• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edge Guarding

Knightish

Smash Rookie
NNID
Knightish
So I've had the Wii U version since launch but I've found that I can't edge guard correctly. Whenever I throw out an attack everyone just air dodges it and goes on to recover. When trying to improve this I noticed that Marth has a significantly better recovery than in Melee (which is what I primarily play). So what are some things I can do with this new found air time? (Repost due to my own idiocy and noobness to forums)

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Be mindful of where you and your opponent are, and keep the pressure going. Since your Up B is hard to beat if they're infront of you, it also has the potential to stage spike your opponent as well. Should they dodge the first one, double jump and follow up once more. BAir recovers faster than FAir, but as soon as you BAir, your attack direction changes if you hold it long enough, so experiment with that I'd say.

Your BAir and FAir will likely be your tools of choice from above (UAir from below), while personally I find a mix of those plus the occassional DB setup mid air works wonders on opponents least expecting it. Since there's no edgehogging tactics, you have to be a bit more creative with how you keep them off. Another option is one that Darklink just posed on, and that's stealing the ledge, then BAiring your opponent when they're forced off. It's not 100% guaranteed to hit and keep them off, but knowing your options are always good.

Hopefully these help ya out dude.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Everything said above. F-air and B-air are great edgeguarding tools, with excellent range. D-air can be tricky to land, but it's great when they're below you (especially if you land the meteor hitbox).

Top Bottom