is completely useless. You'll barely make it back on, and the hit box for it is not very large, compared to a drop rising Bair.

edgeswipe21

Smash Journeyman
yes thats what i do most of the time and it works, rising b air can also be done even when person about to land on stage.

Top Bottom