• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edgeguarding characters that stay low then sweetspot the ledge?

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
Really, I've been trying. FLUDD usually won't touch them, and if it does, only a little, but not enough to push them far. The cape isn't really much of an option here.

Seems like the only thing I can (and should) do is probably fireball, fall, U-air/cape and jump back. That is, if I could make it back alive.

Think I should start doing that? I'm really asking this because my Ike-using friend hates FLUDD so much he has to resort to risking his stock by staying low.

Help greatly appreciated. =)

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
You can edgehog or drop down while they're drifting to the bottom of the stage and cape them. Getting below the stage is quite specific and deadly when going against Mario.

It's also never a bad thing to use your aerials as those will always work as well.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
There's a few things you can do if your opponent is trying to sweetspot:

1. Edgehog, you can also use your cape and Up B to stall on the ledge as long as you like

2. Try using FLUDD to force him away from the ledge, which means you might have to chase them off-stage with it

3. Use fireballs

4. Use the downwards cape glide to quickly chase an opponent trying to recover from below or use the normal cape glide to harass more horizontal recoveries

5. Use the cape teleport which goes through sweetspot invincibility, the timing is really, really, really, really hard though

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Edgeguarding characters that stay low and then sweetspot the edge...

Pikachu...LOL!

If you can figure out a way to edgeguard a Pikachu who does that, let me know. I main Pikachu and I have no idea how you would edgeguard me when I do that.

PKNintendo

Smash Master

Pikachu...LOL!

If you can figure out a way to edgeguard a Pikachu who does that, let me know. I main Pikachu and I have no idea how you would edgeguard me when I do that.
Wow, your conceited when it comes to Pikachu. You didn't have to say Lol. And we know you main Pikachu. Gawd.

Anyway TC, the other's pretty much covered it.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord

Pikachu...LOL!

FLUDD and cape; FLUDD will force you up if you recover vertically at all, and Mario can cape Pikachu's quick atk. Also, you can use all the other stuff I listed too.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Wow, your conceited when it comes to Pikachu. You didn't have to say Lol. And we know you main Pikachu. Gawd.

Anyway TC, the other's pretty much covered it.
I lol'd because I felt like the title of this thread was speaking directly to Pikachu users.
And I'm not conceited. Every Pikachu who does this is difficult to edgeguard, not just myself.

FLUDD and cape; FLUDD will force you up if you recover vertically at all, and Mario can cape Pikachu's quick atk. Also, you can use all the other stuff I listed too.
I don't think FLUDD will connect with a Pikachu who recovers to the edge from below the stage.
As for the cape, you'd have to jump out slightly below the stage to meet a recovering Pikachu and time it absolutely perfectly. If you fail, which you most likely will, the Pikachu will QA through you and you'll fall even further below the stage and probably fall to your death.

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
I wish I could try it out on a Pikachu too, too bad the only ones who pick Pikachu here do it to annoy me with his down special and down smash. *$*&#%&*#*&%. Not when I end up using Ness, though. =P

But I'll ask someone if I get the chance. IF.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I wish I could try it out on a Pikachu too, too bad the only ones who pick Pikachu here do it to annoy me with his down special and down smash. *$*&#%&*#*&%. Not when I end up using Ness, though. =P

But I'll ask someone if I get the chance. IF.
I suppose we could play sometime.

Matt07

Smash Master
When your hanging on the edge, and you use the Cape, and re-grab are you sure you get invinicibility frames. Every time I tried this, I got stage spiked by Metaknight. Maybe I'm doing it too early?

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
I don't think FLUDD will connect with a Pikachu who recovers to the edge from below the stage.
As for the cape, you'd have to jump out slightly below the stage to meet a recovering Pikachu and time it absolutely perfectly. If you fail, which you most likely will, the Pikachu will QA through you and you'll fall even further below the stage and probably fall to your death.
Meh, FLUDD isn't hard to connect with at all and Mario's cape glide gives him a lot of options to cape Pikachu; Pikachu's quick atk is good but it isn't that hard to gimp. Anyway, I don't see why Mario would fall to his death if he misses caping.

When your hanging on the edge, and you use the Cape, and re-grab are you sure you get invinicibility frames. Every time I tried this, I got stage spiked by Metaknight. Maybe I'm doing it too early?
During the brief period the cape is out you are vulnerable.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Cape stall or N-air is awesome here.

Cape makes edgehogging easy. N-air lasts a long time, has good priority, and hits people horizontally.

Vs Ike, I dunno, I've seen awesome results from going behind him and Caping him. You should usually try to chase him offstage and intercept him because he usually can't hit you back due to his air game being so slow.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Cape stall or N-air is awesome here.

Cape makes edgehogging easy. N-air lasts a long time, has good priority, and hits people horizontally.
Ah, the Nair, I love using it against the spacies. Also, Mario's Up B is a good ledge stall move too.

Top Bottom