• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Eager and Willing # 1: Forward Air from melee to brawl

guidance is of a dire need at this moment. I feel as though the fair is now useless in comparison to the same move of melee. can someone please explain to me the differences between the two in the most in-depth way possible.

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
It comes out a bit faster now and has less lag. Auto-cancels easily out of a short hop. Doesn't spike all the time like it used to, but non-sweetspotted f-airs have decent knockback and are usually just as good as a edgeguard as the sweetspotted spike (though a spike is still very much preferred).

It's a really good edgeguarding move but isn't quite as good on-stage as it used to be. I rarely use it on-stage but I use it as my primary edgeguard move. Rising f-air is useful in some situations.

IceAge

Smash Cadet
I find the move pointless too. In my experience, Yoshi's up air or egg throw is a much better edgegaurd. It seems the moves hitbox is tiny, I only hit if it ocassionally if I accidently mess up on my nairs.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I actually like the move, dunno'.

Bigman's combo video is a great example of how its unorthodox hitbox can be used to your advantage.

D

Deleted member

I remember i used to think the same way. No idea what to do with this move. But once i learned the sweetspot and was able to do it consistantly, its one of my most used edgeguards. Nair is good edgeguard, but this is a spike, and its got a little start up lag which can throw off opponents, and rising fair is just about the greatest thing ever.

Oh, my bad, i thought this was about when to use the fair =/

IceAge

Smash Cadet
The sweet spot is not the problem, its so simple to airdodge I just can't ever hit them. ;(

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
The sweet spot is not the problem, its so simple to airdodge I just can't ever hit them. ;(
Airdodging Yoshi's Fair makes you vulnerable to Yoshi's follow-up Uair!

Sometimes I feint a Fair just to hit them with the latter because you're right, they do air-dodge a lot. Use that predictability to your advantage. ;)

IceAge

Smash Cadet
Airdodging Yoshi's Fair makes you vulnerable to Yoshi's follow-up Uair!

Sometimes I feint a Fair just to hit them with the latter because you're right, they do air-dodge a lot. Use that predictability to your advantage. ;)
Jump, egg throw, double jumped upair seems so much more reliable. I suppose I should try to practice fair though. My friends are starting to predict me...

After airdodge most people double jump or use a quicker aerial, or I am flat out too far away to nair///upair. I cannot practically use the attack...

Gindler

Smash Champion
I actually like the move, dunno'.

Bigman's combo video is a great example of how its unorthodox hitbox can be used to your advantage.
Where's htis video at? I've been trying to find out this hitbox but don't like to be punished while learning a move.

Mind games and edge-guarding seem like perfect for just one move , but its so predictable i've always felt that its a waste of efforts. What could be a good set up for the fair, i can only think of throwing the egg at certain percentage and trying to follow up with this rising skull bash... any thoughts on the set-ups for this spiker.In melee i had a short hop fair with a short hop bair combo set that would rack up the percentage and get the yoshi haters in the air for the uair, but now i feel without this move i have to push my grounded combat skills. i think us yoshi mains no that yoshi isnt a pushover but against high tiers and especially characters with disjointed hitboxes yoshi has to work a lil bit harder than say a marth or toon link.

and ohh... thanks everyone for the help. Im still a noob and have been intimidated with posting for help, since in other threads noobs get flamed with any question. This is why i always loved the yoshi forums.

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
I like d-smash off the edge, running off after them and f-airing them as I fall near them . It's easy to recover regardless of it hitting or not. If it spikes, awesome. If not, it leaves them in a BAD position to recover, setting up another edgeguard move.

Of course, this isn't exactly guaranteed (or safe since they can dodge and footstool hop you) but it's worth trying at least once, right? It's pretty awesome when you can land it.

D

Deleted member

Ok so DK is below the stage. He airdodges ur fair and he dies. =/ OFten times they cant escape it. U usually dont do it if they are above stage, unless u wanna do a rising nair. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9GjjgwXF_Y U can watch the whole thing or just skip to i think 1:45 to the end, but i land 2 fair spikes here , might help i dunno =/

Gindler

Smash Champion
I can't get the thing to load, is it a unsweetspotted Fair to a rising sweetspotted Fair? That's like the sexiest thing in the game (well that I've done anyway, I've seen some other really "sexy" things in brawl for sure)

bigman40

Smash Master
Fair isn't pointless. Rising Fairs are a great way to get someone if your coming back to a stage. Really, you need to find a perfect time when you have your opponent on the run to pull the move. Heck, you even have to be a little gutsy, cause most of the time, those players won't expect you to use the move at random times.
Fair can be used to dodge certain atks (counter method). I did it once I think in my combo vid. Yet, the video shows the potential in it.

Meta Dude

Smash Rookie
i like the move a lot, my only problem with is that it has weak priority, thus must be mastered with timing and unpredictibility. anytime someone is trying to recover from the (below) stage, this is a great option. that or gimp with d-air. i try to catch people in the middle of the double jump.

this is a great edgeguarding move, but don't edgeguard with JUST this move. egg tosses are better in certain situations, i think you have a better chance of racking up damage with them from the edge (depending on how good you are with eggs). eggs have a little higher success rate, but this (and n-air) are KO's.

Great thanks to everyone, ive tried the new strategies for it which was once a waste of a move for me is now a good added swat. integrating it into my game will be difficult, but with buffering system and hitting jump jump fair i have got a lot of suprise spikes. Yoshi forums rock.

Top Bottom