• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edge Guarding Petition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auddy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Auddy07
Is there a petition out there to have the edge guarding to be more like Melee's rather than Brawl's? The fact that someone can be on the edge and the other person be able knock them off just by being next to the edge is very idiotic to me.

MrTeddyBear

Smash Apprentice
Brawl and Melee have the same ledge hogging, what are you talking about.

I also find it funny that you want to have that old ledge hogging system back, given that you main Little Mac.

Last edited:

Auddy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Auddy07
I'd rather have Smash be competitive and not casual :p. On Melee you could hold onto a ledge and the other person could not get onto the ledge if you were occupying it. This is not so on Brawl or Smash U. Also, I only played Smash U for about a week, due to it being too floaty and/or being too much like Brawl (which I hate haha). I want the old Melee system of edge guarding to be implemented into Smash U with an update, then I will start playing it again :)

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
This is not so on Brawl or Smash U.
You must not have played Brawl, at all. Ledge trumping only exists in 4.

Also lol at believing any smash isn't competitive.

Last edited:

Ohsm

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo will never ever make a game like Melee with Sakurai as head of the development team, so any petition to make Smash4 more competitive would be a waste of time.
Hopefully he finally steps back and lets someone with a proper mindset duing his job (imo),
but anyway if you dislike Smash4 for the above reasons, a good solution would be to just play Melee.

Last edited:

Auddy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Auddy07
a good solution would be to just play Melee.
That's exactly what I do haha. I just want Smash U to be like Melee (faster, less floaty, etc). Brawl was a huge disappointment and Smash U could be great if they would change some things. Thanks for the input guys :)

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
Is there a petition out there to have the edge guarding to be more like Melee's rather than Brawl's? The fact that someone can be on the edge and the other person be able knock them off just by being next to the edge is very idiotic to me.
you could mod the game yourself and release a Project M type release

Or just, play Melee/PM/Brawl

Ohsm

Smash Apprentice
That's exactly what I do haha. I just want Smash U to be like Melee (faster, less floaty, etc). Brawl was a huge disappointment and Smash U could be great if they would change some things. Thanks for the input guys :)
Just out of curiosity, why do you think that Brawl was a huge disappointment but Smash 4 could be great with some changes?

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Nintendo will never ever make a game like Melee with Sakurai as head of the development team, so any petition to make Smash4 more competitive would be a waste of time.
Hopefully he finally steps back and lets someone with a proper mindset duing his job (imo),
but anyway if you dislike Smash4 for the above reasons, a good solution would be to just play Melee.
Define "proper" mindset.

Let me also mention that if you patched out all the tech that Melee has and Brawl doesn't, Melee would be about as slow as Brawl. It's been tested before.

I'd rather have Smash be competitive and not casual :p. On Melee you could hold onto a ledge and the other person could not get onto the ledge if you were occupying it. This is not so on Brawl or Smash U. Also, I only played Smash U for about a week, due to it being too floaty and/or being too much like Brawl (which I hate haha). I want the old Melee system of edge guarding to be implemented into Smash U with an update, then I will start playing it again :)
So you want to be able to invalidate more than half the cast with a frame 8 instakill offstage? Be my guest. A lot of people loved the removal of ledgehogging for a reason: It destroyed the viability of over half the cast in every game it was in except 64.
Also every single game out there is competitive.

Last edited:

Ohsm

Smash Apprentice
Define "proper" mindset.
I don't have a proper definition (pun intended) but I'll try to explain why I think that Sakurai's mindset doesn't feel right to me.
His "everybody should win regardless of skill level" approach just doesn't work, he dumbed down Smash4 as much as possible to avoid that advanced players can crush casuals with wavecheating and lame canceling, but this idea is just flawed to beginn with, even if the game would be only one button, the more advanced player would still win.

So why not throw this mindset out off the window and make something like Melee?
Note, it doesn't have to be Melee 2.0, not the slightest.

"Easy to start but hard to master", for me personally that would be a great design formula, give the players the choice to choose between just playing and having fun or go serious and give them some advanced stuff to strive for.

To make it clear, I don't want the next Smash game to be made just for competition but on the other hand I don't want it to be dumbed down.
Why not just a healthy middleground?
But with Sakurai this will forever be a dream :Biblethump:

Let me also mention that if you patched out all the tech that Melee has and Brawl doesn't, Melee would be about as slow as Brawl. It's been tested before.
No offence, I don't understand why you wrote this sentence?

Last edited:

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
Is this a troll thread? Am I being trolled?

Guys, I think I'm being trolled.

Last edited:

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Ledge hogging had to be removed to accommodate 8-player Smash. Can anyone honestly imagine eight players fighting for the same ledge the old way?

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Well I guess you'll never be playing Smash 4 then...

Also your lack of Brawl knowledge is showing, Brawl has the same ledge mechanics as Melee.
So why not throw this mindset out off the window and make something like Melee?
Note, it doesn't have to be Melee 2.0, not the slightest.
Sakurai did make something like Melee, it's called Brawl. And he made a sequel called Smash 4. Fans also made a modification of Brawl, called Project M. That's 3 games like Melee. Choose whichever you like most. I chose the Smash 4/PM route.

Akira213

Smash Cadet
I think the new ledge mechanics are better, but that they are coming off as bad because between the large kill boxes and strong recoveries in Smash 4 the offstage game has become more irrelevant and characters that were especially effective at gimping like Jiggs were indirectly nerfed as a result. I'd be more interested in seeing recoveries nerfed if anything, I understand the necessity of comeback mechanics but they feel too lenient in this game.

Then again I main Marth so asking for a buff to the gimping game might be a bit biased :)

RayNoire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RayNoire
Why not? I don't mind Smash 4's ledge, but I do like Melee's.
Edgeguarding is much more inevitable and anticlimactic in Melee. Sm4sh has a good balance of danger and reasonable odds of recovery. It gives the offstage game much more hype, and makes the reward of exciting plays like spikes much greater.

The only problem is that right now most competitive players don't take advantage of the options they do have, so recovering seems much easier than it should be.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Of course there's a petition to make (insert Smash game here) play more like Melee. Whether you like or dislike ledge trumping, you can't deny that it lends itself better to offstage play than the previous edgehogging mechanic. IMO, the ledge mechanics of Smash 4 require only minor tweaks to go from "really good" to "really amazing" (increase planking limit to 5 times per landing, slightly decrease magnet size)

The only problem is that right now most competitive players don't take advantage of the options they do have, so recovering seems much easier than it should be.
Thank you, 2-stock meta.

Auddy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Auddy07
Yeah, my knowledge of Brawl is not great. I played it when it first came out, hated it, then only played Minus from that point on, so my memory of how it worked is skewed. Having said that, I do know that you could hold a ledge and get a kill like you could in Melee. A combination of that and the characters having stupid auto locking recoveries and not to mention the slow mo floatyness made the games take 10 years to finish (making tourneys lower the stock count). This was all bad imo and SmashU incorporated more of Brawl than I would have liked it to (but at least no more tripping right? haha)

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I don't get this. If you don't want ledge trumping, just go play any game that isn't Smash 4. You have 64, Melee, Brawl, and Project M (or any mod) that you can play.

Ijuka

Smash Ace
what's wrong with ledge trumping? If anything, proper edgeguarding is far more skillful to pull off than in SSBM.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Wut? You can just play Smash 64, Melee or PM if you don't want those edge-guarding mechanics. I actually think it's closer to Melee this time; the ledge changes and better recoveries allow you to do a safer edge-guarding. Less risky, yup, but rewarding in the same way.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
You must not have played Brawl, at all. Ledge trumping only exists in 4.

Also lol at believing any smash isn't competitive.
Well, anything that is player vs. player can be competitive. Competitiveness isn't made or not there in the first place. Even if a Smash game was made to be directed competitive, it just depends on the player whether it's competitive or not.

For example, there are actual Rock, Paper, Scissors championships that are on television. That small game we all played when we were five was considered competitive by few. It may not seem like a game meant for comp. But people do treat it like it's comp.

Sorry for being off-topic, but it's just something I wanted to say...

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
There is no such petition, and even if there was, Nintendo would look at it and toss it in the trash.

Anyway, the Edge Guarding meta has better locations to discuss it, so this thread serves little point so I'll be closing it. Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom