• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edge-Hogging in Smash 4?!

SupremeSuperiorStick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sohaii
So I was just playing a few matches of For Glory this morning,and something interesting happened:

Ganondorf clearly fell right past the Ledge, without trumping it from me.

The only way this could have happened was if he Fast-Falled, however it's evident that he was falling in the regular speed.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I don't have a DS to test this, but if you hold down before you can fastfall and keep it held you can probably forfeit ledge grab that way. That + a stoner moment for the ganon is my best theory for what i saw.

Einyuri

Smash Cadet
What Pops said is true. If you hold down while falling you will NOT grab onto any ledges. You pass them by and continue to fall. However if you attempt to recover and not hold down you'll be able to grab onto the ledge just fine and contest the ledge if the enemy is holding it.

SupremeSuperiorStick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sohaii
I don't have a DS to test this, but if you hold down before you can fastfall and keep it held you can probably forfeit ledge grab that way. That + a stoner moment for the ganon is my best theory for what i saw.
What Pops said is true. If you hold down while falling you will NOT grab onto any ledges. You pass them by and continue to fall. However if you attempt to recover and not hold down you'll be able to grab onto the ledge just fine and contest the ledge if the enemy is holding it.
But wouldn't holding down simply start the Fast Fall? In this game, a small spark indicates a Fast Fall, which didn't happen. Plus it looks like he's falling at his regular speed. Shouldn't this mean he didn't hold down?

EDIT: Sorry I read your message wrong. I'll try that out and see if it works.

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I think I see the spark for fastfalling at 0:07, not sure since the electricity is also covering him and the skipped frames.

misterOWAIN33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MR_FA1L
3DS FC
2294-5361-2433
It seems like one of two things.
1) Invincibility Frames.
2) Lag.
I've tried this out, the invincibility frame thing doesn't work.
You know what they say: guns don't kill people, lag does.

Einyuri

Smash Cadet
Okay. Here's a theory as to why it doesn't show the fast fall spark or why his speed doesn't increase as if he were to free-fall.

When holding down and going towards an edge, you will NOT grab onto it. that much is certain. However perhaps he was holding down when he was in the middle of his up-b's animation, causing him to not get a fast-fall spark, or fast fall for that matter.. but still not grab the ledge as if he were free-falling, if that makes sense.

SupremeSuperiorStick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sohaii
Okay. Here's a theory as to why it doesn't show the fast fall spark or why his speed doesn't increase as if he were to free-fall.

When holding down and going towards an edge, you will NOT grab onto it. that much is certain. However perhaps he was holding down when he was in the middle of his up-b's animation, causing him to not get a fast-fall spark, or fast fall for that matter.. but still not grab the ledge as if he were free-falling, if that makes sense.
That's quite possible. I'll check it out later.

Top Bottom