• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Easy Cyclone Recovery Method

TFO

Smash Cadet
THIS METHOD REALLY WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF2UMlVqNOM
I was having trouble using the B button, so, what you need to do to always get maximum/close to maximum height is this.

1. Make a Name for yourself with the pencil icon under the character picture
2. Go to "OPTIONS"
3. Go to "CONTROLS" then go to the name you just set
4. Set ALL OF THE (Edit: It doesn't have to be all, just the ones you hit when you do this method) the D-Pad controls (up,left,right, and down) to "SPECIAL" instead of the footstool-taunt thingy
5. Place your middle finger (or any finger/thumb that works best for you) at the middle of the D-Pad
6. At the same time, press down on the analog stick and then wiggle your finger on the D-Pad (preferably left to right or top-right to bottom-left)

you should go really high without having to put too much stress on your shoulders/arms by repeatedly pressing that stupid B button!

Last edited:

Smurfymike

Smash Rookie
I just tested this and I actually could not for the life of me get this to work. I don't know if this is just awkward for me cause I just mash B, or maybe i'm not used to mashing anything with my left thumb, however, I wasn't able to get any upward momentum from this. :(

and also, how am I supposed to down taunt kill????? :D

EDIT: I actually just re-read your instructions, and I was able to get upward momentum using my middle finger, however it is a super awkward hand position that I would probably never use in a real match.

Last edited:

TFO

Smash Cadet
A good way that works for me is to put the controller almost in front of your head, put your thumb on the D pad so that the middle of it is on the center, and your thumb-nail is facing to the left, then just tap repeatedly.

your right hand should still be on the right side of the controller while you're doing it, so, you shouldn't have to move your hand back on the controller with this method. Also, for some reason, if you raise the controller higher from your lap, it's easier (for me at least) to his the buttons faster.

Last edited:

XxavierPKRS

Smash Cadet
NNID
Xxavier
I've been trying to make this work for me for a month now. One thing worth noting:

Ingame, there is absolutely NO distinction between, for instance, B set as special, and A set at special. The ONLY thing the game reads is an input for special.

To understand what I'm saying, go into training and set both B and A to special. Hold B, and the fireball comes. Now while STILL HOLDING B, press A... nothing happens.

This applies to all buttons and inputs.

In the scenario of setting all of the Dpad to special to ease mashing for Cyclone, if Dpad-Left is pressed while you have not yet let go of Dpad-Down, the game only reads ONE input for special, NOT two.

For this reason, I only set Dpad-Up and Dpad-Down (or left/right) to special. The input overlap effect can still happen, but not as often if you are careful.

TFO

Smash Cadet
True, but I believe this method is the most lenient on your hands and arms which is why I came up with it (I hadn't seen/read about anyone else doing this) , I also find the D-pad to be much easier to press in quick succession than the B button

XxavierPKRS

Smash Cadet
NNID
Xxavier
Right. I definitely think it works better than mashing B. Just pointing out something to be careful of.

TFO

Smash Cadet
It also means you lose out on taunt spiking
If you only use one portion of the D-Pad with your finger/thumb then you can save the down/up D-Pad control as still a taunt. Also, If you don't use the y button for jumping ( or x), you can set one of them to be your taunt button.

SM_SC11

Smash Cadet
His recovery in brawl may have felt "too good" but it didn't make him top tier by any means, why take away one of the few good things going for him in PM? It doesn't make sense to me. I understand the ability to gain upward momentum without a jump, but this position demonstrated rarely happens, you have to hope for a misfire to get back to the proper horizontal location (meanwhile falling fairly low if you don't misfire) and when you get to the spot you are lucky if you can get back on stage, and fall in a position to be easily stage spiked, meteor smashed, or just generally edge guarded. The vertical height gained in brawls version of the luigi cyclone allows him to have more flexibility in approaches, and experienced luigi players could use this to their advantage in all areas, not just recovering. I hate the PM version, it is so much more predictable, and feels generally bad. This mechanic ruined luigi for me in PM, it completely handicaps luigi and I believe is a large part of the reason he is such a low tier. This single mechanic change took a fun character and made him so garbage he is damn near unplayable

Boomer3d

Smash Journeyman
As a seasoned pm Luigi and known cyclone abuser I disagree.

First, pm has generally displayed a preference for harder recoveries. For Luigi, distance isn't his issue but it is tricking your opponent. Also his missile can sweet spot the ledge, which helps his recovery. His cyclone could gain more height but this isn't brawl. It can be hard and frustrating but it is definitely a very viable recovery option.

Second, cyclone is still a viable approach option and can lead into some pretty good combos. Though in 3.5 the endlag has been increased he still has potential. Also doing 20 percent if both parts hit is pretty devastating. Besides being predictable and an easy punish if abused, cyclone is great for approaching.

It isn't as great as the brawl one but I wouldn't want it to be. Luigi in brawl was also low tier and mostly because his entire match-up depended on one move, his cyclone. If your character depended one a single move then, when you opponent learned to deal with it, your options are severely limited. Luigi in pm is generally better and has a lot more options then his brawl incarnation. Yes his cyclone can be better but it isn't crippling and is still very viable.

SM_SC11

Smash Cadet
As a seasoned pm Luigi and known cyclone abuser I disagree.

First, pm has generally displayed a preference for harder recoveries. For Luigi, distance isn't his issue but it is tricking your opponent. Also his missile can sweet spot the ledge, which helps his recovery. His cyclone could gain more height but this isn't brawl. It can be hard and frustrating but it is definitely a very viable recovery option.

Second, cyclone is still a viable approach option and can lead into some pretty good combos. Though in 3.5 the endlag has been increased he still has potential. Also doing 20 percent if both parts hit is pretty devastating. Besides being predictable and an easy punish if abused, cyclone is great for approaching.

It isn't as great as the brawl one but I wouldn't want it to be. Luigi in brawl was also low tier and mostly because his entire match-up depended on one move, his cyclone. If your character depended one a single move then, when you opponent learned to deal with it, your options are severely limited. Luigi in pm is generally better and has a lot more options then his brawl incarnation. Yes his cyclone can be better but it isn't crippling and is still very viable.
The more I play him, the better I've gotten, it is just hard for me to justify him over mario for my own personal skill level, mario feels a bit stronger in PM, but playing luigi at a midnight launch for smash 4 (my first time playing 3.5) I actually did very well, so I can't complain too much I guess, his fighting mechanics are still solid, aerials are great and firepunch is always a fun option to finish someone with the years of practice across all generations of smash the timing is still second nature, maybe I'll give him more of a second chance if I ever go back and play PM more, but in the mean time, I am enjoying the crap out of him in smash 4... counting down the days to get his amiibo, because I know I've had a lot of fun tweaking game play of my link amiibo, and leveled and re leveled it to 50 to mess around a bit, anyways getting off topic but glad to see weegi doing well regardless of generation

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
The more I play him, the better I've gotten, it is just hard for me to justify him over mario for my own personal skill level, mario feels a bit stronger in PM, but playing luigi at a midnight launch for smash 4 (my first time playing 3.5) I actually did very well, so I can't complain too much I guess, his fighting mechanics are still solid, aerials are great and firepunch is always a fun option to finish someone with the years of practice across all generations of smash the timing is still second nature, maybe I'll give him more of a second chance if I ever go back and play PM more, but in the mean time, I am enjoying the crap out of him in smash 4... counting down the days to get his amiibo, because I know I've had a lot of fun tweaking game play of my link amiibo, and leveled and re leveled it to 50 to mess around a bit, anyways getting off topic but glad to see weegi doing well regardless of generation
Mario plays and feels intuitive...as he should. He's freaking Mario. As such, he was designed around Smash Fundamentals and skills that sorta give a good summary of PM with Projectile Hitcomfirms, wiff punishes on ground, projectile reflections, Wall Jumps, etc.

Luigi is similar in aesthetics, but the opposite in design. His moves and options are all extremely unintuitive which forces the opponent to fight Luigi in a completely different manner than most. These dictating traits include:
Movement: Slow in start up, fast in transportation. Fast Horizontally, Slow vertically. Extremely suspect able to pressure due to inability to act during WD (Luigi's main resource of movement).
Fireball: Slow and Defensive (Mario can use his offensively), hitcomfirm grants a FTilt which is more of a positional reward rather than a damage one, using the fireball requires the user to be extremely cautious in usage due to it's ease of being punished.
Combos: Extremely Vertical or Tech Chase based on ground
Range: Lack of disjoints and for combo starters, range. Wiff Punish is generally required to start a combo.

From my experience, Luigi is a character that has to play the way the matchup forces him to play. Matchups like Falco or Ganondorf require the Luigi to always be on the offensive with Tech Chasing, Combos, and edgeguarding. Matchups like Zelda or Kirby require Luigi to take his time by Wiff Punishing via Jab Combos and FTilts while forcing the opponent to approach (and be punished) via Fireballs. Matchups like Link require something inbetween where you wait for the right opportunity to go in due to Link's projectiles, but punish really hard due to his tech chasable/comboable weight.

On the other hand, Mario's playstyle is not nearly as locked. His fireballs and overall mobility (speed and precision) allow him to chose to play in a much more flexable style manner since he has the options to be Offensive Rush down or Iron Wall Defensive (sorta similar to Ryu from Street Fighter).

In otherwords, Mario's design doesn't require nearly as much matchup knowledge as Luigi, and inherently, he's easier to pick up as a character. Give Luigi time, and I'm sure you may feel differently about who's stronger. ;)

Only a NOOB

Smash Cadet
I really like this technique, thanks for sharing! I get on average twice the height with tornado mashing the D-Pad in all directions as I do even going into a thumb vibrate position for B-tapping (which is awkward in the middle of a match for me). And I actually already had down taunt mapped to Y for Footstool (since I never use that button otherwise), so mapping all the D-Pad buttons to B works perfectly for me, and isn't even a problem for the other characters I play. This even helps a little bit with my Mario recovery as well!

Johnohue

Smash Cadet
This thing is great. Makes it way easier to control how high you go too, and more accurate than just mashing B

Top Bottom