• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edge guarding tethers

GmJn

Smash Ace
One word, reverse hit box of Ike's get up attack below 100%, it screws over tether recoveries.

GmJn

Smash Ace
As they are in that pop up animation when you ledge grab a tether recovery, when you hit with the reverse hit of get up atack it sends them back off stage. Do it twice and they're dead.

GmJn

Smash Ace
Yeah it is really funny, must suck to be a tether recovery.

GmJn

Smash Ace
I hate taking advantage of this kind of stuff, but as Ike players we know what it's like to have really hard matchups so let's use what we've got.

WhinoTheRhino

Smash Apprentice
YO CHECK IT: I just tested this, and while interesting, it is EXTREMELY unreliable, and way less useful than what you said. When it does hit, it sends at a very useful angle. However, to hit the getup attack you have to start it before the tether user reels in. Since CPUs always reel in immediately, it isn't too difficult to getup attack as they use the tether, and that might be why you thought this was so good. And while I wish this technique was as advertised, any good player will mixup when they reel in, making this technique extremely situational. The only time this technique would be useful is if you absolutely know when the opponent will reel in, so you can getup attack before they start the reel in. If you mistime it and they stay on the ledge, you just gave up an extremely advantageous position.

GmJn

Smash Ace
YO CHECK IT: I just tested this, and while interesting, it is EXTREMELY unreliable, and way less useful than what you said. When it does hit, it sends at a very useful angle. However, to hit the getup attack you have to start it before the tether user reels in. Since CPUs always reel in immediately, it isn't too difficult to getup attack as they use the tether, and that might be why you thought this was so good. And while I wish this technique was as advertised, any good player will mixup when they reel in, making this technique extremely situational. The only time this technique would be useful is if you absolutely know when the opponent will reel in, so you can getup attack before they start the reel in. If you mistime it and they stay on the ledge, you just gave up an extremely advantageous position.
Which is why you'd use this as a mixup against a player. You stay on ledge till they get up then you do an aerial off to punish, if they're smart they'll start reeling in quickly at some point. Take advantage of their intelligence, and it is hilarious to pull of. I did get this on a player by the way but only tried it once during the match.

Top Bottom