• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Easiest Character(s) to pick up

MetalMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GabrieloMiguel
I have been playing Smash since 64 but only really got into more serious playlate into brawl's cycle. I now play Mostly Smash 4 and would like to pick up PM again but a bit more seriously. As of now I cant use my main(Fox) so Ive been using Mario and Captain Falcon.

Who would you consider as the characters that can function as intended on an entry level of skill for PM?

Keman

Smash Apprentice
I have been seeing more of these type of posts lately it seems (good thing I guess people getting more into PM), and I believe the general consensus is that its best to just play characters you enjoy playing.

I also think a lot of people say characters like Marth, Link, Sheik, Mario as well as a few others I assume might be at face value easier to pick up from the start skill wise because their kit might be a little more straight forward or easier to comprehend and apply.

Overall though I would just play who you are really having fun with. All characters are viable and it's probably easier to motivate yourself to get better if you are enjoying the character you are playing.

Last edited:

JipC

Smash Journeyman
At this point people should know better than constantly recommending random "easy" characters
It doesnt matter what character you play, NOTHING is easy, nothing comes free, you wont win at any decent level of play because you picked the "easy" character instead of a "hard" one
Basically just play who you find the most fun and who you most easily understand the game through.
Go ahead and check out the "Picking your main" section at the bottom of this guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_6o5NHvI9P8-qHp2M8w1gDzL_-JNonEE81Mh4ulY1PY/edit

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
I think it's more of a easier to understand gameplan rather then easier to win, so...

Mario, Link and Sheik have fairly straightforward kits that are easy to familiarize yourself with. If you enjoy how a certain character plays, however, then feel free to play that character. Very few characters are unviable in this game (only Bowser, iirc), so if an easy to pick up character doesn't feel "right" (there are more then just the ones I mentioned that fall in that category), then by all means.

Have fun while you're at it, maybe?

MetalMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GabrieloMiguel
Thank you very much for your responses. I might have not made myself clear on the opening post. By easy I didn't mean a character that has an easier time winning with less effort. What I meant as some of you correctly assumed is a character who has a game plan simple enough that can be used from low level to high level play roughly the same way. As I haven't touched PM in a while, Playing fox with all his shenanigans is downright impossible for me right now. If I try to play him right now, I wont be going for waveshines or shine grabs. For now, I believe I will stick with mario as I seem to be doing the same things that people with more experience are doing at tournaments; albeit with worse spacing, timing and dropping combos.

TL;DR I dont wannaconstantly up-smash in neutral as fox since I will never learn. Ill pick mario since he plays basically the same at all levels, just more optimized as the skill grows.

Thanks for all your feedback!

Lunchmanalchemist

Smash Cadet
Thank you very much for your responses. I might have not made myself clear on the opening post. By easy I didn't mean a character that has an easier time winning with less effort. What I meant as some of you correctly assumed is a character who has a game plan simple enough that can be used from low level to high level play roughly the same way. As I haven't touched PM in a while, Playing fox with all his shenanigans is downright impossible for me right now. If I try to play him right now, I wont be going for waveshines or shine grabs. For now, I believe I will stick with mario as I seem to be doing the same things that people with more experience are doing at tournaments; albeit with worse spacing, timing and dropping combos.

TL;DR I dont wannaconstantly up-smash in neutral as fox since I will never learn. Ill pick mario since he plays basically the same at all levels, just more optimized as the skill grows.

Thanks for all your feedback!
Way to have self confidence. Come on man! It all about the Goku! NEVER GIVE UP YO!

Top Bottom