• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Echo Characters with multiple sources (for moves)?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Chrom was announced, and not only that, but his moves seem to take from multiple characters, maybe?
In his moves, we see what looks like jab and f-tilt from Roy, up-b from Ike, and some moves from Marth (or are they just Roy's?)

I might've jumped ahead too much with this one and maybe it's really mostly a Roy clone (?), but maybe that's the question for this thread I guess, lol.
And what's possible from echo characters if they can take moves from different sources.

Here's Chrom's videos to look at and see:

Last edited:

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
You have to give Sakurai credit, and I kick myself for not giving him more faith in making a fighter more original since he has done this in the past. Chrom never stood out as a unique fighter even in his game. It's probably my bias in not liking Chrom as a character/character unit.

Dark Samus was a minor surprise, but the fact that we didn't see her AT was a strong enough hint.

I digress, if you're going to give other characters Ike's signature move, at least give him his sword beams!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The more I looked at the video, the more I see it's mostly Roy, and the Aether-like hit (like Ike's up-B) always follows a hit upwards on the ground, so maybe this is just a smash or what up-b does on the ground.
Now I'm not sure there are any Marth moves in there, maybe I thought it was an Ike echo at first.
Anyway, it's still worth wondering about, but it's not like I thought at first.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Sakurai even mentioned that Dark Samus is different, so you can choose who you want to play as. I'm not sure what he meant by that, aside from the taunts and visuals for Dark Samus' attacks, rolls, dodges, &c. One thing I noticed, however, is Dark Samus appears to have Samus' dash attack. Initially, I thought they changed Samus' dash attack to address the "shinespark" issue, but now it seems Dark Samus was just given Samus' dash attack from SSB4.

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
On the Smash website, Chrom is listed as an echo of Roy. (#25)
I can definitely see a bunch of Roy's moves like his jab, forward tilt, Up smash, and neutral B, along with a move similar to Aether; but like stated before, the jump comes after an initial overhead slice, so it's different from Ike's. It makes sense though, since Chrom can use Aether in FE Awakening. (Even that game's Aether animation is his Final smash.)

So for now, he's a Roy clone minus the fire and probably has the same sword properties as Lucina, and has a semi-clone Ike Up-B

Last edited:

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
Chrom is defined as Roy's echo fighter but he does have Ike's Special-Up. Maybe that "multiple-sources" echo fighters is a solution to replace the Custom Moves feature from Super Smash Bros. 4. I don't know but I find it cool anyway.

KingPinGamez

Smash Apprentice
before Chrom jumps into the air to do the flip (sol) for upB he does a rising slash (Luna). together these moves become Aether.
My guess is that the Luna bit (rising slash) on whiff works exactly like Roy's. On hit it transitions to Sol to complete Aether.

Why?

We have not seen Chrom whiff his upB yet and whenever it hit it always hit at point blank range. We will have to wait and see

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If Princess Hilda gets in, I can see her as a multi-source Echo. She can be an Echo of Zelda with some moves taken from Palutena.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
If Princess Hilda gets in, I can see her as a multi-source Echo. She can be an Echo of Zelda with some moves taken from Palutena.
But it won't happen since Palutena & Zelda's 3D model bones are different (and there are articles too) and they will need more works than for other echo fighters to make it work (because of animation), expect if you are lucky on certain moves. Fire Emblem characters are very similar so it's easy to make those kind of imports.

Top Bottom