• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Easiest Character"

RaginAzn

Smash Rookie
Hi, I'm wanting to know who is the "easiest" character in melee is. Melee in general is a very hard game and of course some characters are harder than others. I would like to know what YOUR opinion on the easiest character is. Please click on the strawpoll and vote :) http://strawpoll.me/6093261

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
Marth because he is easy to play for a beginner and is actually a very good character to learn the fundamentals of Melee. However he can be very master him and will take time to understand him more.

Last edited:

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Every character is hard AF. Nobody can pick up a character and instantly win without a metric ton of work.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Obviously, but its also obvious that some characters are harder than other characters.
But my point was that I do not think that some characters are harder than others. Unless we're going by "hardest to win a tournament with," In which case it would just be the tier list.

Last edited:

RaginAzn

Smash Rookie
But my point was that I do not think that some characters are harder than others. Unless we're going by "hardest to win a tournament with," In which case it would just be the tier list.
Ok, I see where your getting here but take my example, with Fox, you have to work so hard to get fox on point, doing techs don't others don't have ex: multishining, shine grab. Now obviously this gives the Fox an advantage. But what if Fox and a Sheik knew the same amount of tech? Lets just say purely L-canceling and Wavedashing and other basics, do you not think Sheik will have an easier time?

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Ok, I see where your getting here but take my example, with Fox, you have to work so hard to get fox on point, doing techs don't others don't have ex: multishining, shine grab. Now obviously this gives the Fox an advantage. But what if Fox and a Sheik knew the same amount of tech? Lets just say purely L-canceling and Wavedashing and other basics, do you not think Sheik will have an easier time?
No, because melee is much more than just tech. Even with immaculate spacing and great mind games, sheik is still disadvantaged to fox and needs to work just as hard for the win. Fox might take longer to learn at first, however time =/= difficulty.

RaginAzn

Smash Rookie
No, because melee is much more than just tech. Even with immaculate spacing and great mind games, sheik is still disadvantaged to fox and needs to work just as hard for the win. Fox might take longer to learn at first, however time =/= difficulty.
Your basically saying fox becomes the easiest character overtime.

Mid level: Peach

All Peach needs to know are crouch cancel down smash, turnips, and floats. She has huge hit boxes which helps her spacing game really well by giving her good priority. She can cause a lot of trades against opponents. She has 1 of the best CCs in the game and by far the best dsmash, so combine the 2 and you have something super good with 0 skill needed. Turnips annoyingly take up space. Floats have 4 frames of landing lag which make them almost unpunishable

Melee isn't hard perfectly in general. It's the easiest fighting game to learn. Aside from MK, it's basically the only fighting game that casuals ever play. Smash is a fighting game series about movement, which is very intuitive to learn. At a competitive level, the game gets difficult, but doesn't everything get difficult at a competitive level?

Massive

Smash Champion
Shiek.

Shiek has the most straightforward meta for a new player, and while some of her neutral options get a bit more complicated at higher levels she is still a very viable character with loads of options and few bad matchups.

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
Fox.

There's so much content here on the Melee forums to help you learn "x character". The majority of it here is Fox, because so much of the meta revolves around him. With so much content detailing nearly every aspect of Fox available here, he's bound to be the easiest to learn.

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
Originally I thought fox cause no bad matchups and his neutral/killoptions work well enough on enough characters to not get cheesed by matchup unfamiliarity that easily. I changed my mind though, fox is very easy to mess up and by extention is very likely to get upset by someone who just has a punishgame. For just 1,2 or even 3 sets this isn't an issue, if you're at a stacked tournament and theoretically any of your rounds to the finals can be your end you are a lot more drained than someone who uses less technically demanding characters. So atm I think the easiest thing to play is fox and some less frail/technical toptier secondary.

Single character would probably be sheik cause she's not technically demanding doesn't die that easy and is fast enough to not get camped forever.

Sutekh

Smash Apprentice
That's absurd, some characters are more definitely harder to play well than others. Look at Sheik vs Yoshi for example. Sheik is a character that almost anyone can pick up and play decently, as all of her moves string together pretty naturally. Most of her aerials autocancel, and she has a lot of easy set ups and into kill moves. On the other hand Yoshi is incredibly easy to punish, and he's very slow and clunky without a lot of experience. There's definitely a difference in the ease of access to different characters in the cast.

To answer the OP's question, I'd say Sheik is the easiest to pick up because of the reasons I stated above. Marth is probably a close second, but he's a lot harder to bridge the gap into mid-level play than Sheik imo, because he's punished really hard off of simple mistakes or when he tries to over-commit.

Fox is arguably the best character in the game, but I think he's far from the easiest. Fox relies heavily on using his speed to overwhelm the opponent, and he's easy to lose control of because of that. And being a fast-faller, he's combo bait for pretty much any character.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
That's absurd, some characters are more definitely harder to play well than others. Look at Sheik vs Yoshi for example. Sheik is a character that almost anyone can pick up and play decently, as all of her moves string together pretty naturally. Most of her aerials autocancel, and she has a lot of easy set ups and into kill moves. On the other hand Yoshi is incredibly easy to punish, and he's very slow and clunky without a lot of experience. There's definitely a difference in the ease of access to different characters in the cast.

To answer the OP's question, I'd say Sheik is the easiest to pick up because of the reasons I stated above. Marth is probably a close second, but he's a lot harder to bridge the gap into mid-level play than Sheik imo, because he's punished really hard off of simple mistakes or when he tries to over-commit.

Fox is arguably the best character in the game, but I think he's far from the easiest. Fox relies heavily on using his speed to overwhelm the opponent, and he's easy to lose control of because of that. And being a fast-faller, he's combo bait for pretty much any character.
It depends on the metric you use to define "difficulty." I was going off ease of use at the highest level of play after everybody has already poured thousands of hours into their character.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
To be perfectly honest I don't think Fox is that hard, and the reason he seems hard is because if you make a misjudgment in neutral than you might get grabbed and killed. It's not that you made a technical error, it's just your judgement was lacking. As far as his tech skill goes, it seems hard but after a little bit of time it really isn't, and he has a lot of basic yet very effective combo trees that don't require much work. So really I don't get why everyone thinks Fox is a super hard character to use

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
Easiest to initially be good has to do with technical skill required and easy to abuse mechanics. So Peach probably. But beyond initial (scrub) level, tier list basically.

Top Bottom