• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Eating Peanuts

okor

Smash Apprentice
Is this still in the game? I thought I remembered seeing a thread on this but I can't find it now.

I have watched a few Diddy videos, but I have not seen this in any of them.

I have seen it in his FS, but not from just using his popguns regularly

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
It has to be, sakurai has it on the dojo for a reason. He wouldnt take it out.

Its just that me and everyone else is too busy throwing bannannas to use his not that great peanut gun

Cranberry Rogue

Smash Journeyman
Out of all the Diddy videos I've seen, I've never seen someone eat a peanut. I alwas figured that if you held the B button down to long and let the popgun explode, then that would give you one of your peanuts (it says so on the Dojo, after all), but none of the tutorial videos that I've seen show this either. I mean, they show the gun exploding, but a peanut shell never comes out.

No clue, though. I guess we'll see for ourselves in 21 hours. :)

A2xA

Smash Cadet
Also, if the shell breaks and a peanut pops out, you can apparently eat the peanut.

You recover a little damage when you eat it. Is this for real?

Can someone test this? I'm sure this could be sort of helpful.

paOol

Smash Apprentice
i dont know exactly how to get a peanut to break, but it does NOT break everytime you shoot it.
i think that if you shoot a peanut and the enemy catches it, and you shoot another one back and he throws his peanut at you and they if they hit each other, then they will both break.

a peanut does NOT come out when you hold b until it explodes.

also, i always notice lots of peanuts on the ground AFTER i do my final smash and shoot up everything.

so basically, eating peanuts is still in the game, somoene just has to do some testing on how exactly to get the peanut to crack open.
and you heal about 4-5% per peanut.

Scrubs

Smash Lord
They only appear if you have Food turned on in the Item Switch.

They have to hit or be attacked by your opponent to break open.

And from mucking around with it, it seems that the more you use the popgun the less likely they are to crack open.

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
They only appear if you have Food turned on in the Item Switch.
I'm pretty sure thats not right. I'm almost positive they were appearing when we had items off, which has been most all of my playtime of the game.

They have to hit or be attacked by your opponent to break open.
This makes a lot of sense. It doesn't always work that way though, because they can be grabbed out of the air too.

fallore

Smash Rookie
Doctor T sometimes items will get randomly turned on in online matches, that could explain why you saw them if you were playing online. I'm maining diddy and I've played him a good amount and never seen a peanut but the only item i've ever had on was final smash.

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
I haven't been playing online, just with friends competitively with items turned off. Though I guess y'all are right, because I really haven't seen any. The only time I've seen items recently result from my peanuts was when someone caught one (the full peanut) in midair, which was very rare.

nomnomnom

Smash Cadet
DrT: the difference may be that you just have items set to none rather than having them individually turned off. People are running into the same problem with Dedede's waddledee toss.

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
All items are off lol. Me and my friends absolutely refuse to play with them on. I've played about 3-4 battles where items were on. Two of those were random online battles when I was trying it out to see how it worked.

Are you saying that even though the overall item switch (off/low/med/high) is set to Off, that having individual items turned on can make a difference?

I<3Shiek

Smash Apprentice
It happened to me last night, online.

I had roughly 88% damage, was in the middle of recovering, and I popped a peanut, not charged, and it hit Snake's RPG(Side+B? The one he controls..) and it dropped straight onto the level, I popped up from the ledge, and chomped on it.

Recovered 5-10%

Items were off, all of them. Even smash balls.

And it was on Smashville, during the night of it.

Second time was on FD, online, against Pit, his projectile(arrows) also hit the peanut, and it broke into 2 little peanuts..

These healed for about 2-4%.

Both times I was originally off the ledge while shooting the peanut, and it broke above the ledge.

Any other miniscule details anyone wants to know? ^^

Possible that only other projectiles break peanuts?

okor

Smash Apprentice
I finally saw a couple peanuts today. I also had someone catch it and hit me with it. ):

Mani

Smash Cadet
I have eaten peanuts before, but they seem to be REALLY rare.

I am under the impression that the person you are shooting at must CATCH the peanut (its just a normal "thrown" item) and then throw it for the peanuts. Possibly hitting your peanuts with other items might work too?

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
I am under the impression that the person you are shooting at must CATCH the peanut (its just a normal "thrown" item) and then throw it for the peanuts. Possibly hitting your peanuts with other items might work too?
Actually... I think the only time Peanuts pop open is when they are attacked in mid-flight. So if they hit they're target... or if they are caught in mid-air... you won't see any edible peanuts anyway. Though, if they are caught and thrown, then attacked in mid-air, they would also pop open then.

I'm pretty sure I see them so rarely, is because I simply hardly ever use them. And since I hardly ever use them... my opponents aren't trying to block them with attacks. And they are rarely on the field to begin with. I don't know if this is the same for y'all, but I know I haven't really incorporated them into my game yet.

I ought to just test this sometime. But... theres the part where I'm lazy...

fuzzy4

Smash Cadet
Is this still in the game? I thought I remembered seeing a thread on this but I can't find it now.

I have watched a few Diddy videos, but I have not seen this in any of them.

I have seen it in his FS, but not from just using his popguns regularly
You recover two percent per peanut eaten. It's completely worthless. They're impossible to watch for, almost more impossible to see. The opponent is more able to eat them because they're closer to it. It's just a cute little gimmick of the gun, but ultimately worthless. In my records, for the 77 matches I've played diddy it shows I've recovered 8 percent. I haven't played with items yet. Diddy ftw

WeltallZero

Smash Cadet
After some testing:
Peanuts will appear if and only if the individual Food item is turned on. Which means that setting the item frequency to "none" will not affect them, and they'll still appear.
Peanuts (one or two, rarely zero) appear when the peanut shot is hit in midair, be it with another projectile or an attack. An easy way to test the first is justo to play two Diddys looking at each other and spam B: you'll get lots of peanuts. For the latter, just make Metanight hold A and pepper him with peanut; he becomes a peanut peeling machine. ^^

Also, peanut shots can be easily caught in midair by just jumping and hitting A. Throwing them behaves exactly like a normal peanut shot regarding breaking; it must be hit in midair.

Scrubs

Smash Lord
I knew it.

I have all the items individually turned off. Not just the frequency set to none.

I will have to change this cos it is a cool thing to have in the game.

nomnomnom

Smash Cadet
ahhh, so that must also be why sometimes the games gives you "pity smashballs" even when item are turned off
That only happens with Dedede, he'll randomly pull capsules on the waddledee toss if they're turned on, and out of the capsule smashballs can pop up.

Thanks for the testing welltallzero.

an1bal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anibalt
3DS FC
0018-2664-8234
ahh... this would explain peach's problem pulling out bombs and beam swords.....

Oh hi btw, former peach player here looking for a new main since shes the biggest nerf ever now...

Im considering Diddy / TL

Top Bottom