• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

edge hog trouble

andres88

Smash Rookie
whenever i get sent away, after i try to come back, the other player will just edge hog and i cant use the theter recovery, and i am to far away to use bdown. what could i do to stop the other player from edge hogging?

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
If they don't have invicibilty frames and you actually get under FD UP B them and pull them to the grave with you..I do it every chance I get...though most of the time they have invinicbilty frames >_>

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I know that's basic, obvious, etc, but it's really one of the things that you just have to think while playing. Do whatever it takes to avoid getting into a position where a tether is necessary.

One thing to remember is that ZSS is active after her down-b, she doesn't go into freefall. In very rare cases, you may find it better to use that in the air while you are DIing back just to cover a bit more ground. It's usually not enough to matter though.

It's best to try to use the stage to your advantage. Remember the down-b also has automatic wall-kick properties. If possible, down-b into the stage and you will wall kick off of it and jump up a bit, possibly into a position to spike your opponent with the kick, since they shouldn't have invincibility frames by then. That doesn't work on all stages though, and if you are too low it won't work at all.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Would it be possible to bait them into..a suicide attack?

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Would it be possible to bait them into..a suicide attack?
Probably. But I think experienced players will grow to expect things like that if they become common at all. Heck, I am sure some people who know ZSS wouldn't fall for it already.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
If you can get close enough, tap them with a neutral Special. It forces them to release the ledge and you can grab it. If I'm wrong about that, you can still grab them with your tether and force them down.

Orichalcum

Smash Journeyman
Like said before if all fails use your UPb to pull them to death together with you. You can allways to down b followed by a kick on the edge. In most cases it will send the oppponent down aswell. Also if you got send really far away and you know you cant make it try jumping and Up b jumping to the stage right away. The opponent will most likely let go of the stage and tries to intercept you. Depending on the enemy air dodge onto the stage or try to hit it with a nair, or try grabbing edge with a forward b. this worked sometimes for me

James Sparrow

Smash Master
If you learn to DI properly (DI side knockbacking moves up so you're recovering at a higher altitude) you can almost always recover with just your side b. Your tether should be a last resort or mindgame. I have little trouble recovering, but rather get edge ****ed when i am being aggressive on the edge for edgegaurds.

doctorjuice

Smash Cadet
Mainly i just watch myself and make sure I don't put myself in a position where I can be edgehogged, but for the times when I'm in a position like that, well that's why I learn techniques to counter it. Try to make an extra effort towards not putting yourself in a position like that and it goes a long way.

Top Bottom