• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

'Edge jump' IASA?

Lord Yawgmoth

Smash Apprentice
In melee, there wasn't really a point to pressing the jump button when you were on the edge, because you had to wait for the jumping animation to be over before doing anything.
Most people found out that they could drop from the edge, and then quickly jump to circumvent this. In regards to Zelda this meant quick lightning kicks from the edge, and this tactic is still viable.

I'm not sure how many people already know this, and I am sorry if I am just repeating information, but it seems some moves can cancel out the "jumping" animation from pressing the jump button on the edge. I tried it with alot of characters, but Zelda's seems the most fluid. Her B-moves work the best, as they seem to stop momentum.

So it works Like this:
Hanging on edge,
press jump,
press B/forward B/Up B.

You will basically appear standing on the stage doing the move. The timing for this is different for all of her Specials. (Nayru's Love should wait a fraction of a second, Din's you should start right away.)

Again my apologies if this is just excessive imformation.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Do you mean that Zelda almost teleports to the stage and starts her special or does she clearly jump and cancel the momentum? (read: does she rise above the stage or just start standing on it?)

Lord Yawgmoth

Smash Apprentice
>.<
I wish I could post videos.

She doesn't 'teleport', its just the initial part of the jump is so fast that while you can see it happen, it is over really quick with the end result being zelda standing on the stage doing her special move of choice.

If you do the special move at the right time, it'll cut off a bit more of the animation.

---->Furthermore, I didn't check this part, but it seems you might be able to go directly from the stage grab invincibility frames into the nayru's love invicibility frames. Again I did not test whether this was truly completely invincible.

Edit: She does not rise above the stage if you time it right.

TheLake

Smash Master
I noticed this works the same with wolfs over B too. Sooort of neat find...might have some ledge returning propertys.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
I noticed this works the same with wolfs over B too. Sooort of neat find...might have some ledge returning propertys.
Surprise edge attacks anyone? Surely it will be useful since it´s sometimes hard to get up from the ledge (for me at least) so any new options are welcomed.

Lord Yawgmoth

Smash Apprentice
Is there any chance that using Forward B off the ledge will lead to A) the attack failing or B) you falling to your death?
I have never been sucessful in killing myself in this manner, it really pulls you onto the stage. It is the easiest to time out of the three, as the timing calls for it to be instantaneous.

Nayru's love, when initiated early can get you stuck to the edge if you happen to time it wrong, however you will still have your Farore's Wind to save you, unlike Dins-fire.

KOdEx

Smash Cadet
i can see this being useful its not like in melee where you have to drop and waste your second jump to attack from the ledge you still have both jumps in the event you do get hit. If you're quick enough you can also position the nayru's love to fling them off the edge also. This only works with a characters specials(results may vary from special to special), but because nayru's love slows down any momentum you have and has little to no start up time she hugs the stage. Been messing around with other characters Yoshi's down b from the ledge is a pretty easy example of what the technique actually is.

In melee if you jumped from the ledge(pressing x, y or up) you couldn't cancel the jump with a special or at all.

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
This was a pretty cool tip, thanks.
The immediate turn around with nayru's is tough to pull off, but it's satisfying to go from hanging on the cliff to throwing your opponent off in a fraction of a second haha.

The thing that is hard about it, is turning around and pressing B sometimes I will throw a dinjin instead.

Here is a ledge-hanging technique I invented that will likely get you killed haha.
On a map such as final destination, you can drop off the ledge, jump underneath of it and do a uair through the platform to hitsomebody standing on top of it. Then float back over and FW straight up to grab the ledge again.

It's tricky to pull off, but very unexpected.

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
That is actually pretty cool. I always get stuck on the ledge not knowing what to do, A ledgehopped Nayru's could definitely be useful at that point.

And haha, i'll try that, Sfoster

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
That sounds like fun sFoster. Will definitely try it out on my friends XD

And I was just noticing this IASA with FW earlier today. I was having fun jumping and then teleporting straight down onto the ground. This really does leave a WIDE array of recovery from the edge for her. She'll have slight protection, and can place herself in... well, one of 5 spots fairly safely. Be careful though. If you use FW too soon, you'll teleport yourself straight down and out.

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
I was trying to use this nayru's hop today on a pit that was edge guarding me with arrows.
Couldn't quite get it off in time to reflect them though

S2

Smash Lord
Good topic, this stuff is cool.

When I get some free time i'm going to boot up training mode and see if I can't perfect some new mindgame options for getting back on the edge.

The turnaround Nayru's thing is cool.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Seriously, I'm loving this thing. My friends didn't expect it at first, and when they did, they rarely came to the edge to meet me XD

Top Bottom