• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edge Guarding Rosalina and Luma as Sheik

Shado

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pershado
3DS FC
0018-1402-9492
I have most of edge guarding Rosaluma down but I just want some opinions on the optimal way to edge guard her. I have trouble timing Bair off the ledge and I occasionally use Fair or Bouncing fish but I usually opt to use Nair to keep a hitbox near the ledge in case they decide to recover at an odd time and the hitbox of Nair is pretty large so it covers the ledge if she decides to Recovery against the wall. But are there other and possibly better ways to edge guard her? I know Grenade is a possibility but its not easy to predict where she's going and place the grenade there

Shado

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pershado
3DS FC
0018-1402-9492
So I see that Tree made a video on edge guarding and aerial potential already X.X but hopefully as the meta progressed we found new and exciting ways to edge guard :D

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I use two methods primarily if she aims to sweetspot the ledge, which is usually what I commit to and they can get away with a high recovery on-stage.

The first is to throw out a nair hitbox, because any hitbox at all will disrupt Rosalina.

The other, and the more punishing one, is to grab the ledge, anticipate when she's gonna up B and a bit before that quickly drop down and do bouncing fish on the stage (works on all stages bar Lylat I'm sure). Sheik will hit the stage's wall, bounce back, and you can aim the 2nd hit on reaction and punish her recovery. This also works against (Dark) Pit, Olimar, and DHD.

_Tree

The no-more hero
NNID
DekuBaba
3DS FC
1891-1276-1936
ArikadoX got most of the main ones. Nair will be your Rosalina edge-guarding BNB 90% of the time. It's easy to use, serves it's purpose well and can be chained into quite a few other moves. F-air and B-air will have a bit more punch to them, but are harder to hit due to being out for a smaller amount of time. U-air can be useful for catching a Rosalina going over you if you accidentally go too deep. D-air can be used while on the stage to spike a Rosa coming up over the ledge.

Vanish and Bouncing fish are your most powerful options, but require very good timing as their abundant recovery frames could mean a botched edge-guard if you miss (which is very bad for Sheik). They rely mostly on making a good read, which isn't too complex in theory, but is much easier said than done.

Something that isn't utilized nearly as much as it should are aerial needles (which can lead to BF). When throwing out a full clip of aerial needles, you are essentially putting up a very large, one second wall that covers a large amount of angling options for Rosa. Just say Rosa is low, near the bottom right blast-zone. You've read her movements and know when she's gonna pop her recovery, but are unsure of what angle she'll do it at. She could go slightly up to go onto the stage directly, or aim for the ledge for the invincibility. Neutral air, while fantastic for edge-guarding, can only cover one single area at a time (the area that the N-air hitbox covers). A full clip of aerial needles, however, covers a comparatively large area, as the needles shoot down in a very long and linear trajectory. This allows you to hit both of the aforementioned angling options, meaning that a well-read recovery is almost guaranteed to be edge-guarded. To add insult to injury, rising aerial needles can lead directly into Bouncing Fish, which coupled with the near blast-zone offstage area and Rosa's light weight, is basically a guaranteed KO.

Top Bottom