• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Easiest way to beat Falco with Fox?

Hiku

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
NEO#754
NNID
FreakyFlygon
I play Fox competitively, and at my weeklies I play this guy a lot who plays Falco and is pretty good with him. I have taken many sets off him, but sometimes he is able to take sets off me without even trying. It is kinda strange. I was wondering what techniques would be good for someone like me to use on this Falco player so that hopefully I can take sets off him more often. I have heard an L cancelled Neutral Air into shine is a pretty good way to rack up damage on spacies, but I am not completely sure.
Thanks,
Hiku

Last edited:

Mo0seHead

Smash Rookie
My brother is a falco main so I play this matchup basically everyday. probually my strongest tip to you is to mix up on how you deal with lasers, for example wavedash back out of sheild, which is really good against falcos who like to laser approach in nuetral. You can eat the lasers and go full agro, use the platforms to avoid lasers then come down with an attack, Sheild then do an aerial out of sheild, sheild than do an upsmash out of shield, and full hop above the lasers into an attack or whatever. This is really important because falcos nuetral game is free if you dont know how to deal with it, I would know because I was in that situation. At low percents its best to go for a grab, drill, or shine as they dont get puished by CC shine, except drill gets screred sometimes but very rarely. Also make the most of every grab and edgeguard becuase falco wins defianatly wins if the fox doesnt have a good grab game and are capable of good edguards. Thats about everything I can give you so I hope this helps

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
Shine him to knock him down, never let him get back up. You could think of it like reaction tech-chasing with shine, only you'd have 6 more frames of leniency. Really just move around (or be ready to shield) so he can't retaliate off of missed tech and if you can't get on top of him with the shine before he's able to act, you can still recreate pressure.

Nairing Falco at lower percents isn't that great since he can CC, and if he's airborne he'll tend to hit the ground shortly after, but if you're low with the nair you might get a shine or grab or utilt.

Also, Fox destroys Falco off of grabs. And as people are getting better at shining out of shield and converting off of it, shine OoS Falco approaches that aren't made with painstaking care.

To deal with lasers, wavedash back after laser when they do laser-> jump in works basically every time, but if they approached with another laser, it might not accomplish much. You could try to catch the landing with dtilt regardless. Quick nair oos with proper drift is also great, as is just CCing the laser. If they're coming in close enough for laser->ftilt or grab or something like that in neutral, it means you can move enough to just hit them as they come in with the laser.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
first off, there is no "easy" way to beat someone truly good.

Second off, actual matchup advice. Fullhopping is really good against falco, because it puts you above his laser range, and fox has a really good short hop. As an aggressive option Dair & Bair work really well, often times Bair can get early KO's. Dair can give a shine, or a grab. If they shield, then you have falco within really close quarters which lets you pressure him further (I usually just poke at their shield with a bair). I also have a love for shield stopping & having my back face falco, so I can Fullhop bair towards him.

Falco's laser is really damn good, i know. When you shield a laser, falco will do something afterwards. Now, against a really good falco, they will read your escape option (which, admittedly, I fullhop a metric ****ton), so try out different options. Wavedash OOS is a decent option, but remember, falco is such a good character that there is no super clear answer. If falco probably isn't going to hit your escape option, then do it.

Grab gets a **** ton of damage from a chaingrab, if you're good at converting when they land on platforms then that makes grab even better.

Falco's UpB doesn't have a charge hitbox on it so if you ever think that you have to "armada shine" him, really you can just kill him at any timing.

it should also be noted that this MU probably isn't my forte. If you want some chunky ass advice than ask me about Marth vs. Fox from either side, or Fox vs. Puff. I don't know too much about DI against falco, and I also know that he has a good amount of mixups due to Dair & Shine. I wish you success in the matchup :)

Top Bottom