• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Early Competitive Mario Impressions

Iko-Seiko

Smash Apprentice
Greetings, SmashBoards!

I am Nyani, a Mario main from Brawl you've never heard of who just happens to have gotten her hands on the Japanese version of Smash 4 and had some tournament experience with it already(because NJ WOULD run a tournament on day 3). Because I've been so fortunate as to get some competitive play with my favorite plumber in so early, I thought I'd come and share the good news with those of you who may remember the darker days of maining Mario in Brawl.

Simply put, Mario isn't messing around this time. Everything he lacked in Brawl, mostly in the KO Power and Priority department have been granted to him, while the natural improvements given to the entire cast by the new engine's addition of things like hitstun have benefited Mario in a wonderful way. Let's go into some detail.

Movement

In Brawl, Mario had a decidedly average dash speed, decidedly average jump height, and decidedly average air control. Not much has changed in Smash 4, though his dash does feel a bit more agile than in Brawl. Smash 4 in general is a faster game, as well. Overall this lends to him feeling very much like the Mario we know and love; quick, smooth, and mobile. His aerial mobility is just right to allow you to weave in and out with bair pokes, and capitalize on the ones that hit just right. Dair remains a very safe option as well, as Mario's air mobility allows you to weave into shield range, but then out of grab range during the run of the attack, before autolanding it with a show of true platformer mastery.

Mario's dash speed is great, and his pivots feel great too. His pivot ftilt is great for outspacing read dashgrab attempts, and his pivot fsmash can be surprisingly evasive if used right. Mario's spot dodge and rolls are just as good as anyone else's in this game. He also posesses three very important AirDodge Aerials; his Nair, Bair, and Uair can all be used out of an airdodge from shorthop. These can be approach mixups or combo escapes. Not sure exactly how useful air dodge aerials are, but hey. Also, pretty sure that using a nair out of air dodge ends with less lag than the air dodge would have.

TL;DR - Mario plays like Mario. He's fluid and intuitive and jumps a lot.

Combo Game

Aww yiss. Probably my favorite part of playing Mario, and the area I felt most denied in in my Brawl days. Mario possesses, in my opinion, one of the more potent combo games in Smash 4 right now. Let's not waste any more time, and get to the part where Nyani lists some combos that work.

Nair->Grab on shield if you land FAST. Nair has next to no ending lag. Great option on shield if you can land into the grab.

Dthrow->Utilt x infinity. Seriously, this makes me so happy. Utilt juggles were a favorite of mine in Brawl, and they return as potent as ever, if not more. At 0, i've reliably gotten 3-5 utilts out of a dthrow. So good.

Utilt->Uair probably the best thing about Mario in this game. Utilt combos into Uair very reliably. Uair then combos into itself, meaning, yes, uair strings are back, baby.

Utilt->Dair
An option I'm not seeing used a lot, but it can yield some interesting setups. Dair is a great move in this game.

Uair->Dair mostly out of utilt. Dthrow->utilt(s)->uair->dair became a favorite of mine during the tournament.

Dtilt->grab More a frame trap than anything. Dtilt has much less ending lag in this game, so it's no longer useless. Off of dtilt, you can dash up and grab. If they air dodge, they'll end in enough lag that you get them with it.

Bair->Bair Listen up Mario players, I wanna see a lot of this. If you shorthop a bair, using that bair as soon as you leave the ground, you can bair again in that same shorthop, and both will come out. Pressure those shields, my friends. Sometimes this can link into a grab, but i believe it can be rolled out of.

CUSTOM COMBOS ARE REAL Mario is a character who excels with freestyle play, so as much as you should know these basics, remember that it's all going to come down to how well you can improvise that next followup.

KO Options

Mario's got some familiar toys here.

In Smash 4, top kills are paramount. Side blast zones on many stages are wide enough that many characters will live to 160+ if you can't sweetspot an fsmash on them(but more on that fsmash later). This isn't a bad thing at all, as Mario's usmash is back with a vengeance. Hitting behind him, then above him, then in front of him, I found myself using this attack to punish rolls a lot. It was reliably giving me top KO's in the 125%-140% neighborhood, which is solid in this game. Learning to use this to punish poorly spaced aerials, rolls, or recoveries will yield you some satisfying KO's.

Mario's fsmash remains the dynamic, explosive palm of fire that t's been since Melee. I've noticed two major things about this move so far. First, it's a bit harder to sweetspot than it was in Brawl, though this may be due to me being used to the stutter step for spacing. Second, sweetspotting it doesn't seem to matter as much. It has significantly more power if it connects with just Mario's hand this time around. I found myself using this attack to punish aerials and recoveries as well, though in different situations than usmash. I was getting KO's in the 120%-130% area with this as well. Sorry I can't be more detailed about that... I'll try to update this bit later.

Dsmash is as fast as ever, but only slightly buffed in power. It's great for a quick haymaker, but don'y expect it to KO below 150% reliably.

Mario's gimping game is strong. I feel like, at this point, I don't even need to explain the cape, and so I won't. The FLUDD is much easier to utilize and more than anything, sets up for meteor smashes and Capes. The FLUDD and Cape together form a mighty edge guarding combo that will likely evolve into something very formidable as this game develops.

Custom Moves

This matters, because at the tournament I went to, these were legal. I'll only write about the three custom specials I used for now.

Fast Fireball: The name i'm giving the fireball that shoots straight with no gravity. The animation for this move has less ending lag than the basic fireball, and can therefore be used fluidly out of shorthop like Brawl's fireball. However, it shoots at a height that prevents it from being truly useful on approach to many characters. Still, I found the faster-moving projectile very useful, especially for quick damage pokes, though there were still situations where I would've preferred Fireball Classic.

High Pressure Fludd: Basically how FLUDD should always be always. This variation produces a much larger gush of water with a significantly harder push. I had a match against a Ganondorf player where this move alone completely nullified his recovery. It's also very effective for pushing enemies away on their approach to reset to neutral stance. However, this variation seems to not affect opponents in their shields.

Gust Cape: Gust cape is the truth. Gust cape is gospel. Gust cape is love, gust cape is life. This variation restores the same amount of aerial stalling to the cape that it had in brawl, as well as giving the cape a very useful windbox on swing. I was able to effectively use this windbox to give me space on recovery, especially if my opponent was charging a smash attack near where I needed to land. But it gets better. If the hitbox of the cape itself connects, not only does it still turn the opponent around, and reverse their directional input, but it pushes them significantly harder with the windbox. This often results in the opponent's directional input being reverse to match the windbox, and sometimes even a recovery move's momentum being turned, and accelerated by the windbox. The gimps are too strong with this thing. I really can't think of a reason not to use it.

Matchups

While I didn't play quite enough matches to write a detailed section on this, I can say with confidence that I have not yet encountered a single character that i felt significantly disadvantaged against as Mario. His kit is versatile enough to give me a fun and engaging match against everyone from ROB to Robin. We'll see how this develops.

So there. All the impressions I can give of playing Mario in Smash 4 competitively for 3 days. Obviously, this is woefully incomplete, and we're all sure to discover more as this game progresses. If you guys like this, I'll definitely come back and update it! I hope some of you find this useful. Mario's a contender this time around, let's get out there and show it.

May you walk with the winds of the Gust Cape ever at your backs,
-Nyani

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The airdodge change if I understood you correctly is quite interesting. So basically Mario's airdodge I assume has 10 frames less ending lag? (and I assume more or less this may be a universal change to most of the cast) This would be significant because it's considerably less commitment than say...rolling. And on a read, it is an option against zoning.

I don't think Mario's combo game is nearly as good as you're trying to sell it though. You have to pick your moves really carefully at 0, because u-tilt chains CAN be interrupted at low percents. The primary thing that I want more data on is effectiveness of Jab canceling, which I heard might be nerfed globally, but I wouldn't know since I don't own the game or a 3DS.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Greetings, SmashBoards!

I am Nyani, a Mario main from Brawl you've never heard of who just happens to have gotten her hands on the Japanese version of Smash 4 and had some tournament experience with it already(because NJ WOULD run a tournament on day 3). Because I've been so fortunate as to get some competitive play with my favorite plumber in so early, I thought I'd come and share the good news with those of you who may remember the darker days of maining Mario in Brawl.

Simply put, Mario isn't messing around this time. Everything he lacked in Brawl, mostly in the KO Power and Priority department have been granted to him, while the natural improvements given to the entire cast by the new engine's addition of things like hitstun have benefited Mario in a wonderful way. Let's go into some detail.

Movement

In Brawl, Mario had a decidedly average dash speed, decidedly average jump height, and decidedly average air control. Not much has changed in Smash 4, though his dash does feel a bit more agile than in Brawl. Smash 4 in general is a faster game, as well. Overall this lends to him feeling very much like the Mario we know and love; quick, smooth, and mobile. His aerial mobility is just right to allow you to weave in and out with bair pokes, and capitalize on the ones that hit just right. Dair remains a very safe option as well, as Mario's air mobility allows you to weave into shield range, but then out of grab range during the run of the attack, before autolanding it with a show of true platformer mastery.

Mario's dash speed is great, and his pivots feel great too. His pivot ftilt is great for outspacing read dashgrab attempts, and his pivot fsmash can be surprisingly evasive if used right. Mario's spot dodge and rolls are just as good as anyone else's in this game. He also posesses three very important AirDodge Aerials; his Nair, Bair, and Uair can all be used out of an airdodge from shorthop. These can be approach mixups or combo escapes. Not sure exactly how useful air dodge aerials are, but hey. Also, pretty sure that using a nair out of air dodge ends with less lag than the air dodge would have.

TL;DR - Mario plays like Mario. He's fluid and intuitive and jumps a lot.

Combo Game

Aww yiss. Probably my favorite part of playing Mario, and the area I felt most denied in in my Brawl days. Mario possesses, in my opinion, one of the most potent combo games in Smash 4 right now. Let's not waste any more time, and get to the part where Nyani lists some combos that work.

Nair->Grab on shield if you land FAST. Nair has next to no ending lag. Great option on shield if you can land into the grab.

Dthrow->Utilt x infinity. Seriously, this makes me so happy. Utilt juggles were a favorite of mine in Brawl, and they return as potent as ever, if not more. At 0, i've reliably gotten 3-5 utilts out of a dthrow. So good.

Utilt->Uair probably the best thing about Mario in this game. Utilt combos into Uair very reliably. Uair then combos into itself, meaning, yes, uair strings are back, baby.

Utilt->Dair
An option I'm not seeing used a lot, but it can yield some interesting setups. Dair is a great move in this game.

Uair->Dair mostly out of utilt. Dthrow->utilt(s)->uair->dair became a favorite of mine during the tournament.

Dtilt->grab More a frame trap than anything. Dtilt has much less ending lag in this game, so it's no longer useless. Off of dtilt, you can dash up and grab. If they air dodge, they'll end in enough lag that you get them with it.

Bair->Bair Listen up Mario players, I wanna see a lot of this. If you shorthop a bair, using that bair as soon as you leave the ground, you can bair again in that same shorthop, and both will come out. Pressure those shields, my friends. Sometimes this can link into a grab, but i believe it can be rolled out of.

CUSTOM COMBOS ARE REAL Mario is a character who excels with freestyle play, so as much as you should know these basics, remember that it's all going to come down to how well you can improvise that next followup.

KO Options

Mario's got some familiar toys here.

In Smash 4, top kills are paramount. Side blast zones on many stages are wide enough that many characters will live to 160+ if you can't sweetspot an fsmash on them(but more on that fsmash later). This isn't a bad thing at all, as Mario's usmash is back with a vengeance. Hitting behind him, then above him, then in front of him, I found myself using this attack to punish rolls a lot. It was reliably giving me top KO's in the 125%-140% neighborhood, which is solid in this game. Learning to use this to punish poorly spaced aerials, rolls, or recoveries will yield you some satisfying KO's.

Mario's fsmash remains the dynamic, explosive palm of fire that t's been since Melee. I've noticed two major things about this move so far. First, it's a bit harder to sweetspot than it was in Brawl, though this may be due to me being used to the stutter step for spacing. Second, sweetspotting it doesn't seem to matter as much. It has significantly more power if it connects with just Mario's hand this time around. I found myself using this attack to punish aerials and recoveries as well, though in different situations than usmash. I was getting KO's in the 120%-130% area with this as well. Sorry I can't be more detailed about that... I'll try to update this bit later.

Dsmash is as fast as ever, but only slightly buffed in power. It's great for a quick haymaker, but don'y expect it to KO below 150% reliably.

Mario's gimping game is strong. I feel like, at this point, I don't even need to explain the cape, and so I won't. The FLUDD is much easier to utilize and more than anything, sets up for meteor smashes and Capes. The FLUDD and Cape together form a mighty edge guarding combo that will likely evolve into something very formidable as this game develops.

Custom Moves

This matters, because at the tournament I went to, these were legal. I'll only write about the three custom specials I used for now.

Fast Fireball: The name i'm giving the fireball that shoots straight with no gravity. The animation for this move has less ending lag than the basic fireball, and can therefore be used fluidly out of shorthop like Brawl's fireball. However, it shoots at a height that prevents it from being truly useful on approach to many characters. Still, I found the faster-moving projectile very useful, especially for quick damage pokes, though there were still situations where I would've preferred Fireball Classic.

High Pressure Fludd: Basically how FLUDD should always be always. This variation produces a much larger gush of water with a significantly harder push. I had a match against a Ganondorf player where this move alone completely nullified his recovery. It's also very effective for pushing enemies away on their approach to reset to neutral stance. However, this variation seems to not affect opponents in their shields.

Gust Cape: Gust cape is the truth. Gust cape is gospel. Gust cape is love, gust cape is life. This variation restores the same amount of aerial stalling to the cape that it had in brawl, as well as giving the cape a very useful windbox on swing. I was able to effectively use this windbox to give me space on recovery, especially if my opponent was charging a smash attack near where I needed to land. But it gets better. If the hitbox of the cape itself connects, not only does it still turn the opponent around, and reverse their directional input, but it pushes them significantly harder with the windbox. This often results in the opponent's directional input being reverse to match the windbox, and sometimes even a recovery move's momentum being turned, and accelerated by the windbox. The gimps are too strong with this thing. I really can't think of a reason not to use it.

Matchups

While I didn't play quite enough matches to write a detailed section on this, I can say with confidence that I have not yet encountered a single character that i felt significantly disadvantaged against as Mario. His kit is versatile enough to give me a fun and engaging match against everyone from ROB to Robin. We'll see how this develops.

So there. All the impressions I can give of playing Mario in Smash 4 competitively for 3 days. Obviously, this is woefully incomplete, and we're all sure to discover more as this game progresses. If you guys like this, I'll definitely come back and update it! I hope some of you find this useful. Mario's a contender this time around, let's get out there and show it.

May you walk with the winds of the Gust Cape ever at your backs,
-Nyani
Hello! @ Iko-Seiko Iko-Seiko , or Nyani! My name is Simon, also a Mario main too but I don't start on Brawl, but Melee. I remember Mario was quite a fast pace and light character in Melee, he was also fine in Brawl.
Meeting a big Mario main is a happy thing to me. I would like to add your 3ds friend code but sadly my room is full. I might delete one of them so you can add me first. 1521-3033-2948

Last edited:

Poxnixles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vitiel
3DS FC
3823-8576-9592
Thanks for the writeup! Playing the demo's already got me hyped up on Mario but glad to see he still holds up well in the full game.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Glad to see a write up about my main mario! I'm really glad to read abit about the high pressure fludd and gust cape, i've felt like even in brawl it had its uses to push and throw off oponents timing, but even moreso with a stronger flood! as for the cape, im glad gust cape gives it the uplift back as from the video's id seen normal cape doesnt do it and that was extremely disappointing to me as its such a good bait tactic to cape above oponent then smack em. Question though, the gust cape creates a a gust that pushes in addition to having the reversal properties of normal cape then right? is there any downsides to gust cape and high press flood compared to the normal variations?

BSP

Smash Legend
^He said high pressure FLUDD doesn't seem to affect people in shield, which, unless it got changed from brawl, neither did normal FLUDD.

That being said, I think Mario looks great too. FLUDD gives much more reward in this game, and with the expanded blastzones, gimping potential will probably be big factor.

Iko-Seiko

Smash Apprentice
I can spot no downside to the gust cape. But i may be blinded by its magnificence. The high pressure fludd might take a little longer to fully charge, and moves mario back more, but i think it's worth it for the ridiculous annoyance it can be to the opponent.

NNID
JoseOmar
3DS FC
5043-2182-4536
First, I want to say thanks for representing Mario. It's hard to find any solid gameplay of him. I seen you at the tournament using combos and custom movesets. I only have the demo so if it's possible can you try this combo dgrab>utilt>upb(shoryuken version). Can you tell me how much damage it does from 0?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
NNID
JoseOmar
3DS FC
5043-2182-4536
33 damage.

5+7+21.
Thanks bro. I've been trying to find a channel with custom movesets. One question, if it's you playing, does the shocking cape always trip? In the video, the second time he used it it looked like Bowser was going to trip but because there was no floor I don't know for certain. I know Mario's ftilt trips sometimes but it's not reliable.
o.O Just noticed Mario's shocking cape gives him forward momentum in the air. That could come in handy with recovery and chasing rivals off stage.

Last edited:

Chaos0205

Smash Cadet
This is an awesome thread. I got plenty of ideas from it. I only have the demo right now, so I can't experiment with the custom movesets, but I'm glad that it seems as though Mario will have a bigger competitive scene this time around.

rabbit.soaring

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rabbit.soaring
3DS FC
0130-2883-3067
Is Fair worth using over Bair? I've managed to back through into Fair once or twice, but if I get the timing wrong I usually die, or almost die. Bair seems more reliable in general.

Iko-Seiko

Smash Apprentice
Fair is a good move on reads and on characters with more predictable recoveries. For general gimping purposes i use bair because it's just faster and more versatile, and requires less harsh commitment.

Sir Bubbles

Smash Journeyman
Nyani, I've seen you play Mario and I think you're a really good Mario player.

I have a question, is Doc or Mario better? I personally believe Mario is better.

Iko-Seiko

Smash Apprentice
Nyani, I've seen you play Mario and I think you're a really good Mario player.

I have a question, is Doc or Mario better? I personally believe Mario is better.
Thanks!

I think mario is better right now, mostly because of his recovery. Doc has pretty ok combo game, but mario's flows more easily. And doc's tornado is so difficult to mash for on 3ds that i cant really tell if it's any good on recovery or not. His cape not giving any air stall opens some pretty interesting options, but really hurts his recovery. However, with custom specials, you can do a lot to mitigate the recovery issue, and since it's looking like those will be tournament legal for the 3ds version, we could see the two pretty closely tied.

TL;DR I like Mario better, but doc certainly isnt bad.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Is no secret that FLUDD got better in this game and has become a very useful move. But reading about High Pressure FLUDD, it's basically the same effect but augmented with a slight increase in charge time, so I have to ask: Is there any reason to not use High-Pressure FLUDD over regular FLUDD? Because it sounds that if I want the Down B with the push back effect I should stick with the custom one.

Iko-Seiko

Smash Apprentice
Is no secret that FLUDD got better in this game and has become a very useful move. But reading about High Pressure FLUDD, it's basically the same effect but augmented with a slight increase in charge time, so I have to ask: Is there any reason to not use High-Pressure FLUDD over regular FLUDD? Because it sounds that if I want the Down B with the push back effect I should stick with the custom one.
I havent had the chance to test, but i'm pretty sure that normal fludd has a better effect uncharged than the high presssure fludd does.

Top Bottom