Earth, Fire, Wind, Water, and Staff, Brian spells the way!(Second moveset posted. Still being worked on)

Legendary Spirit Tamer

You've got the power!
Premium
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
NNID
Irene4
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
brian.png
Brian, the first RPG Protagonist of the N64 itself. He is the commander of the 4 elements, along with his mighty staff, a simple ahoge, a cape, and just clothing. He doesn't get armor. He doesn't get upgrades. No, he gains power by increasing the strength of his elements through hard work and training.

What can he do? Brian is able to create water pillars, throw fireballs, send blades of wind, or even launch large rocks. His spellcasting capabilities are near endless.

Where does he come from? A gem called Quest 64, the first rpg on the Nintendo 64. It was a bright and colorful game full of Celtic music, tons of unique enemies, and NPC's who all had unique model designs. He has trained at Melrode Monastery for most of his life, rarely being outside of it till the game actually starts. His father, Lord Bartholomy went missing months ago, intent on finding a stolen artifact called "The Eltale Book", to hopefully bring peace back to the land. When he didn't return, it was up to our young hero to take the stage.

Using his wits, he was able to overcome monsters upon monsters, dungeons of various elements, and even humans who became corrupted by the power of the 4 sacred jewels. Now his elite knowledge and power can become translated to Smash, where his boundless attributes pave the way for a greater brawling. This is his time.

-------------------------

Now that the introductions are done, Brian is able to command the 4 basic elements. Due to this, there's multiple ways to include his proper abilities. It could be akin to Shulk's style change, where his spells would somewhat change what element they become, or it could be a mix-match much like Ness/Lucas do. The hard part is figuring out how to balance the character.

When you look at his best stats, or even on average, you realize a few things; First, he's not much of a jumper. All he does is a little bonus spin when you beat an enemy. He doesn't jump, climb, or swim at all in his game proper. Obviously making it impossible for him to do any of this is completely pointless. Instead, make that part of him not so good. He would climb slowly, not swim for long before drowning, and have poor jumping capabilities.

On the other hand, despite being a mage, he has trained himself to be able to take physical attacks fairly well. He'd have average defense considering his design. But then you get to the damage factor. He does not lack this, being strong with damaging moves. Likewise, the knockback for most would be kind of mediocre, with a few stronger moves intended to be more KO attacks.

But then we get the bigger issues, a proper recovery. At first, my thought was for him to use his teleport moves. But then I realized they don't translate well to Smash. Exit and Return would only bring him to the starting point of the stage at best. It'd make more sense if they were akin to Mewtwo or Zelda's teleport Up B's. A small issue is the distance. Being he has fairly bad jumping, making it have a decent amount of range works well at first, but then you realize that he technically should be able to go through walls. That does not balance well. Another thought is something more akin to a quick summon. He could use a pair of Wings that would let him fly up(more akin to Pit in Brawl), but most notably, this would compensate for his horrible jumping.

Other ideas exist, but the focus overall is on all 4 elements. Once you get a good recovery style down, the rest is easier to make. In general, a gimmick is another difficult part. One idea is that he has a magic meter of sorts. It slowly fills up. Depending what magic he uses, some of it is stronger or weaker. At lowest, he can barely cast or use weak spell versions. While the idea has similarities to Robin, this including almost all of his arsenal. Likewise, his Staff itself would be strongest at full power, but it also would mean that using any spells(even recovery) would drain it.

A: Staff Swing
AA: Staff Cross
AAA: Head Stave
Running A: Homing Arrow 2
Forward A: Rock 1
Down A: Staff Trip
Up A: Wind Cutter 1
Smash A: Rock 2(Rock 3 full charge)
Smash Down A: Hot Steam 1(Hot Steam 2 full charge)
Smash Up A: Wind Cutter 2(Wind Cutter 3 full charge)
Air A: Wind Wall(if it hits an enemy, it may give them more weight, and slow them down)
Air Forward A: Large Cutter(he swings his staff forward, creating a large blade of wind, slicing forward for a few seconds)
Air Down A: Ice Knife(he points his staff downward and 4 blades of ice appear around him, cannot freeze, or do much, but looks rather sweet)
Air Up A: Fire Pillar
Air Back A: Homing Arrow 1(he stabs his staff backwards, creating three red arrows that spin around it, doing mediocre damage)
B: Fireball 1(Fireball 2 with slight charge, Fireball 3 with full charge)
Down B: Water Pillar 1(Water Pillar 2 with slight charge, Water Pillar 3 with full charge)
Forward B: Cyclone
Up B: Return/Exit(Return teleports him a certain distance equal to 1/3 inches times his current damage, directly towards the edge, and it will grab the edge if
applicable. Exit is the same as Mewtwo's Teleport, but only is in use while on the ground.)
Z: Grab
Z + A: Head Stave
Z Forward: Fire Bomb(he launches them forward in a lowball shot while they're encased in flames)
Z Downward: Ice Wall(light blue clouds appear around Brian, possibly freezing the enemy, doesn't move them very far or do much damage though)
Z Upward: Wind Walk(just throws them high into the sky, and the character launched goes much slower for 5 seconds than normal)
Z Backward: Rolling Rock(the character is send rolling on the ground backwards a few feet, if it hits someone, there's a small chance the hit character may join the
opponent in a rolling frenzy)
Air Dodge: Escape(similar to Mewtwo's, slightly longer, and isn't seeable where he happens to be like Mewtwo is)
Supermove(s)
When Brian grabs the Smash Icon, he gets 2 seconds to choose a following move by pressing Up, Back, Down, or Forward on the Control Stick. Default is
Forward.
Up: Extinction(The ultimate fire spell selects the highest damaged opponent, and if they have over 100% and more than 1 Life, then lose a stock(but stay in the same
place))
Back: Avalanche(The extremely powerful rock spell launches Boulders in a similar fashion to Onix's Rock Throw from SSB64, with wider range, but much less
height. The damage is 10% per boulder)
Down: Walking Water(This giant water spell starts by creating a Water Pillar 3 itself, and sending it forward for tremendous damage, but little knockback. Causes
about 20% to each opponent)
Forward: Ultimate Wind(Unlike the other spells, this one targets all opponents, including weak monsters if applicable. They take 30% damage each.)
If Brian has 150% or more, the moves change to these.
Up: Power Staff 2(A red beam appears below Brian and shoots upwards...doing no damage, though. For 30 seconds, he does double the damage he normally
would for pure Physical attacks only)
Back: Magic Barrier(a small red bubble creates over him, and then a somewhat larger bubble goes around him. For 20 seconds, all non-physical attacks, including
items, do absolutely nothing to Brian. However, Fans will break his shield even with a weak attack or throw. And Shield Breaker destroys it automatically.)
Down: Healing Level 2(Brian heals 30% damage onto himself.)
Forward: Weaken All(all opponents cannot use their normal shield for 10 seconds)
Taunt: He lifts his staff above his head, and circles it, then slams it into the ground.
Winning Taunt 1: He spins his staff and jumps up, via his classic winning taunt from Quest 64.
Winning Taunt 2: He puts his hand up to his staff and his staff is in a horizontal position, then creates a Red X that falls onto him, basically backfiring a Silence spell
and casting it on himself.
Winning Taunt 3: He quickly runs, then falls on his face. His staff stands up by itself, and glows a bright yellow, then finally dances for a little bit.
Costumes-
White
Brown/Blue
Green
Yellow
Red
Weight: 2
Power: 4
Speed: 3
Jump: 2
Usage: 1
Keep in mind I made this back during Brawl speculation.
Down B: Elemental Change. (Fire > Earth > Water > Wind(repeat))
B: Power Staff Lv 1/Confusion/Invalidity/Evade Lv 1
Up B: Red Wings/Yellow Wings/Blue Wings/Green Wings
Forward B: Magma Ball/Rolling Rock/Cyclone/Walking Water
R: Restriction Lv 1
Neutral A/A during Throw: Staff Strike
Throws:
-Up: Serpentfire Arrow/Earth Blast/Homing Bubble/Wind Shrieker
-Down: Fire Globe/Gui Punch/Water Globe/Sound Laser
-Foward/Backward: Fire Bomb/Rolling Rock/Walking Water/Wind Walk
AA: Staff Slice
AAA: Staff Upper
Smash Forward: Fireball/Rock/Bubble/Wind Cutter
Smash Down: Hot Steam/Earth Spikes/Ice Wall/Wind Wall
Smash Up: Fire Pillar/Magnet Rock/Water Pillar/Large Cutter
Aerial(s)
-Neutral: Hot Steam/Magnet Rock/Ice Wall/Wind Wall
-Directional: Homing Arrow/Rock Shower/Ice Knife/Ultimate Wind(all as stabbing moves)
Tilts: Compression/Weakness Lv 1/Drain Magic/Slow Enemy
Final Smash 1: Maximum Element
Final Smash 2: Elemental Ensemble(First the enemy gets blown near together, then they're frozen solid with ice, next comes a huge fireball from the sky, with a giant rock falling on 'em, sending them away a bit, depending their current damage)
Notably has pieces from Blue Cave and Crystal Valley, showing off both houses as well.
bluecavecrystalvalleyisleofskye1a.png

Arcadenik
Freduardo
Joinallthreacs.smash
Pholadis
SEGAGameBoy
Smash Puffe

https://imgur.com/a/06YRJEM On another note, the user ThatShadowLink ThatShadowLink has provided remade proper various logos via the official Smash design. We worked together to get these. I provided the original images and he did an amazing job at fixing them up! In order to properly view the images, click on them to enlarge.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
As always, I support Brian from Quest 64. I had memories of playing Quest 64 over 19 years ago (ugh... I feel so old). I didn't even finish the game because I didn't have the N64 controller pak at the time and I had to return it to Blockbuster (ugh... I'm officially old).

Legendary Spirit Tamer

You've got the power!
Premium
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
NNID
Irene4
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
As always, I support Brian from Quest 64. I had memories of playing Quest 64 over 19 years ago (ugh... I feel so old). I didn't even finish the game because I didn't have the N64 controller pak at the time and I had to return it to Blockbuster (ugh... I'm officially old).
I'm 33. I played it when the game first originally came out. I had the same issue, but eventually bought a controller pak.

What's kind of neat is that thanks to the Japanese version and the Gameboy Color remake(as well as maybe the spin-off puzzle game), more ideas for how to balance/create moves can come up. For instance, if you max out your elements in Eletale Monsters(Japanese version), all multi-projectile attacks get a ton more projectiles. This could be used for the final smash, as some kind of Elemental Overdrive. It has a similar idea to Mega Lucario, but the idea is that it only enhances projectiles instead. I forget how much it adds, as I'd have to double check the GameFAQs topic, but it does sound like a promising move. Being he still would have strong knockback moves like Rock or Water Pillar, it should still work out well.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I will be Tingle's age this year.

We have had Virtual Console since 2006... it's 2017 now and Quest 64 still isn't available. It's not like it's a licensed game like The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle. Then again, we didn't get that many N64 games on Virtual Console

Legendary Spirit Tamer

You've got the power!
Premium
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
NNID
Irene4
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Having Brian in Smash would be a dream come true.
Yes, yes it would. Even if it's only for the music itself.

I will be Tingle's age this year.

We have had Virtual Console since 2006... it's 2017 now and Quest 64 still isn't available. It's not like it's a licensed game like The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle. Then again, we didn't get that many N64 games on Virtual Console
My guess is there's more to it than just Imagineer still owning the series. Possibly they have to pay royalties to them as well as the artists who created the music, and considering they'd want to sell this at 10 dollars like general n64 VC games, one thought is they don't think it will sell enough to be worth programming a proper memory pak option. Since they can't legally modify the game, they don't have many other options.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm glad Nintendo consoles now can save your game progress and we don't need memory cards like we used to with N64 and Gamecube.

It really was unfortunate that Quest 64 needed a controller pak to save progress when other N64 games like Ocarina of Time and Banjo-Kazooie didn't.

Have you come up with Brian's moveset? I was thinking that maybe Brian could have a special move that changes the magic elements of his staff. It could be like Shulk's Monado Arts except Brian's staff cycles through the magic elements.

Legendary Spirit Tamer

You've got the power!
Premium
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
NNID
Irene4
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I have it somewhere on these forums. It was mostly focused on filling out the moveset in places that work. Not specifically a "gimmick" of sorts at the time. It has no major focus at all.

This version has 4 major spells for his Final Smash, depending upon what buttons you pressed quickly after B to initiate it. Up for Fire, Down for Water, Left for Earth, and Right for Wind. You had Extinction(removes 1 stock from the opponent as long as they have more than one, otherwise would increase their damage to a high percent), Healing Level 2(brings Brian back to 0%), Avalanche(akin to PK Starstorm, but the boulders are bigger, it hits more randomly, and has a bit more knockback and damage), and finally Ultimate Wind(hits everyone for massive damage with no knockback, and cannot be blocked by a shield, invincibility, etc.).

I dropped that Final Smash idea a long time back due to balance issues. Avalanche and Ultimate Wind are kind of reasonable, but the other 2 are not.

Anyway, I think the idea of using a magic meter(that has a number on it) to perform at his best could work. Using better abilities/spells would decrease it more. You'd still have the 4 basic spells, but if you tried to use something else while you are down to 1 magic, it would fizzle out. Moving around would slowly refill it, but using physical staff attacks would refill it more reliably. Basically, using the game's own MP system as his key gimmick.

Here's some ideas for his 4 basic spells and what they're mapped to;

B - Fireball(Tap for a single shot. Hold for a double shot. Full charge for a triple shot)
Down B - Water Pillar(Tap for a small pillar. Hold for a larger pillar. Full charge for a huge pillar)
Forward B - Rock(Tap for a small rock. Hold for a larger rock. Full charge for a huge rock)
Smash Up A - Wind Cutter(Tap for a single cutter. Hold for 3 cutters. Full charge for 5 cutters)

Tap would use 1 MP, Hold would use 2 MP, and Full Charge uses 3.

Now let's look at some Level 2 options.

Smash Down A - Hot Steam(In this case, the aura will expand depending how much you hold down. Tapping does a very small aura of steam. It has a small bit of stun time no matter how much, but little knockback and better damage.)
Air Back A - Homing Arrow(Just activating it gives you three arrows surrounding you. Constantly tapping it creates 5)
Smash Forward A - Magma Ball(The difference here is a little more unique than others. Tapping shoots out 1, holding shoots out 2, and full charge shoots out 3). However, unlike the other Level 2 options, this is closer to a Level 3 spell technically. Anyway, this would force a hit enemy to drop an item, remove any temporary enchantments, cannot be absorbed or reflected. The damage is always the same no matter what, based upon how many balls hit.

For those, tapping would use 2 MP, holding would use 3 MP, and full charge uses 4 MP where applicable. In Air Back A's case, it only uses 3 MP due to you not doing a full charge, but something equivalent to the holding option, which is tapping over and over.

It's pretty difficult to incorporate all the spells without making him doing a stance change. One thought is the taunt does this.

As for Up B, as I said, it'll probably be Wings. One thought is that he throws up a pair and summons a monster related to the color. Red would be Red Wyvern, Green would be Wyvern, Yellow would be Cockatrice. Hard to say for Black, Blue, and White.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Nintendo just trademarked the N64 controller. Maybe it means N64 Classic Edition might be announced next year.

It would be amazing if Quest 64 actually is included. It's one of my most-wanted games for the N64 Classic Edition.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The MP system sounds interesting. What's the maximum MP Brian can have? Could 100 MP be reasonable and more than enough considering fully charged Smash moves would use more MP and nearly all of Brian's moves use MP.

I'm also fond of the idea of Brian being similar to the Magician from Fantasy Life (one of my favorite 3DS games).

Legendary Spirit Tamer

You've got the power!
Premium
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
NNID
Irene4
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The official max amount is 500. I'm thinking going with 15 possibly. Maybe a bit higher. The idea is he can still be usable, but has to charge his MP from time to time. One thought for a move is based upon Drain Magic. Using it would give him some MP back, but also heal the opponent in return for that. Say, 10 for 10. The idea is it's kind of weak, but also doesn't heal much for balance.

Legendary Spirit Tamer

You've got the power!
Premium
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
NNID
Irene4
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You make Quest 64 sound like a good game.
Can't legitimately tell if this is sarcasm or not.

That said, it's mediocre at best. And that's from a major fan of it(I have my own Wikia and Booru dedicated to it, so...).

Anyway, have you played it or know a lot about the spells? It's easy supporting a character. It's hard figuring out a moveset and other such playstyle factors. XD

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It's easy supporting a character. It's hard figuring out a moveset and other such playstyle factors. XD
Quoted for truth. :052: That's how I feel with some of my most-wanted Nintendo characters like Toad, Dixie Kong, and Meowth.

*crosses fingers for Quest 64 on Virtual Console or N64 Classic Edition* I need to play Quest 64 again so I can finally beat it and get a better idea of what his moveset could be.

Legendary Spirit Tamer

You've got the power!
Premium
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
NNID
Irene4
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Quoted for truth. :052: That's how I feel with some of my most-wanted Nintendo characters like Toad, Dixie Kong, and Meowth.

*crosses fingers for Quest 64 on Virtual Console or N64 Classic Edition* I need to play Quest 64 again so I can finally beat it and get a better idea of what his moveset could be.
Well, you could always watch a Youtube LP. There's also some videos that showcase all 60 spells(15 per element). It's surprisingly easy to find the spells, even if it's not through a wikia/wiki(I'm still working on the Quest Wikia. It's not easy. >.<)

smash puffle

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5301-1958-8711
Sure, I'll support this good boy. Despite this probably never happening, I can't really say anything agaisnt it though, since I myself want a character that's never getting in as well being Kao the Kangaroo, so I can really relate.

Legendary Spirit Tamer

You've got the power!
Premium
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
NNID
Irene4
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If it helps, I'm working on a far more interesting moveset. Details still being finalized, but the suggestions about "changing elements" were taken into account.

Right now, balancing factors are the biggest concern, same with other key data for the full mechanics. It also relates to how I originally had an MP Meter, but I feel the Elemental Charge system is better. It has some slight similarities to Aura, but far more unique.

Legendary Spirit Tamer

You've got the power!
Premium
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
NNID
Irene4
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Dammit, Shannon killed everyone again
Did you suddenly find a hack or fanfic where she plays a bigger role other than the normal one?

Or more so not just being a simple manipulator. She is responsible for multiple deaths in-game by proxy, though it's hard to say if her goal was to have the villains killed or just for Brian to make his way to free Mammon. The villains being killed could've just been something that wasn't on her mind. She notably doesn't understand human life well, so it's probably the latter.